pattyboy

Query of Sibling of USC in Chad, HCR (UN) registered refugee from CAR

5 posts in this topic

Hello all,

BACKDROP: I brought my wife back from Africa with me 4 years ago; green card acquired w/out problems just over 3 years ago. I'm US Army so she could have applied for USC 2 months ago but I received orders just then and now we are relocated. She has to wait 3 months on location and will now be applying for USC in 2 months. We've been married for the duration and have a great relationship. I'm a USC by birth; wife should be a USC within months (hopefully).

PREDICAMENT: My wife's family is entirely displaced past 18 months because of war/strife in Central African Republic. My wife has a 26 year old brother (my brother in-law) now in N'Djamena which is the capital of Chad. He suffered a serious abdominal wound in the fleeing process (non penetrating, accidental) which has been stabilized surgically, but continues to have significant problems putting him at high risk given the extremely dilapidated infrastructure available for refugees. He is registered as a refugee by the UNHCR and the two of them are very close. There is a US consulate in N'Djamena.

QUESTION: Does anyone have any suggestions as to simplest and/or fastest way for one of us to sponsor him under any visa program. I'm an Army doc and brought my wife here because she is very good people. She speaks several languages and has already obtained 2 associate's degrees (with honors); they really will be great citizens. It's painful that to hear of her brother she's so close to possibly croaking because of the absolute abyss so much of Africa is in. Any and all suggestions welcome.

pattyboy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If he needs medical treatment that can be obtained in the US and not locally and can afford it you could look at a B2 Visa for Medical purposes.

When your wife becomes a USC she can petition him, obviously a long wait, but any future wife and children can come to.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

He could apply for a B-2 visa for medical treatment. He will need to show he can afford to pay for his course of treatment. If he can not, then he will not get the visa.

There is nothing that you or anyone can sponsor him for. Once your wife becomes a US citizen, she can petition for him. It will be about 12-13 years for a visa, and there is no way to shorten the wait.

Sorry.

Doubt a B-2 will work given the description but will look into it. Thank you both for your replies.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You probably know better than most the cost of treatment in the US, if a B does not work there are plenty of other countries where he could obtain quality treatment at a much lower cost.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.