10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I have been paying into a UK pension fund since I have been working in the UK. I have given notice of my job in the UK and fly out to the US on the April 2 and get married April 27. When I find myself a job in the US I will obviously want to transfer my UK pension fund over to any US based pension fund that may be offered to me when I start employment out there.

Does anyone have any experience of going about this?

Thanks

Pete

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know that when I looked to do the same thing with my Canadian pension that I was not able to do so - it just wasn't an option. So, I have left my pensions (two separate employment ones) in Canada. When I retire, I will have at least 3 non-personal sources of pension income from outside of the country.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I don't know, but it's a great question as me & D have no clue what to do with his either.

Found this link with some infomation on what's possible. Thought you might find it useful too.

Cheers

Pete

http://money.uk.msn.com/Planning/Pension/S...cumentid=144304

My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

When I asked about this both of my UK pension company and of my US company I was told this was not possible.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

I asked both my UK pension companies about doing just that and I too was told not possible.... would love to hear from anybody who has managed to transfer a UK pension to the US...

Kez

I've been told that it is possible to transfer a private pension/investment plan to the US.

I have an investment plan - I wasn't old enough to be considered for a pension plan by my employer - in the UK which I stopped paying into when I left in October. The company I'm with in the US offer a 401(k) scheme and I asked the plan administrator about moving it over. I'm in the process of doing so now. Basically, I transfer my UK investment plan to a US-based IRA (because I want to cash some of it out to kit out our house) and then into a 401(k).

Apparently, this is possible. You have to ask your UK plan administrator for the 'distribution paperwork'.

Mark

Filed: Timeline

Yes you can do it for a Private pension but not for a pension plan done through your UK employer.... I have tried and was told nope cant be done... I now have 2 pension plans that are sitting frozen in the UK that I will claim when I reach 65..

Kez

Yes you can do it for a Private pension but not for a pension plan done through your UK employer.... I have tried and was told nope cant be done... I now have 2 pension plans that are sitting frozen in the UK that I will claim when I reach 65..

Kez

My pension/investment plan was done through my UK employer. However, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was outsourced and therefore classed as a 'Private' pension.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.