Abygail

Oh God! Please Help!

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

Sorry that I keep posting with questions, but I'm desperately trying to figure out what to do. Does anyone have an idea what would happen if I did send in the I-751 with only the front of the greencard copied? Would we still get the NOA, and ext. letter, and then maybe later they'd send an RFE? I could do the I-90 first, but I recall reading about somebody having problems with the biom. appt. where they were told they needed to to the I-751...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I can't be much help - did you try calling them on 1-800-375-5283? Frankly I would do the I90 (but that's just my opinion), because if you don't report it lost, its a misdemeanor for not carrying it. Perhaps you could try to PM Yodrak or Meaxana or one of those guru types, and ask them for advice....

Apologies I can't help more (F)...

AOS: ND - June 5 2006 | RFE - June 15 2006 | FP Notice - June 30 (Rescheduled to Sept 16) | AP ND - August 14 2006| Walk-in FP - Sept 5 (FP cleared next day!) | Interview - Sept 8 2006 (Approved!) | Welcome Letter - Sept 13 | EAD received - Sept 19 (kinda moot since I'm waiting for GC) | GC received - Sept 23 2006 - Woohoo!!

I-751: 06/10/08 Mailed package to VSC direct (per memo instructions) not TSC. The wait begins... | 06/11/08 Package received at VSC (12.12pm) | 06/19/08 Check cashed | 06/20/08 Received NOA1 in the mail - ND is 06/17/08 | 07/10/08 Received Biometrics Appt Letter - ND is 7/7/08 | 07/22/08 Biometrics (had to do ink & paper also...) | 07/22/08 Touched | 07/23/08 Touched | 02/11/09 Transferred to CSC (got email)... | 02/12/09 Touched | 02/20/09 Touched (but no email) | 03/24/09 Approval letter arrives in the mail! Approval date is 3/18/09 from VSC | 04/03/09 Received card, postmarked 3/31 from CSC

N-400: 06/11/09 Mailed to Lewisville Lockbox | 06/12/09 Package received at Lockbox and signed for at 1.31pm | 06/18/09 Check Cashed | 06/19/09 NOA, PD 06/12/09 | 07/06/09 Biometrics letter received, ND is 07/02/09 | 07/24/09 Biometrics appointment | 08/06/09 IL received, ND 08/03/09 | Interview 09/14/09 at 9.30am (approved!) | Oath 10/21/09 | USC

Timeline
Sorry I can't be much help - did you try calling them on 1-800-375-5283? Frankly I would do the I90 (but that's just my opinion), because if you don't report it lost, its a misdemeanor for not carrying it. Perhaps you could try to PM Yodrak or Meaxana or one of those guru types, and ask them for advice....

Apologies I can't help more (F)...

I would file the I 751 with the evidence you have and at lease get the ball rolling.

Thank you for the responses! I've tried calling, but can't seem to get through to speak to anyone without a case/receipt number. I'm understanding that even if we sent the I-90, we'd still have to wait ~month for a NOA/receipt, just like with the I-751. And, if I send the I-751 and then want to report it lost, I can't imagine they'd tell me to do the I-90 too? Maybe I'll have some luck and be able to schedule an infopass appt. (still none available). My husband still thinks we can just call somebody or go in to report it, just like that. Thanks again for the opinions!

Filed: Timeline

Abygail,

If you're reasonbly certain that the wallet and card are not likely to be found I would have your husband apply for a replacement card right away.

And whenever he's ready to apply for removal of conditions, send whatever he has to send - one cannot send what they do not have. If all he's got is a photocopy of the front of the card, he should include an explanation for why he's sending the front only.

Stop worrying about the things that you have no control over and start doing the things that you can do.

Yodrak

My husband just lost his wallet, which of course had his CR1 green card in it. We were just preparing all the evidence to send in to lift conditions, as it expires 5-29-07... and our luck would have it that I hadn't copied the front & back yet. I'm really losing it right now and I hope you all have some hopeful advice for us. I've read about filing the I-90 and it seems that it would be about the same process and amount of time & $ as the I-751.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Abygail

P.S. Sorry, I meant to mention that I do have a copy of the front only.

Timeline

Any idea how long it would be to get some documentation from the USCIS on the replacement, so that this could be included with the I-751? (I'd like to file for the I-90 electronically to speed things up, but need another credit card first.) I wish we could still apply to remove conditions with what we have, and then report it lost somehow.

Thanks for the help,

Abygail

Abygail,

If you're reasonbly certain that the wallet and card are not likely to be found I would have your husband apply for a replacement card right away.

And whenever he's ready to apply for removal of conditions, send whatever he has to send - one cannot send what they do not have. If all he's got is a photocopy of the front of the card, he should include an explanation for why he's sending the front only.

Stop worrying about the things that you have no control over and start doing the things that you can do.

Yodrak

Timeline

I guess it would be worth the double fees just to have a receipt in his possesion... so would the I-90 be cancelled once the I-751 is being processed? Sorry, I keep thinking having the I-90 and I-751 in almost concurrently will just complicate things (i.e. applying for a replacement card that will be expired, scheduled for biometrics back-to back)?

If you feel they way your are going is wrong then why not go talk to your local office.... if an infopass is not available then try a walk-in you may have to wait around for a long time but at least you would get to talk to an immigration officer and they maybe will have the answers you are looking for....

Kez

Timeline

Some good news - I was finally able to schedule an infopass appt. for a week from now. Think the I-90 could wait till talking with an immig. officer? The appt. is at their cust. serv. ctr., not their field office which is where I'm understanding they process id cards / passport stamps with form I-797 or approval notice (we don't have anyway). So, we'll see what they say at the customer service center.... and don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of your answers and advice!!! BTW, the office locations here say you must schedule an appt. (we'd be waiting all day in Miami & still might be with an appt.)

I guess my confusion is partially from USCIS' instructions for the I-90:

E-File this form to replace a "Green Card."

Note: Do not use this Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring. You must apply accordingly to remove the conditions:

If you became a conditional resident through a marriage to a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident, submit Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

Thank you again to everyone, and please excuse all my ramblings.

Some good news - I was finally able to schedule an infopass appt. for a week from now. Think the I-90 could wait till talking with an immig. officer? The appt. is at their cust. serv. ctr., not their field office which is where I'm understanding they process id cards / passport stamps with form I-797 or approval notice (we don't have anyway). So, we'll see what they say at the customer service center.... and don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of your answers and advice!!! BTW, the office locations here say you must schedule an appt. (we'd be waiting all day in Miami & still might be with an appt.)

I guess my confusion is partially from USCIS' instructions for the I-90:

E-File this form to replace a "Green Card."

Note: Do not use this Form I-90 if you are a conditional resident and your status is expiring. You must apply accordingly to remove the conditions:

If you became a conditional resident through a marriage to a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident, submit Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

Thank you again to everyone, and please excuse all my ramblings.

That is because if you have a 10 year unconditional Greencard you use the I-90 to renew it.... they are advising you that if you are trying to renew a 2 years conditional Greencard you must file form I-751... not the I-90

Kez

Timeline

That's what I was thinking, thanks for the response.

I keep going back and forth on this, but I guess now I either need to be patient for a week till the appt. or decide which to go forward with('do what I can do'). This is especially driving me crazy since we had just finished gathering all our evidence and could have submitted the I-751 tomorrow.

Timeline

Ok, here's how the Infopass appt. went---

We didn't get past the officer at the front door, since she said there was nothing they could do for us (stamp passport) till we have a pending case. When I first explained our situation, she said that there was no point in filing the I-90 and paying the fee because they wouldn't process it with the card expiring anyway, and to send in the I-751. I pointed out that the I-751 instructions said to include a copy of the front and back and she suggested including an explanation with our I-751 submission that also questioned if we need to do the I-90 as well. She asked when the wallet was lost, and was thinking we could send a copy of a police report (couldn't file one without proof of id theft). I asked if sending the I-751 without doing the I-90 would result in our case being denied. Again, no answer, but pointed out that we could file the I-90 electronically and pay the fee if we wanted to.

Still undecided...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Whatever you do, do it BEFORE the official expiry date of the greencard. Remember that when I751 removal of conditions is not filed before the expiry of a conditional greencard that this can be the result according to I751 instructions:

"If the petition is not filed, you will automatically lose your permanent resident status as of the second anniversary of the date on which you were granted conditional status. You will then become removable from the United States. ..."

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Abygail,

Yodrak

I agree with this advice.

Good luck whatever you choose to do, Abygail. :)

Edited by Peachbythebeach

britishmensig-4_zps4475e6b2.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.