112 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Someone correct me if I am wrong, with regard to driving, I believe if one has a foreign drivers license they can legally drive in the USA until their I-94 expires? Then they would have to apply for a state driver's license?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Do you mean a name change at Social Security for the USC? I guess less hassle because it is not further complicated by having to find your proper immigration status and name entry in a database which could have a hiccup. And workers are very used to changing USC names. They are not all experienced with K1s. Name changing on everything is a general hassle when you start thinking of all the places. So I decided not to do it.

For an immigrant, Social Security actually wants you to keep your status current with them. I don't think everybody knows that. You are first a visa holder. Then a permanent resident. Then (if you want) a U.S. citizen. My husband updated for those changes. You don't have to go after EAD, but it will get the 'Not valid for work' wording removed from the card. Or you can wait and get that removed after the greencard is issued.

Yes, I'm the USC and would be taking my Fiance's last name after we get married. I was thinking to keep things as simple as they could be, I should just wait to change my last name that way all of my documents, tax information, etc. has the same last name. Would you agree that it's just a potential issue that could be avoided while we are going through the AOS process?

So ideally Social Security would like the immigrant to update their status each step of the way. After he enters the US on the K-1, then when he receives his EAD/AP card, then again when he receives the green card... but we could just go after he enters on the K-1 and then again once the green card is issued.

It's not a quick process I know, but we just want to get everything done the most efficient way possible. I'm most concerned we could do something out of order that could delay the process in some way.

If my fiance enters the US, we apply for the marriage license, get married 3 days later, then submit the whole AOS package once we receive the marriage certificate, getting the SSN after the AOS package is submitted wouldn't be a problem, would it?

AOS Timeline:

POE: 11/4/2015

SSN: 11/6/2015

Wedding: 11/13/2015

AOS Package Sent (I-485, AP/EAD): 11/21/2015

AOS Package Received: 11/24/2015

NOA x3 received texts & email: 12/3/2015

Check Cashed: 12/3/2015

NOA Hardcopies: 12/7/2015

Received Biometrics Letter: 12/18/2015

RFE listed on USCIS Website: 12/22/2015

Received RFE letter in the mail: 12/26/2015

Sent RFE back Fedex: 12/28/2015

Biometrics Appt: 12/30/2015

EAD/AP Approved: 3/2/2016

EAD/AP Received: 3/10/2016

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi!

I like this thread. I'm in NJ now (Monroe TWP)

yesterday we applied for marriage licence and we will get it next Tuesday, they told us to wait (72 hours)

all we needed were: my foreign passport, proof of address for both of us (for me my Canadian DL), my fiancee(USC) id, proof of address, 01 witness (my fiancee friend) , you need, for both of you fathers and mothers full names and place of birth, if married or what ever, proof of dissolution + 28$ cash. that's it.

can anybody help me with this all process?

it has been 04 days since I Enter US. so we plan to ask for SSN next Tuesday cause Monday is Columbus day/ then get married on October 17/, then wait for marriage certificate, then go to register the car +title and the driving licence.

so my question is what is the best order to do thinks, since applying for AOS/EAD/AP, must wait for my marriage certificate and how about my I-94, it will expire on January, 02, 2016 and the waiting time to receive EAD/AP combo card is 90 days,

so what will be my status then after the I-94 expiration date? I'm really confused, my fiancee is working and finish very late and I'm trying to do thinks by myself.

thanks for help

NOA1 date: 9-22-2014

interview: September 18/ approved

visa received: September, 24, 2015

POE: October,5,2015

AOS/EAD/AP: October 29,2015 

EAD/AP approved:01/26/2016 card received: 02/02/2016

AOS approved:02/02/2016

02/09/2016 GC received

ROC/CITIZENSHIP/Passport-refer to my timeline...

I'm Done now, thank you to this wonderful VJ community ...Good luck to everyone....

happy tom and jerry GIF

Hi!

yesterday we applied for marriage licence and we will get it next Tuesday, they told us to wait (72 hours)

all we needed were: my foreign passport, proof of address for both of us (for me my Canadian DL), my fiancee(USC) id, proof of address, 01 witness (my fiancee friend) , you need, for both of you fathers and mothers full names and place of birth, if married or what ever, proof of dissolution + 28$ cash. that's it.

it has been 04 days since I Enter US. so we plan to ask for SSN next Tuesday cause Monday is Columbus day/ then get married on October 17/, then wait for marriage certificate, then go to register the car +title and the driving licence.

so my question is what is the best order to do thinks, since applying for AOS/EAD/AP, must wait for my marriage certificate and how about my I-94, it will expire on January, 02, 2016 and the waiting time to receive EAD/AP combo card is 90 days,

so what will be my status then after the I-94 expiration date? I'm really confused, my fiancee is working and finish very late and I'm trying to do thinks by myself.

thanks for help

Your visa requires you to marry within 90 days. Your I -94 is the official 90 day count document and shows you entered the country "with inspection" (legally). Your AOS/EAD/AP are not really tied to the I-94. Once your applications are accepted, you enter a period of "authorized stay" that allows you to remain while a decision is made on your AOS, even if the 90 days (I-94) are up.

I would describe your status a being in limbo. A K1 is kind of a nothing until you get EAD or a greencard, Once your I-94 expires, you don't have to leave, yet you have nothing on paper that says you can stay.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Your visa requires you to marry within 90 days. Your I -94 is the official 90 day count document and shows you entered the country "with inspection" (legally). Your AOS/EAD/AP are not really tied to the I-94. Once your applications are accepted, you enter a period of "authorized stay" that allows you to remain while a decision is made on your AOS, even if the 90 days (I-94) are up.

I would describe your status a being in limbo. A K1 is kind of a nothing until you get EAD or a greencard, Once your I-94 expires, you don't have to leave, yet you have nothing on paper that says you can stay.

Thank you so much for your help.

02/09/2016 GC received

I'm Done now, thank you to this wonderful VJ community ...Good luck to everyone....

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline

Hi!

thanks for help

Awesome - My only relatives in the States live in Monroe TWP.

So for proof of address for me (the visa holder) - can I use a UK proof of address? (you say you used your Canadian DL) so im assuming a foreign address counts?

If not, whats the quickest way to get myself on my fiances american address? Phone bill? CC?

Thanks

Timeline

Awesome - My only relatives in the States live in Monroe TWP.

So for proof of address for me (the visa holder) - can I use a UK proof of address? (you say you used your Canadian DL) so im assuming a foreign address counts?

If not, whats the quickest way to get myself on my fiances american address? Phone bill? CC?

Thanks

Good!!!

yes its count.

I gave the clerk, my bank bill with Monroe address on my name, she asked me how long have you been at this address? , I said 4 days then she said no I need a proof of address where you have been more then 3 months. then I gave her my Canadian DL. and told here that the Canadian Adress is not valid any more , she was ok with that and we were set.

02/09/2016 GC received

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline

Also - I got my drivers permit already and I don't have my EAD. I'm taking my road test on December 1st. You just have to have the permit in the same name as your SS. So once I get my EAD i'll go back to the MVC and get it all changed over.

Timeline

Hey!! I'm in Monroe TWP too!!

I had no idea there were so many of us in South Jersey! We should definitely all meet up! I currently know nobody!! awesome

Me neither, my fiance had friends , but not me, my VJ members are my friends here. awesome :joy:

Please ToriaM. can you tell me how long to wait to get marriage certificate?

we will get married in 8 days, so we will have an intimate ceremony then 02 weeks later we will have a party with friends. do you think we gonna be okey with the pictures , cause I don't want to wait after the party to send AOS/EAD/AP.

thanks a lot

02/09/2016 GC received

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline

Me neither, my fiance had friends , but not me, my VJ members are my friends here. awesome :joy:

Please ToriaM. can you tell me how long to wait to get marriage certificate?

we will get married in 8 days, so we will have an intimate ceremony then 02 weeks later we will have a party with friends. do you think we gonna be okey with the pictures , cause I don't want to wait after the party to send AOS/EAD/AP.

thanks a lot

It depends where you're getting it from. It takes 72 hours to receive it after requesting it. And also depends where you're getting married. We got married at the courthouse so our certificate was ready 2 days after. You have to pay $10 per certificate, and I'd suggest getting at least 3. And you'll need some pictures of the wedding, I submitted 3 different ones.

Timeline

oh thank you.

so for the pictures: all the previous pictures (for K1 visa process) + the wedding pictures or just wedding pictures?

02/09/2016 GC received

happy tom and jerry GIF

Timeline

Hey!! I'm in Monroe TWP too!!

I had no idea there were so many of us in South Jersey! We should definitely all meet up! I currently know nobody!!

Im going to be based in Jackson, South Jersey from early Nov. Would def be great to all meet up. Lots of mutual common ground...

Perhaps we could find a suitable bar and all meet for a drink? Would be good to get to know fellow VJ members in NJ!

It depends where you're getting it from. It takes 72 hours to receive it after requesting it. And also depends where you're getting married. We got married at the courthouse so our certificate was ready 2 days after. You have to pay $10 per certificate, and I'd suggest getting at least 3. And you'll need some pictures of the wedding, I submitted 3 different ones.

My fiance and I have just booked a court date with the judge to get married on the 12th nov. We are picking up the license from registry office a few days before.

Will I need pictures from the day for my AOS? I will get 3 copies if I can and and will keep all paperwork for reference. Im not too sure what I need from this as proof going forward.

This how we did it:

- Poe

- Applied for marriage license

- Applied for SSN 3 days after Poe with I-94 and passport

- Got married

- Added on my husbands account with just SSN and passport

- Applied for state ID with SSN, passport, I-94 and marriage cert. for name change (to get driving license I need to pass knowledge test apply for permit and then pass driving test but for now I can drive on my UK driving license)

- Sent off AOS package

Hopefully when I receive EAD I'll go back to SSN office to change name and remove the "authorized with DHS etc etc"

I guess it all depends on which state you're in as well.

Edited by Yanirose

Patience Is A Virtue - [The Beneficiary]

AOS From K1:
Approved 26th of September 2016

ROC:

Approved: 16th August 2019 (July 2018 Filer)

N400

Filed online: November 25th 2019

April 27th 2021: INTERVIEW APPROVED - Officially a US citizen - the End! 

Timeline

This how we did it:

- Poe

- Applied for marriage license

- Applied for SSN 3 days after Poe with I-94 and passport

- Got married

- Added on my husbands account with just SSN and passport

- Applied for state ID with SSN, passport, I-94 and marriage cert. for name change (to get driving license I need to pass knowledge test apply for permit and then pass driving test but for now I can drive on my UK driving license)

- Sent off AOS package

Hopefully when I receive EAD I'll go back to SSN office to change name and remove the "authorized with DHS etc etc"

I guess it all depends on which state you're in as well.

Hi every body.

2 questions please;

1- is it mandatory to change my name on my husband name? if so how can I do it?

2- is the SSn mandatory to get driving permit (for DL) Im in NJ?

02/09/2016 GC received

happy tom and jerry GIF

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.