Narant

Canadian fiancee visiting while I file I-129F?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

One thing that nobody here has addressed yet is your "I file the I-129F about a year before the wedding date" statement. Be very careful with this. The way you wrote it sounds like you have a wedding date in mind. The general consensus on VisaJourney is to not make any wedding (or moving) plans until she has the visa in hand. You can never anticipate any delays in the process. You don't want to be in a situation where you've put down money for a wedding and end up having to cancel or postpone.

I-129F Sent : 2014-12-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-12-22

I-129F NOA2 : 2015-06-23

NVC Received : 2015-07-09

Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2015-07-09

Medical : 2015-09-21

Interview : 2015-09-28 APPROVED

Visa in hand : 2015-10-02

US Entry : 2015-11-21

Wedding : 2015-12-12

AOS/AP/EAD request sent : 2015-12-22

AOS/AP/EAD NOA1: 2015-12-30

AOS Biometrics : 2016-01-25

AOS Approved : 2016-03-01

Permanent Resident card in hand : 2016-03-07

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will just mention 2 things about going the K-1 route...

"Assuming everything works out she gets her K-1 Visa, which is valid for 6 months..."

The visa is actually good for 6 months from the date of the MEDICAL EXAM (not 6 months from when the visa is issued, which is a common misconception). Now, unless she lives in a city with an approved doctor, she'll probably just do the medical right at the final stage of the process along with the interview. But others have been caught in a tight spot because they went and had the medical done early thinking they were just knocking things off the list. Then their visa is issued and they find they have much less than 6 months to use it. So just be aware.

Second, as others have said, it is possible for her to cross the border to visit during the process. However, be sure she brings along proof of ties to Canada in case she needs to convince the US CBP that she does indeed intend to return after the visit. May not ever be an issue, or it might. They'll be aware she has intent to immigrate. Better safe than risk getting turned around at the border.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

One thing that nobody here has addressed yet is your "I file the I-129F about a year before the wedding date" statement. Be very careful with this. The way you wrote it sounds like you have a wedding date in mind. The general consensus on VisaJourney is to not make any wedding (or moving) plans until she has the visa in hand. You can never anticipate any delays in the process. You don't want to be in a situation where you've put down money for a wedding and end up having to cancel or postpone.

This too. If you're just planning to run to the courthouse once she arrives on the K-1, then there's no issue. But if you're trying to plan a big wedding soon after you THINK she'll have the visa, you're taking a huge risk.

A simple paperwork error can set things back weeks or months, and obviously you have zero control of the things that can happen on USCIS' end. Once you get to the consulate stage, you'll have a much better idea of how things are going and a little better control of your timeline. A little less risk at that point to start making solid plans, but even still, always give yourself some leeway in case there are delays.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wouldn't make plans based on the ideal timeline, as someone noted above...a simple error or omission can extend the process unintentionally. Your original post made it sound like you believe she can use AP to go back to Canada to work for a while and that is not the intention of it - once she enters the US, you marry and you file for AOS/AP/EAD.....she is working towards becoming a permanent resident of the US. If you're right on the border then yes, there are other VJers who work cross border.

I wanted an August wedding but hey, I got married in November because Montreal was backed up :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

K 1 will take a little longer than the 2 months after she applies / easier for a Canadian citizen but still dependent on number of applications received and visas available when it reaches the NVC stage.

I agree why not marry on one of these visits and do the ! 130?

Filed: Timeline
Why not just have her come down right now and get married
We are considering the CR-1, but can she not get in trouble if she comes stating her intention is to visit and then gets married during a 10 day trip?
One thing that nobody here has addressed yet is your "I file the I-129F about a year before the wedding date" statement. Be very careful with this. The way you wrote it sounds like you have a wedding date in mind.
Yes thanks, I meant to say we have a loose idea of when we'd like to marry, but we don't plan on any sort of elaborate ceremony. We understand anything can happen with Visas.
However, under possible K-1 interview questions it says that she can potentially be asked for proof of arrangements. Are those necessary, and what could cheap options be for those? If we were to just run to the courthouse upon her arrival, there wouldn't be much to show for that in advance.
But others have been caught in a tight spot because they went and had the medical done early thinking they were just knocking things off the list. Then their visa is issued and they find they have much less than 6 months to use it. So just be aware.
Thanks for the warning. In my understanding, once they schedule her for an interview they will ask her to apply for the medical examination. Can we count on this taking two trips to Montreal (she lives in Eastern Canada)? Or is it ever possible to do both at once by scheduling the appointment for roughly the same period as the interview (just hopeful thinking)?

Timeline

Yes thanks, I meant to say we have a loose idea of when we'd like to marry, but we don't plan on any sort of elaborate ceremony. We understand anything can happen with Visas.

However, under possible K-1 interview questions it says that she can potentially be asked for proof of arrangements.

Thanks for the warning. In my understanding, once they schedule her for an interview they will ask her to apply for the medical examination. Can we count on this taking two trips to Montreal (she lives in Eastern Canada)? Or is it ever possible to do both at once by scheduling the appointment for roughly the same period as the interview (just hopeful thinking)?

You don't need to prove you have arrangements for the wedding, all you need is a fresh letter stating that you intend to marry within 90 days, and be able to prove your relationship. Keep all boarding passes, receipts showing that you were both in the same place at the same time (even if that means going Dutch sometimes), take lots of pictures of both yourselves together and with each other's friends or family, mail, email, etc. They might not need or ask for the information at the interview, but better to have more than you need.

You can definitely do the medical and the interview in the same trip. Medisys (the Montreal location for the medical) needs 3 days to get the results, so it isn't a one day thing, but definitely doable if she times it properly. You can't book the medical in Montreal unless you have your interview date.

Edited by Anthony and Becky

Timeline

Thanks A&B, so possibly she could try to schedule the appointment for around a week before her interview date and then go and knock both out without worry? That would certainly lessen the burden.

Yes, even the same week. When I was doing my medical on Monday, there was someone there from the Maritimes that told me his interview was this week. If her appointment is on a Friday, she could do her medical the Monday prior and have her results in time (from what I've seen, the K1 interview appointments are usually pretty early in the morning - mine is next Monday @ 7:40 am).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.