Andy&Jiezel

Are foreigners required to attend pre-marriage seminars?

39 posts in this topic

Hi,

This is a list of documents I read are needed to get married in the Philippines, but I don't know if as foreigner I'm required to attend the pre-marriage seminars. The only thing I saw for foreigners was just the "Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate Legal Capacity to Marry" and copy of my passport page.

1. Birth Certificate
2. CENOMAR
3. Pre-marriage counseling certificates by DSWD
4. Cedula (1 original, 2 copies)
5. At least 2 valid ID's

6. Passport photo

7. Marriage license application (form 90) from LCR office

I'm going to Philippines in September to get married and want to make sure I didn't miss anything. If anyone could tell me what we need, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hi,

This is a list of documents I read are needed to get married in the Philippines, but I don't know if as foreigner I'm required to attend the pre-marriage seminars. The only thing I saw for foreigners was just the "Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate Legal Capacity to Marry" and copy of my passport page.

1. Birth Certificate

2. CENOMAR

5. At least 2 valid ID's

6. Passport photo

I'm going to Philippines in September to get married and want to make sure I didn't miss anything. If anyone could tell me what we need, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hello. Yes, both of you should be present at the pre-marriage seminar, be it in civil or church wedding. Congrats btw! ?

There are ways around it. We hired a lawyer when I was there, got to skip the pre-marriage seminar and got the marriage license fast tracked. It took just a few days. Whether you want to do that or not it's up to you. I think the lawyer charged us 3500 php.

There are ways around it. We hired a lawyer when I was there, got to skip the pre-marriage seminar and got the marriage license fast tracked. It took just a few days. Whether you want to do that or not it's up to you. I think the lawyer charged us 3500 php.

Thanks so much, I think this is the best way to go forward with getting married. Having to wait 2 weeks for the marriage license puts it too close to my return date.

It also says that it usually takes 1 - 2 months to get the CEMAR from NSO. How long did it take for you to get it so you could file I-130?

Thanks!

Rizza&Dennis,

Thank you so much!

Hi,

1. Birth Certificate

2. CENOMAR

5. At least 2 valid ID's

6. Passport photo

Here is how to do it under 10 days. But everyone, including the officials, must be on the same page to pull this off.

1. So have your fiancée check with local registrar to see if this will work for you. Most times you could file for the license in advance and complete other requirements when you arrive. You need to check with the registrar and see if they will do this.

2. Then you go to the Filipino Embassy near you with a filled out marriage license (just your half) and asked them to certify the document. They should do this and usually will cost about $25 and a return visit the next day to pick up the form.

3. Once you have the document and then send it to your fiancée. Next have her fill out her part and take it to her local registrar for filing. Do this about three weeks before your arrival to help in meeting the 10 day requirement. She also has to give the registrar her CEMAR.

4. Upon arrival go to the US embassy (you must make an appointment), and get a legal capacity to marry. Cost $50 fee.

5. Now take your legal capacity to marry and a copy of passport entry to the registrar. They may give a release date of the next day for marriage license. However you need to attend the family planning seminar. 6. Returned after the seminar, and get the license. Now go and get married and have a happy life together.

This has been done before but your actual mileage may vary. Good luck.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

I just got married last week here in Davao. I am American and she's Filipino.

I am 60 (Divorced) and she's 35 (single).

Nobody asked anything about family planning seminar? I guess it doesn't apply to younger than 30 years. There is an age limit.

What age is your wife?

When we spoke to the lawyer we did discuss the family planning seminar, and we didn't really want to sit through that and the lawyer told us there was a way around going to it and getting the license rush processed so we just went with that. I was surprised because I was expecting to go through the seminar and wait a lot longer for the license, but it was very quick with the lawyer getting rush processing approved.

After we did the civil ceremony and gave the signed license back to the lawyer, I think we got the marriage certificate in 2-3 weeks. I honestly don't remember exactly how long.

When we spoke to the lawyer we did discuss the family planning seminar, and we didn't really want to sit through that and the lawyer told us there was a way around going to it and getting the license rush processed so we just went with that. I was surprised because I was expecting to go through the seminar and wait a lot longer for the license, but it was very quick with the lawyer getting rush processing approved.

After we did the civil ceremony and gave the signed license back to the lawyer, I think we got the marriage certificate in 2-3 weeks. I honestly don't remember exactly how long.

How did you find lawyer? My fiance's sister was married by lawyer, hoping we can use same lawyer in her hometown. They live in Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija.

The marriage certificate was NSO issued? I've read the USCIS requires the NSO issued marriage certificate.

Many thanks!

I just got married last week here in Davao. I am American and she's Filipino.

I am 60 (Divorced) and she's 35 (single).

Nobody asked anything about family planning seminar? I guess it doesn't apply to younger than 30 years. There is an age limit.

What age is your wife?

I'm guessing you meant older than 30 years?

My fiance is 31 yo, so I'm hoping we are not required to attend seminars or have to wait the full 10 days for marriage license, as it will put it too close to time I have to return to US.

Thanks!

How did you find lawyer? My fiance's sister was married by lawyer, hoping we can use same lawyer in her hometown. They live in Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija.

The marriage certificate was NSO issued? I've read the USCIS requires the NSO issued marriage certificate.

Many thanks!

We went to the local registrar at Quezon City where I had planned to get the form, fill it out and take the seminar in the afternoon. When we got there though and asked the guard where to go he suggested we talk to one of the lawyers that had an office in the building there on the second or third floor. So we went to where he directed us, my now-wife explained the situation to the lawyer and we got cracking on the paperwork. We kept in touch with the lawyer through texting and met her the next week to get the marriage contract. When we decided to do a civil ceremony in Quezon City then and do a religious ceremony in Mindanao later (because the paperwork would take forever to process from the province versus quezon city) the lawyer even arranged for us to get someone to officiate and then file the signed license afterwards. We got the certificate of marriage a few weeks later. I don't believe it is the NSO copy, I believe that one has a red ribbon on it? This one is stamped and signed by several people in the registrar's office, one of whom is designated an NSO authentication officer. I used that when submitting my I-130. Now they haven't approved mine yet so maybe we will get a RFE, but I was told it would be months for the proper NSO copy with the red ribbon and figured worst case I would get an RFE and have it in hand by then. (Of course now I'm seeing data that Philippines I-130s are going super fast and maybe I won't have it in time). I mean it is a very official looking marriage certificate. I'm not sure why USCIS wouldn't accept it, but we'll see.

As I understand it ...

The I-130 requires the NSO issued marriage certificate (MC) and NOT the court MC. It comes on NSO pink (I think) thick paper.

It indicates to the US (or any) that the marriage has been registered in that country and it's a done deal.

To get the NSO MC it requires one taking in hand the court MC to the Hall of Justice and ask for an NSO certification. Here, you have two ways. Either pay a fee and get 'Advanced Endorsement' to get it faster (some say 10 days but the Hall of Justice will tell you longer like 2-3 months) OR, leave it the whim of the employees in which case you might get it in a year or longer!

I just got married in Davao. Waited about 10 days to get an SMS from court that I can pick up my court MC. I went there right away and took it to the Hall of Justice. I paid 75 p for the Advanced Endorsement and was told to wait 2 months for the NSO MC.

Now, I wouldn't listen to the guard here coz ever body would tell you something different. Plus, you'd have no clue why they tell you what they tell you!

Just understand what is needed and do it. Might need an expediter (Lawyer?) if you can't deal with such a time consuming system.

Besides that is the way things are done in the PI, I don't know why the solution to everything is go get a lawyer.

To the best of my limited knowledge EVERYONE needs to attend the LCR seminar which includes family planning / responsibilities in the afternoon. The morning session at least for us was mostly English for my behalf, the afternoon mostly Tagalog. I thought it would be mostly bola-bola and was trying to get my asawa to find a way out. It wasn't and we both found it to be worthwhile.

My suggestion which worked for us is first to see what day seminars are conducted at the LCR you are using. Arrive in PI 2 days before. Day 1 go to USEM to get the previously scheduled Legal Capacity doc. Day 2 go to LCR seminar. Chill for 10 day waiting period. Day 12 get married.

You can then leave and wait for all the filings to catch up. You need to send at last a copy of the nso MC with your I130. Original must be able to be shown at interview.

The 10 day wait MAY be able to be shortened depending on how accommodating the lcr clerk is.

If you are planning for a Catholic church wedding it gets more complicated because you are SUPPOSED to attend a 6 week pre-cana seminar. Some parish offices may collapse that into 1 day if you explain your situation and again if the priest will accommodate you.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Besides that is the way things are done in the PI, I don't know why the solution to everything is go get a lawyer.

To the best of my limited knowledge EVERYONE needs to attend the LCR seminar which includes family planning / responsibilities in the afternoon. The morning session at least for us was mostly English for my behalf, the afternoon mostly Tagalog. I thought it would be mostly bola-bola and was trying to get my asawa to find a way out. It wasn't and we both found it to be worthwhile.

My suggestion which worked for us is first to see what day seminars are conducted at the LCR you are using. Arrive in PI 2 days before. Day 1 go to USEM to get the previously scheduled Legal Capacity doc. Day 2 go to LCR seminar. Chill for 10 day waiting period. Day 12 get married.

You can then leave and wait for all the filings to catch up. You need to send at last a copy of the nso MC with your I130. Original must be able to be shown at interview.

The 10 day wait MAY be able to be shortened depending on how accommodating the lcr clerk is.

If you are planning for a Catholic church wedding it gets more complicated because you are SUPPOSED to attend a 6 week pre-cana seminar. Some parish offices may collapse that into 1 day if you explain your situation and again if the priest will accommodate you.

And it was helpful in our case that her ninong worked at the municipal and pushed the papers thru. Even with that still took almost 3 weeks to get NSO marriage certificate. No one ever ask for CENOMAR.

2013/05/03 Married

2013 CFO seminar to change name

2013 Passport issued in married name

USCIS

2015/06/27 Sent I-130

2015/06/29 Priority Date

2015/0701 NOA1

2015/08/05 NOA2

NVC

2015/08/17 Package received at NVC

2015/08/26 Received DS-261/AOS bill

2015/08/29 Sent AOS/IV

2015/08/31 AOS/IV scan date

2015/09/01 DS-260 submitted

2015/09/21 3 n/a (CC)

2015/09/28 Receive confirmation email of CC waiting interview date

2015/10/01 Interview date scheduled (P4)

Manila Embassy

2015/10/12 SLEC Medical, required to get doctor certificate and return the 30th.

2015/10/19 Went to hospital to get the doctors certificate for SLEC

2015/10/30 Appointment with doctor at SLEC for evaluation

2015/11/03 Completed medical

2015/11/05 Interview scheduled - APPROVED

2015/11/06 CEAC changed to issued

2015/11/11 Passport and visa delivered

2015/11/12 Passport stamped at CFO

And it was helpful in our case that her ninong worked at the municipal and pushed the papers thru. Even with that still took almost 3 weeks to get NSO marriage certificate. No one ever ask for CENOMAR.

Yeah always helps to have relatives, neighbors work where it will help you the most.

I could swear that at SJDM, Bulacan LCR that CENOMAR was required. I colud be mistaken because I was told to sit there (in the hall) while she was running here and there. They did need my PP and legal capacity letter for sure.

Funny for me at least to go into this cramped office of desks and files that could only hold 5 people with 10 people there and see a clerk manually retyped our marriage license 3 times on 8x14 paper in 4 copies. Could just barely see the 4th copy which will auto erase as soon as sunlight hits it. I can't believe how hot it was in that room with only a 9" fan to circulate the air. All part of the total experience that I really enjoyed but I'm probably in the minority.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

haha yeah I remember when we were in the lawyer's office getting all the paperwork done. Tiny little office and I'm a very big guy so they had me sit down to not be in everyone's way haha. Then they made fun of me for putting USA in the citizenship box instead of American. It was fun and it was nice to get it all processed by the lawyer, skip the seminar and have everything go quickly. Just cost a bit of money. I wish I could pay a bit more money and have the spousal visa process go faster. =)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.