Mmdpkaaa

DCF - Qatar or UK

13 posts in this topic

Hi looking for some advice regarding applying for permanent residency in the US.

Background info as follows:

-Married to a US citizen since 2013, I am a UK citizen by birth presently living with my spouse in Qatar since marriage.

- Been accepted to a medical residency program at a University in the US starting July 2016 - they will facilitate me receiving an F1 visa should I wish for it.

My questions are as follows:

1) Whether to apply for F1 initially then change once I am in the US to i130, or to directly apply for i130 +?K3. It is imperative I have either one of these in place by next July .

2) where to apply from - there is a U.S. Embassy in Qatar where I currently reside but will likely be leaving in the next few months ?can I just return for interview? Or apply from London or the U.S.

Any help much appreciated

I would go with the F1 since the university will help you get this. A IR1/CR1 would be another option, but there is a possibility you might not have it by July, 2016. Also, there are income and residency requirements associated with it.

Edited by Moustafa/Crystal

What are the income and residency requirements? I can't see either being a problem as I have been working as a doctor for the last 10 years, the last 3 in Qatar. Also any ideas what the processing times are in Qatar?

Hi looking for some advice regarding applying for permanent residency in the US.

Background info as follows:

-Married to a US citizen since 2013, I am a UK citizen by birth presently living with my spouse in Qatar since marriage.

- Been accepted to a medical residency program at a University in the US starting July 2016 - they will facilitate me receiving an F1 visa should I wish for it.

My questions are as follows:

1) Whether to apply for F1 initially then change once I am in the US to i130, or to directly apply for i130 +?K3. It is imperative I have either one of these in place by next July .

2) where to apply from - there is a U.S. Embassy in Qatar where I currently reside but will likely be leaving in the next few months ?can I just return for interview? Or apply from London or the U.S.

Any help much appreciated

The key to DCF is having a USCIS office to accept the I-130 petition. That is different from having an embassy which is Dept of State. Qatar does not have a USCIS post, but London does as long as your wife legally resides in the UK. See the I-130 petition instructions here http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

So for applying in London--

1) Petition filed at USCIS London. Takes 4-5 weeks for approval. Fast.

2) Skip NVC steps, which is a big time saver as well.

3) Approved petition sent over the Immigrant Visa Unit under Dept of State. (same building, but different agencies.)

4) Complete visa application DS-260, medical exam, Readiness for Interview form, wait for interview to be assigned. This part can be accomplished in 2.5 to 3 months.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks for the reply. My wife resides with me in Qatar and does not have a visa for the UK - she has only visited the UK once since we got married and that was on a tourist visa. I could get her the the UK visa but it seems a little long winded to do that and then to apply for myself for the i130. Tricky situation and not sure what the best option is. What are the wait times if I apply for i130 from Qatar?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A year or so is the normal processing time.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks for the reply. My wife resides with me in Qatar and does not have a visa for the UK - she has only visited the UK once since we got married and that was on a tourist visa. I could get her the the UK visa but it seems a little long winded to do that and then to apply for myself for the i130. Tricky situation and not sure what the best option is. What are the wait times if I apply for i130 from Qatar?

She files the petition I-130. It can be mailed from Qatar to Chicago. It can say the embassy of choice for the visa interview is London.

Times change constantly. Your most calculated best guess won't be right.

I-130 approval - maybe 5-6 months

NVC processing -maybe 5-6 months

Time in London 6-7 weeks

It could take over a year as has been said. It could take just under a year. You don't have any wiggle room if it slows down further.

Better go with the student visa if your #1 objective is to study in July 2016. Then worry about permanent residency later.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

You are applying for a non immigrant visa so just focus on how this will benefit your career etc on your departure.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

This sounds sensible. Will it raise a red flag when I apply for an F1 visa being married to a U.S. Citizen

And if so how would I overcome this?

You've been a doctor for 10 years and have a university or hospital sponsoring your application to a bonafide medical training position. Seems like a very valid reason to approve you. Don't approach it like your objective is moving to the U.S. and a green card.

You are hardly the 19 year old kid who wants a tourist visa, yet has no career, job, or a quid to his name.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Yes I think I'm over analyzing the situation. I will likely return back to the UK when I'm done. If I did decide to change my mind later and stay would this be a problem?

Timeline

Not in itself.

Yes I think I'm over analyzing the situation. I will likely return back to the UK when I'm done. If I did decide to change my mind later and stay would this be a problem?

Now you're on the right track.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.