Jump to content

change of passport, US address & visa application

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello Friends,

My visa is under process as I need to submit an additional documents.

I just have several concerns before my visa release.

1/ My passport was already at local embassy but I wanted to renew it coz its validity

will end next year. Passport have not been renewed at the time we submitted the

application as we thought that I will get my visa in less than 1 yr and my passort

will still valid in 3 yrs then. However, my visa application have not been released yet due to

some reasons and its now running 2 yrs. Can I withdraw back my passport from the local

embassy and renewed it before my visa released? The name indicated on my passport is

still my maiden name and I'm planning to change it with my married name.

2/ My husband's residence was change. how are we going to process or file the change of address

from our application. I am worried that my green card will be sent to the older address once i

get to America.

3/ My visa application was filed when our marriage is less than 2 yrs and from what I heard, the application

is CR1 visa but if more than 2 yrs should be IR1 visa. Will my appluication be automatically change to IR1 visa

instead of cr1 visa. It will be a big advantage if I will be granted a IR1 visa since the green card's validity will

be 2 yrs. Should we need to apply to chnage the visa application?

Please help advise.

Thanks a lot.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1) yes. Request it back from USEM

2) he needs to submit an I-865, you can submit an AR-11 after your arrive, and also you can change your address at the POE.

3) notify the CBP officer when you enter. Have your marriage certificate on hand so you can provide proof. Should the CR1 still come then you can file an I-90 and get the card fixed.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Passports now takes longer to renew. Your passpprt should be atleast 6 mos valid, that is the qmin requirement. you should kot worry on that if validity is more that 6 mos. upon release you can extend and renew your passport and use your married name. When travelling just attach your old passport for reference of maiden name and ofcourse your visa is on the old Passport.


(California Service Center, Chula Vista, San Diego, CA)

Filed: Aug 29

Receipt Date: Sept 2

NOA 1 Date: Sept 12 (received text/email)

NOA 1 copy rcvd: Sept 16

Biometrics Notice Date: Sept 17, received Sept 24

Biometrics Sched: Oct 5

Successful walk-in: Sept 26

Oct 13- Case ready to be scheduled for interview

EAD/AP approved - Nov. 1/2 / Received EAD/ AP Combo Card- Nov. 15

50days from NOA1/ 64 days from receipt date.

January 30-  USCIS Ap update, Interview sched on March 3, 2017

Jan 31 - received USCIS letter/ Notice for interview 

March 3- Interview, approved on the Spot

March 8 - received GC

Dec 2018 - To file ROC


My Blogs:

I-129F Petition Process

Medical Requirements

Medical Exam Experience

US Embassy Manila K1/K2 Interview Preparation Requirements and Instructions

Interview (K1 with 2 K2s)

CFO Guidance and Counseling (applicable to applicant from Philippines only)

My K1 Visa Journey

8 August 2015 - Sent I-129F Packet thru USPS

17 August 2015 - I -797C Notice date

20 August 2015 - Received printed copy of NOA1 dated Aug 17.

2 September 2015 - APPROVED! (14 working days from receipt date)

Dec. 21-22 - Medical DONE!

Jan 11, 2016 - Interview- APPROVED!

Jan 15 - Visa ISSUED!

Jan 21 - VISA ON HAND! (8 working days from interview)

March 21 - CFO / PDOS for K2s

June 1, 2016 - POE

July 18, 2016 - Married

I am his and he is mine from this day until the end of my days..

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

But should an already married person choose to change their passport they should if they want the visa and thus green card in married name. It's a bit different from a K1 in that aspect as visa comes in passport name and green card in visa name for IR1/CR1. You cannot change this without $450 in the USA or changing your passport before visa.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.