YouAndMeK1

NOAII received! A few questions about what is to come next! (Mainly about affadavit)

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! My fiancée and I recently received her NOAII. So now we are waiting to receive what I believe is "packet 3" or some sort of a notification from the NVC..?

Her interview will be at the U.S embassy in Sweden, and I have a few quick questions I hope someone can answer.

As far as the affidavit of support, it seems to be consulate specific on what is required. I am a student with a part time job - my income is a little too low to meet the standards as of right now. However, my father will gladly cosponsor us, as for he is way over the poverty line. With all that being said, do we each submit a I-134? And what type of documentation should my father (and possibly myself) submit along with the I-134? I hear so many mixed answers: W2, tax returns, tax transcripts, employer letters, bank statements etc.. I'd like to know what is really needed as most of my research seems contradictory.

And after reading the reviews on the Sweden embassy, why did some people say they used a I-864? I see quite a few people on here confused about which form to use as well.

Finally, what exactly is a DS-160 and when/how should this be completed?

Thanks for all your help so far, and I help someone can help clear up our confusion. My main concern is in regards of how to do the affidavit of support correctly with a cosponsor :)

EDIT: and should a cosponsor full out the form the exact way a normal sponsor would?

Edited by YouAndMeK1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The I-134 is used for K-1 visas. The I-864 is used for immigrant visas(such as spousal/CR-1), and for AOS after you are in the US and married. When reading reviews, make sure the review is about a K-1 visa interview and not a different type of visa.

You will need an I-134 and your co-sponsor will need one as well. You will both provide a copy of your most recent tax return with all forms, schedules, W-2s and/or 1099s, OR an IRS tax return transcript, along with proof of current income typically via a letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs. If not using assets, then no need for a bank letter or bank statements.

The co-sponsor(any sponsor) fills out the I-134 exactly as it is and answers the questions exactly as they are stated, so not sure what you mean by 'the exact way a normal sponsor would'.

The DS-160 is the K-1 visa application form. See the instructions from your consulate > http://sweden.usembassy.gov/consulate/iv3.html

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Yes, both you and your father should fill out the affidavit of support (k1 version). Next up is for you to wait approx 2 weeks and then start calling NVC for your case number. With this case number you can schedule your medical (in gothenburg and stockholm) if your fiancee is from Sweden and also schedule your interview.

Trust me the boring part is over :)

Edit: please update your timeline so the stats on this page becomes more accurate :-)

Hey everyone! My fiancée and I recently received her NOAII. So now we are waiting to receive what I believe is "packet 3" or some sort of a notification from the NVC..?

Her interview will be at the U.S embassy in Sweden, and I have a few quick questions I hope someone can answer.

As far as the affidavit of support, it seems to be consulate specific on what is required. I am a student with a part time job - my income is a little too low to meet the standards as of right now. However, my father will gladly cosponsor us, as for he is way over the poverty line. With all that being said, do we each submit a I-134? And what type of documentation should my father (and possibly myself) submit along with the I-134? I hear so many mixed answers: W2, tax returns, tax transcripts, employer letters, bank statements etc.. I'd like to know what is really needed as most of my research seems contradictory.

And after reading the reviews on the Sweden embassy, why did some people say they used a I-864? I see quite a few people on here confused about which form to use as well.

Finally, what exactly is a DS-160 and when/how should this be completed?

Thanks for all your help so far, and I help someone can help clear up our confusion. My main concern is in regards of how to do the affidavit of support correctly with a cosponsor :)

EDIT: and should a cosponsor full out the form the exact way a normal sponsor would?

Edited by CplusC86

Thanks for clearing that up a bit! I appreciate the help a lot. So, me and my father should both complete the affadavit and provide the supporting documents with it. This might be a dumb question, but do we just being these papers with us or must we file them somewhere?

And the DS-160 is basically an electronic application used to apply for the visa if I understand you correctly! Thanks. For the help.

One last question. What exactly is packet 3 and packet 4? When I search these I find both people sending and recieving these items .. As of this point - should me and my fiancée simply be awaiting this "packet 3" ?

Yes, both you and your father should fill out the affidavit of support (k1 version). Next up is for you to wait approx 2 weeks and then start calling NVC for your case number. With this case number you can schedule your medical (in gothenburg and stockholm) if your fiancee is from Sweden and also schedule your interview.

Trust me the boring part is over :)

Oh good! I'm glad things should get moving soon! So next up, we should prepare our documents and then call the NVC to find our case number whenever it is ready from what you suggest! :) and my Fiancée is actually Danish, therefore her interview will be in Stockholm. And it's nice to hear from another Scandanavian K1! :D

Timeline

Aha okey :) well then her medical will be in Copenhagen and Interview in stockholm. Yeah it's always nice to see fellow scandinavians. We just went through this (got approved last thursday) so I know where u are at :)

Aha okey :) well then her medical will be in Copenhagen and Interview in stockholm. Yeah it's always nice to see fellow scandinavians. We just went through this (got approved last thursday) so I know where u are at :)

Oh that's awesome! Congratulations :) if you don't mind me asking, how did your interview go? I've only

Heard good things about the Swedish embassy so far!

Timeline

Thanks! The interview went fine, it wasnt hard at all. I mean I was nervous that's for sure but there isnt any reason to be. The staff in there is super friendly :)

Btw I PMed you.

Oh that's awesome! Congratulations :) if you don't mind me asking, how did your interview go? I've only

Heard good things about the Swedish embassy so far!

One last question. What exactly is packet 3 and packet 4? When I search these I find both people sending and recieving these items .. As of this point - should me and my fiancée simply be awaiting this "packet 3" ?

Once NVC has sent your petition to the US embassy and they have received it, they will email the US fiancé a checklist with documents needed. Your fiancée will sign up on ustraveldocs.com to schedule her interview and pay the visa fee. :)

K-1 Journey: 309 days from received to POE (TSC)

[september 11, 2014] - I-129F received by USCIS

[september 15, 2014] - NOA1
[May 27, 2015] - NOA2
[July 9, 2015] - I N T E R V I E W! (APPROVED!)
[July 13, 2015] - Issued
[July 14, 2015] - Visa in hand
[July 16, 2015] - POE JFK

AOS Journey: 169 days from received to GC in hand (NSC)

Spoiler

[July 17, 2015] - Successfully applied for SSN

[July 18, 2015] - Sent out AOS package

[July 21, 2015] - Received

[July 24, 2015] - NOA1 (3x)

[August 18, 2015] - Biometrics

[september 19, 2015] - EAD/AP approval (63 days)

[september 24, 2015] - EAD/AP Received

[January 6, 2016] - Green Card approved without interview(166 days)

[January 12, 2016] - Received Green Card

ROC journey starts: October 2017

ROC Journey: 419 days (VSC)

[October 30, 2017] - Sent package

[November 3, 2017] - NOA1

[November 18, 2017] - Biometrics letter received

[December 5, 2017] - Biometrics

[December 18, 2018] - Card is being produced (no interview)

[December 22, 2018] - Received Green Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.