karlanadriana

first-cousin same sex marriage, k1 visa, any advice would help

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello world! I hope everyone is having a restful Sunday. As for myself, though I am not resting, I do feel super excited about starting this journey with my girlfriend and along with you guys :)
I'd like to explain my situation a bit and see if you guys can give me any advice.

My situations red flags:
my
girlfriend is also my first-cousin, we are both female, she has a son. We plan to move to Arizona where her father and both my parents live.

We had never met up until two years ago when she moved from Michoacán to Baja California and my family and I came to meet her. As I got to know her more, I got to like her more and more. I moved in with her a couple of months after and are now engaged.

Our relationship, though different is very serious and Real just like everyone else's relationship. However, I am afraid that the interviewer will question our relationship because of those red flags. That they might say -Well, if you like girls so much how is it that you had a child? and that they might think I'm just doing this as a favor but I am really not, I am in love with her. (L)(L)

I suppose it will be important to mention and proof that the father passed away. The child does carry his last name.

Since we've been living together for two years I have lots of evidence to show we have met face to face: We have bills under my name and bills under her name that show the same address. Our ID's have the same address. I am her beneficiary on her insurance. The lease contract is under both our names. Plus we have tons of facebook messages and pictures. We can get our friends to write letters saying they attest our relationship too.

We plan to marry in Arizona where first-cousins are allowed to marry as long as one is unable to reproduce or both over 65. Also, same sex marriage is now valid in all 50 states. Having cleared those two things I hope they'll believe we really want and Can do this!!

So with these red flags along with our evidence how do you think will do???
Do you think it's necessary to hire a lawyer?

Thank you so much for allowing me this space to ask for advice. Have a great day!! :goofy::goofy: :goofy: :goofy::goofy:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

If the petitioner's state allows first cousin marriage, then you have every right to apply for a K-1 visa. Make sure to mention this fact all the way through the process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

So it would be enough if I just provide a printed page from a website indicating it's legal for us to marry in AZ?

and then she can just add that in the interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Having lots of evidence that the relationship is real is what will help you at the interview stage. I would 'frontload' the I-129F petition with relationship evidence, as well as the proof of meeting in person within the last 2 years. And yes, also include a copy of the law stating that first cousin marriage is legal in AZ.

No one can really tell you what the CO will think or do at the K-1/K-2 interview. They will have sole discretion over whether or not to approve your case. All you can do is provide as much evidence as you can to show the relationship is real and valid and not just for immigration purposes.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just provide plenty of the types you already listed. Since you live together, your evidence of that is good. I cannot really think of any others. For proof of meeting, if either of you got stamps in your passports, or have boarding passes, receipts, credit card/bank statements, etc. those can be very useful. Photos together as a couple with friends and family can help as secondary evidence.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.