35 posts in this topic

Hi! I want to tell the story between me and fiance first so y'all would understand the situation we're in and I hope any one could help us.

Me (21y) and my fiance (20y) met last year, back when I was in the USA for my internship. It was a good whole year experience for me. I came and started working at a hotel and after a few months, he got a job at the same hotel and the friendship happened and developed in a budding romance. We knew from that point that we really want to spend the rest of our lives together. We decided to move-in together (for 6months; We stayed at his Mom's apartment which was also part of their house so we didn't have to pay for it.) 'til it's time for me to leave back to my home country (Philippines). A month before I leave, he proposed and of course i said yes. We wanted to get married before I leave but there isn't much time to do all the paperwork and the preparation for the wedding itself.

I came back home and we are still going and pushing through our relationship. (Surviving the long-distance relationship like pros. :thumbs:(L) ) It was too hard for us to be apart from each other and so we decided to file a Fiance Visa by ourselves. We couldn't afford to hire a lawyer and We hope everything comes down to a success.

We submitted the Form I-129F to Texas Lockbox and they received it by 12Jun2015, we got the Receipt Notice by 24Jul2015 in the mailbox; case was approved on 16Jul2015 and we're still waiting for the Approval Notice in the mailbox 'til now.

On October2015 'til March2016, he's gonna be staying here in the Philippines with me. I thought it would be great if he meet my family too. He wants to stay and wait for me so we can go back to the US together and I hope before March2016, my visa will get approved.

I am just worried with one thing. :help:

The Form I-134 Affidavit of Support form

I heard that here in the Philippines, they do not accept Joint Sponsor. The problem is he doesn't have the other requirements for it and we're not sure if he, himself pass the Minimum Income Requirement. He has a job and he receives more or less $2000 per month. He haven't had his 1st year at work 'coz he's leaving on October and coming back by March next year. Also he doesn't have a bank account so he decided to just save his money for his trip here in the Philippines but he puts his money in my US bank account since I still have some money there too. My personal bank account is basically ours now. (I tried to ask the bank to put his name on it or to make it a joint bank account but they wouldn't let me unless i personally ask and go to the branch of the bank. Unfortunately, there isn't a US bank branch where I live. So yeah, we're struggling about the Affidavit Support document to submit.

His family, are willing to support us until we can go and live by ourselves but they don't have the complete requirements for the Affidavit of Support for the Joint Sponsorship. (Still pushing the Joint Sponsorship even the Manila US Embassy might not accept it. So,just in case.) His dad will help us financially and his mom is willing to let us stay at her apartment as long as we need to. Also, I want to work there in the US too once we get married and fix all the papers we need to fix. I don't want him to handle all the expenses for both of us. I want to help him too.

Can anyone suggest what to do or is there anything else we can do to get approved? We're really scared we might get denied for this. :cry:

We really need anyone's opinion and suggestion in this. Please please. Thank you so much! :D

N400

Spoiler

Dec 15, 2019 filed N400 online

[Day 0] : Dec 15, 2019 - Received Date

[Day 7] : Dec 21, 2019 - Biometrics scheduled for Jan 7th 2020

[Day 13] Dec 27, 2019 - Early walk in for biometrics

[Day 13] Dec 27, 2019 - Biometrics reviewed

[Day 13] Dec 27, 2019 - Case being actively reviewed

[Day 299] Oct 8, 2020 - Email notification "Interview was scheduled"

[Day 300] Oct 9, 2020 - Interview notice on documents tab. (Nov 12, 2020)

[Day 304] : Oct 13, 2020 - Interview notice came in the mail

[Day 334] : Nov 12, 2020 - Scheduled interview date; Showed up at the office and was told the interview schedule was a 'mistake'

[Day 334] : Nov 12, 2020 - USCIS status: Interview Cancelled

[Day 341] Nov 19, 2020 - Email notification "Interview was scheduled"

[Day 343] Nov 21, 2020 - Interview notice came in the mail

[Day 353] : Dec 1, 2020 - Interview dare, Oath ceremony

[Day 353] : Dec 1, 2020 - FINALLY A US CITIZEN!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I want to tell the story between me and fiance first so y'all would understand the situation we're in and I hope any one could help us.

Me (21y) and my fiance (20y) met last year, back when I was in the USA for my internship. It was a good whole year experience for me. I came and started working at a hotel and after a few months, he got a job at the same hotel and the friendship happened and developed in a budding romance. We knew from that point that we really want to spend the rest of our lives together. We decided to move-in together (for 6months; We stayed at his Mom's apartment which was also part of their house so we didn't have to pay for it.) 'til it's time for me to leave back to my home country (Philippines). A month before I leave, he proposed and of course i said yes. We wanted to get married before I leave but there isn't much time to do all the paperwork and the preparation for the wedding itself.

I came back home and we are still going and pushing through our relationship. (Surviving the long-distance relationship like pros. :thumbs:(L) ) It was too hard for us to be apart from each other and so we decided to file a Fiance Visa by ourselves. We couldn't afford to hire a lawyer and We hope everything comes down to a success.

We submitted the Form I-129F to Texas Lockbox and they received it by 12Jun2015, we got the Receipt Notice by 24Jul2015 in the mailbox; case was approved on 16Jul2015 and we're still waiting for the Approval Notice in the mailbox 'til now.

On October2015 'til March2016, he's gonna be staying here in the Philippines with me. I thought it would be great if he meet my family too. He wants to stay and wait for me so we can go back to the US together and I hope before March2016, my visa will get approved.

I heard that here in the Philippines, they do not accept Joint Sponsor. The problem is he doesn't have the other requirements for it and we're not sure if he, himself pass the Minimum Income Requirement. He has a job and he receives more or less $2000 per month. He haven't had his 1st year at work 'coz he's leaving on October and coming back by March next year. Also he doesn't have a bank account so he decided to just save his money for his trip here in the Philippines but he puts his money in my US bank account since I still have some money there too. My personal bank account is basically ours now. (I tried to ask the bank to put his name on it or to make it a joint bank account but they wouldn't let me unless i personally ask and go to the branch of the bank. Unfortunately, there isn't a US bank branch where I live. So yeah, we're struggling about the Affidavit Support document to submit.

His family, are willing to support us until we can go and live by ourselves but they don't have the complete requirements for the Affidavit of Support for the Joint Sponsorship. (Still pushing the Joint Sponsorship even the Manila US Embassy might not accept it. So,just in case.) His dad will help us financially and his mom is willing to let us stay at her apartment as long as we need to. Also, I want to work there in the US too once we get married and fix all the papers we need to fix. I don't want him to handle all the expenses for both of us. I want to help him too.

Can anyone suggest what to do or is there anything else we can do to get approved? We're really scared we might get denied for this. :cry:

We really need anyone's opinion and suggestion in this. Please please. Thank you so much! :D

You are right. Co-sponsors is almost like a myth when it comes to the USEM. There are people who were blessed to be approved with a co-sponsor but that's a 50-50 percent chance. Only the consuls can tell.

Can you tell how much exactly he earns per month? I am not updated with the poverty guidelines for this year. The last time I know was around $16,000 per year for two people who will live in which ever state except Hawaii and Alaska(different poverty guidelines). So if he's making 2000/per month x 12 that should be 24,000 per year so that it actually more than enough.

He would need to show his ITR's, W2's, pay stubs and I think a certificate of employment with the stated monthly salary would be helpful

Co-sponsor is much helpful in spousal visa. They accept it 100%.

If we looked at the worst case scenario(hopefully not), you can go that route.

Co-sponsor is also helpful for AOS.

Edited by CaliforniaBae

You are right. Co-sponsors is almost like a myth when it comes to the USEM. There are people who were blessed to be approved with a co-sponsor but that's a 50-50 percent chance. Only the consuls can tell.

Can you tell how much exactly he earns per month? I am not updated with the poverty guidelines for this year. The last time I know was around $19,000 per year for two people. So if he's making 2000/per month x 12 that should be 24,000 per year so that it actually more than enough.

Co-sponsor is much helpful in spousal visa. They accept it 100%.

If we looked at the worst case scenario(hopefully not), you can go that route.

Co-sponsor is also helpful for AOS.

Hi thank you so much for your response. He gets paid depending on how many hours he work. more or less $2000 per month. If in case he pass the Minimum Income Requirement, Is it alright if he doesn't have a bank statement to present? or we could just present my bank account since he was the one putting money in it? (but his name isn't in that bank account.) Can we also declare that I too ,have some money saved, my own Philippine bank accounts?

I hope it wouldn't be a problem. He's coming here in the Philippines on October and he took a vacation from his job - the company also guaranteed that he can go back to work as he please.

We already started processing our K1 petition and if ever we get denied (which I hope won't happen) from the I-134, we should just get married here in the Philippines and file for another petition which is for Spousal Visa. That's what you're saying, right? wouldn't that be a longer process?

Thank you so much!

N400

Spoiler

[Day 334] : Nov 12, 2020 - Scheduled interview date; Showed up at the office and was told the interview schedule was a 'mistake'

Another question.

Since my fiance is coming and staying 'til March next year here in the Philippines with me, is it possible to take him with me during my interview at the embassy?

Thank you!

N400

Spoiler

Timeline

Hi thank you so much for your response. He gets paid depending on how many hours he work. more or less $2000 per month. If in case he pass the Minimum Income Requirement, Is it alright if he doesn't have a bank statement to present? or we could just present my bank account since he was the one putting money in it? (but his name isn't in that bank account.) Can we also declare that I too ,have some money saved, my own Philippine bank accounts?

I hope it wouldn't be a problem. He's coming here in the Philippines on October and he took a vacation from his job - the company also guaranteed that he can go back to work as he please.

We already started processing our K1 petition and if ever we get denied (which I hope won't happen) from the I-134, we should just get married here in the Philippines and file for another petition which is for Spousal Visa. That's what you're saying, right? wouldn't that be a longer process?

Thank you so much!

To me, it looks like his current income meet the requirements.

I'm not an expert on i-134 so let's see what others think.

I'll give you a guide, it's from @Greenbaum's link http://dennyeyberg.wix.com/filipino-am-visa#!income--co-sponsor/c1sbi this has been helpful to us.

Another question.

Since my fiance is coming and staying 'til March next year here in the Philippines with me, is it possible to take him with me during my interview at the embassy?

Thank you!

Yes, he can come to the interview with you.

Edited by CaliforniaBae

Timeline

How can he prove he lives in the states when he'll be living in the PI more or less. They will want to see pay stubs, employment letters, and bank statements if his most recent tax return isn't enough. Luckily though they haven't even asked for 134s for the past few months...but they always could. Not sure it's a good idea to show them you're bank statements with his money in there especially since it's a PI bank acct and his name isn't even on it. It may look like he's paying you.......

Another question.

Thank you!

First of all, you said your fiancé makes, more or less, $2000 a month. That is more than enough for the affidavit of support for a household size of 2, which is you and your fiancé. You need to make just under $20,000 per year gross, and at 2000 per month you are about 4000 over. No you do not need to show bank statements. The only requirement is you must show the most recent tax return. If the income shown on his tax return is shown greater than 20k, you are just fine. If not, then just have a few pay stubs and an employer letter to prove the current income is enough.

Yes your fiancé can definitely go to the interview with you! In fact I would highly recommend it because it's a experience. I was at the interview with my wife and it was really nice to see how everything worked.

If you click on my timeline and scroll all the way towards the bottom, you can read my embassy interview experience.

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

How can he prove he lives in the states when he'll be living in the PI more or less. They will want to see pay stubs, employment letters, and bank statements if his most recent tax return isn't enough. Luckily though they haven't even asked for 134s for the past few months...but they always could. Not sure it's a good idea to show them you're bank statements with his money in there especially since it's a PI bank acct and his name isn't even on it. It may look like he's paying you.......

He want to wait for me until I have my Visa approved so we can go back to the US together.

Are there anything else we might need in case they ask him for proof that he lives in the US? Can a letter from his parents would be acceptable?

So I guess we cannot show them my bank account unless he has his name on it.

Thank you so much!

N400

Spoiler

First of all, you said your fiancé makes, more or less, $2000 a month. That is more than enough for the affidavit of support for a household size of 2, which is you and your fiancé. You need to make just under $20,000 per year gross, and at 2000 per month you are about 4000 over. No you do not need to show bank statements. The only requirement is you must show the most recent tax return. If the income shown on his tax return is shown greater than 20k, you are just fine. If not, then just have a few pay stubs and an employer letter to prove the current income is enough.

Yes your fiancé can definitely go to the interview with you! In fact I would highly recommend it because it's a experience. I was at the interview with my wife and it was really nice to see how everything worked.

If you click on my timeline and scroll all the way towards the bottom, you can read my embassy interview experience.

I don't know how much gross was reflected in his previous tax return because he didn't reached a year in his previous job. Now he has a different job than what was in his previous tax return and he also wouldn't get to his first year in this job too 'coz he has his trip planned to go here. I might have to ask him about his previous tax return just in case and so we could be ready for other documents we might need.

It was nice to hear that from you. Congratulations that everything went well for y'all. I hope we get the same luck.

Btw, are there any other requirements to be able to bring my fiance to the embassy with me or i can just tag him along and walk in the embassy for my appointment?

N400

Spoiler

I don't know how much gross was reflected in his previous tax return because he didn't reached a year in his previous job. Now he has a different job than what was in his previous tax return and he also wouldn't get to his first year in this job too 'coz he has his trip planned to go here. I might have to ask him about his previous tax return just in case and so we could be ready for other documents we might need.

It was nice to hear that from you. Congratulations that everything went well for y'all. I hope we get the same luck.

Btw, are there any other requirements to be able to bring my fiance to the embassy with me or i can just tag him along and walk in the embassy for my appointment?

He only needs his US passport and he can go with you inside the embassy.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

He only needs his US passport and he can go with you inside the embassy.

Thank you so much! ☺️

N400

Spoiler

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi there! I saw you replied in my thread and we do kinda have the same situation :)

Actually I am not worried at all now because we talked to an immigration atty. his name is Nick Caraquel, he's Filipino as well but lives in the US for years now. He told us we have nothing to worry about as long as you have someone willing to be the co sponsor and they meet the requirements, you are good to go! Don't listen to the people saying it's a case to case basis! Just believe in yourself and hope for the best! God bless :) BTW atty. Nick offers to do all the filing for you and coach you on your interview for $2000, the filing fee is already included too. Consulations are free though, just join the group "US VISA (k1/cr1/Ir etc.) ask your immigration attorney" on fb

Timeline

Hi there! I saw you replied in my thread and we do kinda have the same situation :)

Actually I am not worried at all now because we talked to an immigration atty. his name is Nick Caraquel, he's Filipino as well but lives in the US for years now. He told us we have nothing to worry about as long as you have someone willing to be the co sponsor and they meet the requirements, you are good to go! Don't listen to the people saying it's a case to case basis! Just believe in yourself and hope for the best! God bless :) BTW atty. Nick offers to do all the filing for you and coach you on your interview for $2000, the filing fee is already included too. Consulations are free though, just join the group "US VISA (k1/cr1/Ir etc.) ask your immigration attorney" on fb

Wow.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Co-sponsors are approved on a case by case basis with the K-1 visa at USEM. It helps if your co-sponsor is a close relative (father, mother, brother, sister). If you income exceeds the 125% poverty guidelines of the I-864P you will have no issues. Required documents with the I-134 for the embassy is your most recent tax return and W-2. If you are a newer employee, a letter from the employer and pay stubs are good to have also. Bank statements are not needed.

Pop over to the Philippines forum for better answers relating to the process at USEM http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

You attorney is talking out of the party of his body that he should be using to sit in a chair. Co-sponsors are not "good to go" with the K-1 visa, it is strictly at the discretion of the CO during the interview. Obviously Nick doesn't do many K-1 visas at USEM

One plus as of late is that many applicants during the interview are not even asked for the I-134 and supporting documents as of late. You could get extremely lucky ;)

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Hello FutureMrsM., I just remembered that you mentioned that he is coming for the interview right? and he is staying for 6 months? I just want to let you know that, if your visa get's approved, it's only valid for 6 months. So don't forget to plan the date of your departure before your visa expires.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.