erica_itz

Please help! Need to travel

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone, I need help with something!

Starting November 1st I'll be eligible to apply for citizenship. The problem is that for serious personal family reasons I'll have to go home from mid december to mid february. I'm afraid that if I apply in november, I'll probably do FP in december and might have my interview scheduled for a date in february when I'm still in Brazil! (I've been doing research on Philadelphia timelines and it seems that they're usually scheduling the interview 1-2 months after FP. Also, coming back before mid feb won't be an option for me).
Now my question is: is it possible to send in the application a couple days before I go to Brazil in december and, when the FP letter arrives in january, have my husband reschedule it for a date after I come back to the US in mid february?
A couple things to consider:
1- I don't want to reschedule my citizenship interview, because I know it can be a hassle, so this is not an option for me
2- Ideally I don't want to wait until I come back in february to start the application, because for personal reasons I need to get citizenship as soon as I can.
Having said all that, a couple more questions:
1- If it's possible to do what I just asked, will I have any problems for being away for 2 months?
2- When should I tell them that I was away for 2 months after the application was sent? At the interview? What if they don't ask?
Another option would be to send my application a month before returning to the US, so I'd have my biometrics as soon as I came back (or something like that). Is it possible though to send the application while being abroad? What would I put on the question where I have to say what date I returned from my last trip (since I would still be away)?
I'm so sorry for such a long post and lots of questions, but I'm overwhelmed trying to figure out what to do!
Any inputs? Anyone went through a similar situation?
Any help will be appreciated!
PS. I don't need advise on the requirements regarding physical presence, residency etc, because I know for a fact I'll meet them! Thanks!

K1
17-may-2011: I-129F sent to Texas lockbox (regular mail, not certified)
23-may-2011: Texas office received package
26-may-2011: NOA1 by email/txt
27-may-2011: Touched
01-jun-2011: NOA1 arrived by mail (dated may 25th)
08-sep-2011: NOA2!!!
23-nov-2011: Interview - Approved!! =)

AOS
11-jun-2012: AOS sent to Chicago lockbox (priority mail)
13-jun-2012: Chicago office received package
18-jun-2012: NOA1 by email/txt
22-jun-2012: NOA1 arrived by mail (dated june 18th)
06-jul-2012: Biometrics letter arrived by mail (scheduled july 16th)
06-jul-2012: Email saying my case got transferred
16-jul-2012: Biometrics appointment
15-aug-2012: Email/txt EAD approved!
08-feb-2013: Email/txt Greencard approved!!
14-feb-2013: Greencard arrived in the mail

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Why complicate your life to try to shave 2 months? Why the rush to file in December? Why can't you wait two months and file in February? You can avoid all the potential drama of missing dates by waiting 2 months to file in February.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks for the responses!

I know all my problems would be solved if I waited until february to send my application, but that's exactly what I was trying to avoid, if at all possible. I know 2 months don't seem like much, but I have strong personal reasons to want to obtain my citizenship asap (reasons that are not worth mentioning).

But anyway, I appreciate the inputs! I'll figure out what to do when the time comes.

K1
17-may-2011: I-129F sent to Texas lockbox (regular mail, not certified)
23-may-2011: Texas office received package
26-may-2011: NOA1 by email/txt
27-may-2011: Touched
01-jun-2011: NOA1 arrived by mail (dated may 25th)
08-sep-2011: NOA2!!!
23-nov-2011: Interview - Approved!! =)

AOS
11-jun-2012: AOS sent to Chicago lockbox (priority mail)
13-jun-2012: Chicago office received package
18-jun-2012: NOA1 by email/txt
22-jun-2012: NOA1 arrived by mail (dated june 18th)
06-jul-2012: Biometrics letter arrived by mail (scheduled july 16th)
06-jul-2012: Email saying my case got transferred
16-jul-2012: Biometrics appointment
15-aug-2012: Email/txt EAD approved!
08-feb-2013: Email/txt Greencard approved!!
14-feb-2013: Greencard arrived in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.