gm2687

US embassy in Brazil just received our K1 we have a 2 week old... do I need to make any changes or notify someone about our son.

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone this is my first post so bear with me. Filed for a K1 visa for my fiance who lives in Brazil. We were just notified by the the US embassy in Rio that they received our case. I am currently in Brazil with her because she gave birth to our son 2 weeks ago. We already made an appointment at the us consolute in Sao Paulo to get a CRBA (consular report of birth abroad) as well as a passport and ss card. Now to my question. Do I need to make any changes to the K1 VISA or notify any one about the birth of our child, or will we be OK if he gets all his documents and my fiance presents them at the interview. We just don't want any delays once we have the interview in Rio.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

The embassy will only care about the application for the K1 visa. Since your son (assuming) is living with you, he won't need his own visa. Of course no reason to not say anything either.

The only issue I see you will have down the road is having to show that you have enough income to meet the requirement for your (then husband's) AOS application.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm following this thread because I am in the same situation and want to confirm my thought.

I'm thinking since your son will be USC it doesn't change or effect the K-1 Visa. Once your son has his passport and your fiancé has her Visa they will be ready to come to the US.

Congrats on your new baby!!

Timeline

I'm following this thread because I am in the same situation and want to confirm my thought.

I'm thinking since your son will be USC it doesn't change or effect the K-1 Visa. Once your son has his passport and your fiancé has her Visa they will be ready to come to the US.

Congrats on your new baby!!

Her son will only need a passport if he is not currently in the US.

All visas are to allow you to enter a country when you are not a citizen of that country.

As long as their son does not need to travel, they dont have to worry about it.

Timeline

Her son will only need a passport if he is not currently in the US.

All visas are to allow you to enter a country when you are not a citizen of that country.

As long as their son does not need to travel, they dont have to worry about it.

The OP is male (i'm assuming) and he is Brazil where they had their baby. That's why they are filing the CRBA and getting his passport. He will need a passport to enter the US from Brazil.

Timeline

The OP is male (i'm assuming) and he is Brazil where they had their baby. That's why they are filing the CRBA and getting his passport. He will need a passport to enter the US from Brazil.

Last line of OP's message said "he" in reference to the fiance so I assumed *she* had just given birth stateside. Of course it is possible I may have completely missunderstood...

That's what I was thinking and hoping to hear, that since he will be a usc it won't effect the K1 visa.... @gabsusa he is not currently living with me, he lives with his mother/my fiance in Brazil. I am just here visiting but will fly backk to the US. Once the visa is approved they will both live with me state side... @ch3john, Thand you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Last line of OP's message said "he" in reference to the fiance so I assumed *she* had just given birth stateside. Of course it is possible I may have completely missunderstood...

The "he" is the baby.

Timeline

@gabsusa he is not currently living with me, he lives with his mother/my fiance in Brazil. I am just here visiting but will fly backk to the US. Once the visa is approved they will both live with me state side...

Ah! I apologize for the confusion on my part.

I can't say with any degree of certainty what you must do, but somewhere along the lines you'll need to notify someone.

You'll want to make sure at the very least your fiancé has the baby's paperwork (birth certificate, etc.) on hand for when they arrive at customs.

I don't believe you'll need a passport, but it may require some kind of footnote on the visa.

Good luck! And congrats on the baby!

Timeline

Ah! I apologize for the confusion on my part.

I can't say with any degree of certainty what you must do, but somewhere along the lines you'll need to notify someone.

You'll want to make sure at the very least your fiancé has the baby's paperwork (birth certificate, etc.) on hand for when they arrive at customs.

I don't believe you'll need a passport, but it may require some kind of footnote on the visa.

Good luck! And congrats on the baby!

The baby is a US Citizen and will need a US Passport to enter the US. Visa's only apply to non-US Citizens.

OP as Shauneg has said, you are doing to the right things by doing the CRBA and Passport and that's all you need to do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.