canadafiance

Birth Certificate and Translation Requirements

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. My birth certificate is from pakistan and is in Urdu. I have my original BC and a photocopy of it. I also have a photocopy of the translation of it from my Canadian govt (when I asked for my proof of citizenship, they sent me a copy of my translation).

My question is, is this enough? Do I need an original certified and notarized translation of my BC and a photocopy of that translation with my original BC and photocopy of my BC? I don't know if I need to spend the extra 200+ including waiting time, for a notarized translation of my birth certificate if the photocopy of a translation will suffice. I tried calling the consulate but I only ever got recordings or no answers.

The photocopy of the translation has signatures and names of the translator and where it was translated and aa picture of a sticker or stamp or something. But again this is just a photocopy. Will this do?

thanks in advance

It's a bit out off topic, but in UK USA embassy they want to see original document and translation from certified translator (not notarized) Maybe it's the same in Canada? Best way to find out it's to contact the embassy

Timeline

It's a bit out off topic, but in UK USA embassy they want to see original document and translation from certified translator (not notarized) Maybe it's the same in Canada? Best way to find out it's to contact the embassy

I just contacted the embassy and they told me to e-mail them, so I did, and all they said was only a consular officer can tell me if its acceptable on the DAY of my interview. I don't even know who to talk to at this point to figure out if I need a new certified translation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Translation requirements vary embassy to embassy. Many US embassies in the EU require an "official" translation, while my then-fiancee in Indonesia could do the translation herself. Have you received packet 3 yet? That's the embassy/consulate-specific instructions that should make it clear what the BC requirements are.

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline

Translation requirements vary embassy to embassy. Many US embassies in the EU require an "official" translation, while my then-fiancee in Indonesia could do the translation herself. Have you received packet 3 yet? That's the embassy/consulate-specific instructions that should make it clear what the BC requirements are.

I did contact the montreal embassy. All they said was that the consular officer is the only who can tell me if my documents are good enough and will tell me later if they need more documents. I have an official translation, it is certified and has signatures on it and everything. only thing is, ITS A PHOTOCOPY. The original translation document is with my govt. I havent received packet 3 but i found it online and all it says is they need my BC, a photocopy of the BC and an english translation. I just dont want to pay over 200 and wait over a month for a new translation if I dont need one you know? I know it doesnt need to be notarized.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.