Dogwood_Poet

Retiring to Philippines - Medical Requirements?

7 posts in this topic

I know this may not be the place to ask, but I am looking at the retirement visa requirements for US citizen retiring to Philippines.

I plan on having a place to live already paid for before I go, so I should be able to live well on my retirement income. My question is: Is managed type II diabetes considered on the income requirements? It shows two levels of monthly income depending on being healthy/active or having medical problems.

I am keeping my sugar levels under control with medication and diet/exercise.

I am just now beginning to look at moving, but I will probably not be doing anything for a couple of years while I get savings built up and my place in the Philippines completed and paid for so I will not have any housing expense once I get there.

Thanks everyone for their help!

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

I know this may not be the place to ask, but I am looking at the retirement visa requirements for US citizen retiring to Philippines.

I plan on having a place to live already paid for before I go, so I should be able to live well on my retirement income. My question is: Is managed type II diabetes considered on the income requirements? It shows two levels of monthly income depending on being healthy/active or having medical problems.

I am just now beginning to look at moving, but I will probably not be doing anything for a couple of years while I get savings built up and my place in the Philippines completed and paid for so I will not have any housing expense once I get there.

You will need a visa and you have several choices.

1. You may return as a visitor as you have in the past. That would require you to continuously extend your visa up to 3 years.

2. If you are accompanying her through Immigration as you enter the Philippines, you may take advantage of her Balikbayan privileges and obtain a one year visa at the gate.

3. If you intend to remain in the Philippines indefinitely, you may apply for a 13a immigrant visa before you travel (from the Philippine Embassy or Consulate that services your location). You may apply for this visa after you arrive using one of the other visas, but it has been reported that applying for a 13a is simpler from abroad.

Here are some links to begin digesting your options. I hope they will help in answering your questions.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwiTnNePwurGAhXCzoAKHf5nBkQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.philippineconsulatela.org%2FWEB%2520MATERIALS%2FVisa%252013A%2613G-Checklist.pdf&ei=xFWtVZOqH8KdgwT-z5mgBA&usg=AFQjCNHGQMZ4lc3EE_7nTKwQjzmcVaYyCg&sig2=_K4_8iBkfXYMhV9-3pNU-w&bvm=bv.98197061,d.eXY

http://www.philippinesplus.com/2013/06/24/new-requirements-for-philippine-13a-permanent-visa/

http://immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/permanent-resident-visa

http://www.philippineconsulate.com.au/visa/non-quota-immigrant-visa.html

http://liveinthephilippines.com/content/my-13a-visa-experience/

Remember you cannot own land or the house you place on the land as it will have to be in your wife's name. You can own a Condo separately or together but not land/house.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

The property I am planning to build on is in my in-laws family and we will sign a lifetime lease for the rest of my life, then they can keep the house. I have no children or other family to leave it to.

But I am looking at the SRRV retirement visa for myself, for reasons I prefer to keep to myself for now.

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

The property I am planning to build on is in my in-laws family and we will sign a lifetime lease for the rest of my life, then they can keep the house. I have no children or other family to leave it to.

But I am looking at the SRRV retirement visa for myself, for reasons I prefer to keep to myself for now.

It seems you have your answer. Not sure how much more I can help. But there is a lot information on the government websites.... just google.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

How about .... depends. :lol:

You can retire to the Philippines, enter with the Balikbayan stamp which is good for a year, then once a year (day before the year ends) take a weekend trip to Hong Kong or such, enter the Philippines again and get the Balikbayan stamp again and you are good for another year. This is a lot simpler than the crazy requirements to get the retirement visa.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

How about .... depends. :lol:

You can retire to the Philippines, enter with the Balikbayan stamp which is good for a year, then once a year (day before the year ends) take a weekend trip to Hong Kong or such, enter the Philippines again and get the Balikbayan stamp again and you are good for another year. This is a lot simpler than the crazy requirements to get the retirement visa.

Agreed

This is what a lot of expats do when they live in Philippines......

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.