Ban Hammer

Active shooter incident reported at Chattanooga naval reserve center

138 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I'm sure there are many out there - and I even met some - who would proudly fly the Nazi flag to honor their heritage. After all, at the time, Germany was the center of culture in Europe; Berlin was - as it is now - the epicenter or culture, arts, finance and politics in Europe. Germany was a bit down on its luck, but we all know because of 'whom'.. Tons to be proud of the Reich and the 30s in Germany. According to neo Nazis, if only the arrogant British, Russians, French and Americans hadn't objected to strongly, Europe would be a much different place today...

Yes, my friend, you can continue to shake your head... The bliss here is unrelenting!

#SMH

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a northern (historically as well, ie family fought for the Union), and I completely agree with you GanD. He is way off base.

Same with me. My family fought for the union. But they owned slaves too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You're so off base and wrong its sad. I don't think you've ever met any actual Southerns. This type of blatant stereotyping is exactly why southerners don't like northerners.

I have been to the Kentucky Derby many times, and have heard wealthy Southern gentlemen refer to Jewish people as "New York"types . Plenty of coded language down south. Stereotypes on both sides of the fence.

Timeline

I have been to the Kentucky Derby many times, and have heard wealthy Southern gentlemen refer to Jewish people as "New York"types . Plenty of coded language down south. Stereotypes on both sides of the fence.

Yes, being a "New York Type" has a negative slant here for sure. I don't think black people see that portion of it. But don't get me wrong, there's also rampant racism in the south but not nearly like it used to be.

My family fought for the union. But they owned slaves too.

yep. me too.

war is complicated, we really shouldn't be so focused on a flag.

Including minor cavalry raids and patrols, and occasional reconnaissances by various forces, it is claimed that Winchester changed hands as many as 72 times during the course of the war, and 13 times in one day. Battles raged all along Main Street at different points in the war....

During the Federal occupation of Winchester, many residents were exiled from town, personal property was stolen, citizens rendering medical assistance to wounded soldiers were shot and murdered, homes were illegally stolen, occupied and destroyed, a medical school was burned down, and the citizens of the Commonwealth were not allowed to vote on re-admittance to the Union under the reign of Major General Schofield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester,_Virginia_in_the_American_Civil_War

Yes, being a "New York Type" has a negative slant here for sure. I don't think black people see that portion of it. But don't get me wrong, there's also rampant racism in the south but not nearly like it used to be.

not like it used to be, but racism is very much alive and well here..

Timeline

That can't possibly be called reasoning.

What is reasonable - or even rational - about hating someone because of something that happened 150 years ago? Everyone who fought in the Civil War is now long dead. The false claim of heritage is pure bs and is only a cloak under which to hide prejudice and intolerance, which as the nation and the world saw in Charleston is still very much alive.

As you yourself say, there are southerners who are prejudiced against you because you're from the north and there are northerners who are prejudiced against southerners. Doesn't make it right.

Ironically, the same people who so staunchly talk about confederate pride are the same who dismissed claims of reparations by black Americans. I will believe all this heritage bs when they stop flying an anti-American symbol such as the confederate flag and start talking about paying reparations to the descendent of slaves.

missed-the-point.png

Maybe but I've never heard that reasoning. The hate usually has to do with atrocities committed by the US Army like the razing of Atlanta, progressives/liberals in general, and mostly the perceived arrogance of Northerners in general. If you have a strong Southern accent you're usually written off as an ignorant redneck by Northerners. I live in Southern KY now and the people here call me a Yankee or a Hoosier because I grew up on the Ohio river. (Across from Indiana) That and I've never heard of terms like "no count" or putting peanuts in one's coke.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

At some level they are the same in that they show great ignorance of history.

And yes, you should be hating Marv... not making peace! :rofl:

It's ironic when the person who embodies what some people hate the most about the human race has to be the peacekeeper.

I don't think you can compare the folks who wave the Confederate Flag in the same vein as those who wave the Nazi Flag. Because while everyone in the world is very clear on what the Third Reich stood for, the same can't be said the Confederacy. There are those people who think it means southern pride. That can be interpreted in different ways.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

That can't possibly be called reasoning.

What is reasonable - or even rational - about hating someone because of something that happened 150 years ago? Everyone who fought in the Civil War is now long dead. The false claim of heritage is pure bs and is only a cloak under which to hide prejudice and intolerance, which as the nation and the world saw in Charleston is still very much alive.

As you yourself say, there are southerners who are prejudiced against you because you're from the north and there are northerners who are prejudiced against southerners. Doesn't make it right.

Ironically, the same people who so staunchly talk about confederate pride are the same who dismissed claims of reparations by black Americans. I will believe all this heritage bs when they stop flying an anti-American symbol such as the confederate flag and start talking about paying reparations to the descendent of slaves.

missed-the-point.png

They don't like northerners because they treat southerners like a bunch of backwoods ignorant redneck hicks. That's the crux of the matter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's ironic when the person who embodies what some people hate the most about the human race has to be the peacekeeper.

I don't think you can compare the folks who wave the Confederate Flag in the same vein as those who wave the Nazi Flag. Because while everyone in the world is very clear on what the Third Reich stood for, the same can't be said the Confederacy. There are those people who think it means southern pride. That can be interpreted in different ways.

Hmm. At the tIme, in Germany there were many in denial, unaware etc. many didn't know about concentration camps. But now the young have studied the history of their country and are have been educated about the facts.

Not so sure about how history is taught in the southern states of the U.S. (See eieio's previous remarks)

Timeline

Seems an inevitable assessment on those who use words such as 'hoosier', 'yankee' or 'NY type' in a derogatory context....

They don't like northerners because they treat southerners like a bunch of backwoods ignorant redneck hicks. That's the crux of the matter.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

Seems an inevitable assessment on those who use words such as 'hoosier', 'yankee' or 'NY type' in a derogatory context....

Well, I guess you've got it figured out despite being guilty of the same types of comments. Be prepared for others making inevitable assessments in your direction as well. I prefer to think people are a bit more complicated.