Jump to content

When filing for I-129F, is a divorce decree sufficient as evidence of termination of prior marriages?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


Based on Form I-129F Instructions page 5:

"If either of you was married before, submit evidence that all prior marriages have been terminated. Evidence of termination of prior marriages may include a divorce decree, or an annulment or a death certificate issued by a competent civil authority."

However, I got confused by some mixed information I researched/got from some other online fora. One suggests that besides a divorce decree, you need to have a statement declaring that you have not been married since the divorce. And have that statement notarized.

Is it necessary? Please advise. Thanks.

------------ K1 & K 2 -------------

07/29/2015 I-129F sent

08/04/2015 I-129F NOA1 received

09/21/2015 NVC received

11/13/2015 Consulate (Guanzhou, China) received

04/05/2016 Interview

K1 & K2 approved

05/15/2015 POE

06/09/2016 Married!

------------ AOS ------------------

07/30/2016 I-485/I-765/I-131 Delivered

08/12/2016 Emails/texts from USCIS receipt notification

08/01/2016 Official NOA receipt date

08/31/2016 Biometrics done

10/11/2016 I-131 approved

10/28/2016 Received EAD/AP Card

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You only need the divorce decree.

NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014



NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;

Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  RFE:  07/09/2015;

Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015



05/23/2017 -- Mailed ROC application

05/24/2017 -- NOA1 date

05/30/2017 -- NOA1 received in the mail

06/05/2017 -- Biometrics letter received

06/13/2017 -- Biometrics appointment

09/05/2018 -- Approved without interview!

09/13/2018 -- 10 Yr Green card Received


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.