Jump to content

Urgent help required! Please ! :'(

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

My name is Evelyne, I'm a Belgian citizen and married to an American Citizen since March 2015. I got married will I had a exchange student visa (J1). After my exchange, in June, I had to go back in Belgium, and now I am back in the USA under the ESTA authorization. I will return back in Belgium in August. My only way to come back legally is under this ESTA authorization, but I can only stay for a 90 days period, after which I have to leave the country.

I want to live with my husband here, I want to come back asap in the USA after August.

I've read a lot about the different ways to get here legally. My husband and I are planning on filing a I130 form (with everything else required) tomorrow. I was planning on filing a I-129F form (you have to in order to get K3 visa) immediately after receiving notification (as explained on the travel.state website), in order to eventually get a K3 visa. Once in the US, I'm planning on applying for a CR1 visa...

However, I just read a few discussion on this forum and I'm getting really scared about this process. Is it taking a long time? Is it worth it? What are my other option? I'm newly married, we were not planning on staying in the USA but our plans changed last minute. I don't want to stay for month away from my husband...

Please, help me with whatever information you have. What should I do ?

Thank you so much!


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~~moved to what visa do I need from K3 progress reports~~

I would personally forget about the K3. They're virtually obsolete. Besides that you don't apply for a CR1 from within the USA. A K3 requires an adjustment of status to obtain a green card. It's approximately twice the cost of the CR1 and takes just as long to obtain.

All of it takes about a year. You can still visit during that time.

Are you CURRENTLY in the USA?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you married a US citizen, I believe you need a visa to re-enter and not the ESTA if you plan on staying.. I might be wrong.




09/14/2017 : Package Sent (CSC)

09/15/2017 : Package Received (CSC)

09/15/2017 : NOA1 Date

10/12/2017 : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision


09/01/2018 : Application Sent (online)

--/--/---- NOA1 Date

--/--/---- : Biometrics

--/--/---- : Interview

--/--/---- : Decision

So it's not gonna be easy.

It's going to be really hard;

we're gonna have to work at this everyday,

but I want to do that because I want you.

I want all of you, forever, everyday.

You and me.. everyday.

___The NoteBook

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Thank you about your answer.

Yes I'm currently in the USA. I'm leaving in August and coming back in September if everything goes well.... Under ESTA.

If you are currently in the USA then don't leave and file for AOS.

You are allowed to adjust your status. You are allowed to make a spontaneous decision. It sounds very much like you did not intend to stay and didn't realize this was a legal avenue for you.

Follow this guide:


You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.