Khamsa

Applied within 90 days of eligibility. Can interview be done before eligibility date?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

just wondering if this is even possible. Most likely interview won't be that soon, but thought I would ask some of the more experienced users on this forum. My eligibility date is in 2 months and I just had my fingerprints yesterday.

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

just wondering if this is even possible. Most likely interview won't be that soon, but thought I would ask some of the more experienced users on this forum. My eligibility date is in 2 months and I just had my fingerprints yesterday.

Thanks.

Yes, it is possible, but it is less likely to happen. If the interview happens before ( 3yrs or 5 yrs rule ), then approval won't be given on spot.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks.

1) Legally, yes it's possible. The only thing that can't happen is that you can't take your oath before the anniversary.

2) Legally, you can be interviewed and approved before your anniversary. However, many offices will not apporve you before the ceremony. This is office policy, not USCIS policy or law. Some offices will approve you and schedule you for an oath after your anniversary.

3) Some offices will not interview you before your anniversary. This is office policy. Houston for example will schedule you for a date after your anniversary. I have read about a number of cases where people where scheduled for interviews before their anniversaries in Houston and were sent away with a rescheduled interview letter for a few weeks later.

4) In one extreme example (the only one I've read about) an applicant was denied because USCIS scheduled his interview before his anniversary. The interviewer refuses to listen to his explanation that firstly it wasn't his fault because he hadn't scheduled the interview and that secondly it shouldn't matter in any case. He filed a complaint with the office supervisor and the decision was reversed.

This issue came up a few times over the last few years, but with the current processing times it's very unlikely that it would happen. Perhaps in some of the faster offices (for example Columbus).

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Yes it can happen. I remember when I had my interview (NYC), the officer mentioned to me that he just had such a case and that it usually should not happen but they don't care if it happens.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.