ElectricBlue30

Showing proof of personal income, how important is it?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi All,

I am the USC living in Australia with my wife, two step kids, and baby of our own (my wife and I).

We just received the NVC Welcome Letter (PAOSF) and now need to go through the next stages.

A few of the documents suggested on the "Document Cover Sheet" are Affidavit of Support, IRS Tax Transcript, Federal Income Tax Returns, W2, Evidence of Income, Social Security Earnings Statement, etc. etc.

My first question is, how critical and important are these various documents (the cover sheet leaves the option to select "Enclosed, Unavailable or Not Applicable" next to each item.

Here's where I'm mixed:

For the past 3 years I've submitted my U.S. tax returns which has virtually shown ZERO income, not realizing I needed to report Australian income as well (which has been around $40,000 per year). At some point, I need to update those tax returns, but am not sure it's essential to this visa process.

So on paper, with the current U.S. tax returns, it will appear as though I have zero income. What I believe will work in our favor is the fact that my wife has income (higher than the $40,000), and my parents, who are EXTREMELY well off, are providing an Affidavit of Support.

So with that said... going into this with an Affidavit of Support from family members who are doing extremely well financially, will it be an issue that my income says virtually zero?

Finally, how essential are these other "financial" documents: the IRS tax transcript, federal income tax returns, social security earnings statement, etc.? I'm not even sure where to get some of these.

Thank you so much!

If you haven't already read this wiki. http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process It will answer some of your questions about where to get some of the docs you're asking about and help you figure out what is necessary and what isn't. My understanding is you MUST have the tax transcript or your complete tax return for at least 2014. Having 2012 and 2013 would be a bonus and might be worth getting for the interview.

Since you're living in Australia with your wife, have you given thought about how you'll prove you have or are re-establishing domicile in the US? The wiki talks about that too.

Re tax returns. My understanding is even once you've fixed them to include your Aussie income, it will still say $0 on your i864 because of how it all works. However, I would say you NEED to get your tax returns corrected before you go any further. Since it sounds like you have a joint sponsor, your income won't matter. The fact that your wife is making $40,000 doesn't matter unless that income will continue once you move to the US.

IR1 Visa

Service Center: CSC

Marriage: 2011/09/24

Baby girl: 2012/12/31

I-130 Sent: 2015/04/08 - USC filing from abroad

NOA 1: 2015/04/10

NOA 2: 2015/05/20 - 40 days!!

NVC Received: 2015/06/05

Case number assigned: 2015/06/17

Submitted DS-261: 2015/07/05

Paid AOS fee: 2015/07/10

Paid IV fee: 2015/07/27

Submitted via email AOS and IV packets: 2015/07/27

Checklist: 2015/08/05 - for DS-260 was having website difficulties and didn't realise they would review our case in 11 days.

Submitted DS-260: 2015/08/07

Supervisor Review: 2015/09/14 - 38 days after submitted DS-260 and still waiting

Checklist/Email from Supervisor?: 2015/09/18 - for missing police certificate, even though we were suppose to submit directly to the Australian consulate. Emailed them as requested stating that info and called stating that info was told to wait another 30 days for them to respond?!?!?!?! :ranting: At least now I'm in direct email communication with a someone.

Case Complete!! - 2015/09/22 - 110 days

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You as the USC petitioner are the primary sponsor regardless of income. So you must comply with the I-864 requirements. Not doing so could lead to delays while RFE's are sent. Better to prepare ahead and have the smooth sailing as you plan to relocate the family.

Also a joint sponsor is singular. So one family member's income will be measured. If needed that sponsor may be able to combine their income with a household member using the form I-864a. See the I-864 instructions and/or FAQ for more information.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.