Jump to content

Advice on working visa

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My partner is moving from South America to NYC. I'm based in London and he asked me to join.

I've been working for Starbucks for nearly 8 years as a store manager.

As I understand you can only apply for a working visa if your employer offered you a contract but only certain occupations will be considered.

I have contacted HR to help me see if I would be able go get a transfer but this does not look promising as the UK does not deal with international transfers.

Would I be able to apply for a working / holiday visa if I could get a job in my current role it I could provide a contact? I only want to go for a year.

If not, any other suggestion that would help make this possible? Ideally a working visa would be amazing, but I would be open to do intern work / voluntree work for a year.

Please help!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


We do not have holiday/working visas. There is nothing that will allow you to live here for a year to volunteer. It's extremely unlikely that you will get any work visa since most take years to get.

You should get marry and come as a spouse. That's probably your only option.

Best of luck.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

L is the normal visa for a US company to move management to the US.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.