jontytyt

Timing of travel to US - rescheduling Visa interview

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm petitioning for my wife whose embassy is in the middle east (Qatar). We planned to travel to the US this summer. However NVC took a long time and finally gave an interview at the end of summer (Aug 30). So my wife can't go this summer, and she renewed her job contract and made other commitments. Therefore we would like to plan to travel to the US next summer (2016). The problem is, if she goes for the scheduled interview, she will have to travel to the US within 6 months of getting the visa. Can we reschedule the interview to a date 6 months later? Do you think the embassy would do that? What other options do we have to delay travel?

Edited by jontytyt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I can't answer to how to delay it, however keep in mind the visa is good for 6 months from the date of the medical, not the date of issue. . I've seen others make that assumption and had a surprise when they got their visa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm petitioning for my wife whose embassy is in the middle east (Qatar). We planned to travel to the US this summer. However NVC took a long time and finally gave an interview at the end of summer (Aug 30). So my wife can't go this summer, and she renewed her job contract and made other commitments. Therefore we would like to plan to travel to the US next summer (2016). The problem is, if she goes for the scheduled interview, she will have to travel to the US within 6 months of getting the visa. Can we reschedule the interview to a date 6 months later? Do you think the embassy would do that? What other options do we have to delay travel?

You would need another PCC, new tax return filings, maybe a whole new i864. It will be a hassle. For me personally coming to US would be a lot higher priority than whatever job she has. And why would she renew her contract now when she knows she might be coming here soon?

Edited by just87

Filed: Timeline

No, the medical expires in a year. The visa expires in 6 months unless the medical expires sooner.

She renewed her job because NVC was taking much longer than the time they promised. Actually we live together overseas at the moment. I work for an agency that qualifies me to work abroad and still maintain the equivalence of US residence (similar to people in armed forces). So we are not in a hurry to move. We want to move at our convenience and summer is most convenient. So, any ideas how to delay?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

No, the medical expires in a year. The visa expires in 6 months unless the medical expires sooner.

She renewed her job because NVC was taking much longer than the time they promised. Actually we live together overseas at the moment. I work for an agency that qualifies me to work abroad and still maintain the equivalence of US residence (similar to people in armed forces). So we are not in a hurry to move. We want to move at our convenience and summer is most convenient. So, any ideas how to delay?

My husbands was 6 months, this was in 2013. I've seen others on visa journey that were 6 months as well. Maybe they've changed it, if not you may want to double check as that may come into play too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.