RH_Weston

What happen when there is no marriage on a K1 visa?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: TD Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello all,

I have a friend of mine who in 2010 got a K1 visa, she traveled to the USA but at the end the things did not work out with her boyfriend and she did not get married. She left the USA before the 90 days period and came back to Colombia.

On 2013 she applied for a Tourist visa and the embassy staff (not the consular officer) who receives the documentation told her she had an open case for a K1 visa. They told her she needs to close that case by sending an email to the embassy stating she did not get married and she left the country.

So we have these questions:

1. Is it possible that the k1 case is still open at the embassy?
2. If so, is it enough to sending an email and requesting the case to be closed?
3. Did she had to notify the embassy there was no marriage at the time she decided to leave the USA and come back?

4. Having a K1 Visa precedent, could be a factor for tourist visa denial? (she was denied on 2013 but we are thinking it was because she could not show strong ties to Colombia at that time).

She is willing to apply again for a tourist visa and she want to minimize the risk of a denial, by now her conditions has changed and we believe she is elegible for a visitor visa.

Thanks in advance for your help and attention.

Best regards,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My current wife, Colombian, had this same thing occur to her, where she came to the US on a K1 but the relationship didn't work out and she returned to Colombia. A year later our relationship kindled. I had known her from previous visits as a friend but we proceeded on with a romantic relationship for about a year and then got married last year. We're in the final stages of getting a CR-1 visa. She's already been interviewed and approved and we are waiting for the visa to print.

She did not send anything to the consulate concerning the failure of her earlier relationship and she did not receive any notification that her K-1 visa application was still open. I don't think you have anything to worry about based upon my wife's experience. Her earlier K-1 visa had no bearing on getting approved for her current CR-1 visa.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.