dee4dub

SSN for K1 visa - Have SSN from previous visa (E2)

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi guys,

i have a tricky situation that i could do with some advice.

I am currently in The US on a K1 visa - i entered the US On May 7th 2015 - I already have a social security number from a previous visa (E2) - it says on my SSN "valid for work only with DHS Authorization" . I Guess my question is - Now that i have entered the US on a different Visa (K1) - do i need to notify SS and update my card or can i just leave it for now??? I'm Confused

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about SSN, past K1~

(mod hat off)

Congrats!!!

It is not a tricky situation at all. One that comes up more than you could imagine. Your SSN is still your SSN. Just leave it for now. If you filed for Adjustment of Status/Employment Authorization Document/Advance Parole, AOS/EAD/AP (I-485/I-765/I-131), and received your EAD/AP combo card, take it and a completed SS-5 application then took them to SSA office for processing. The SSN card you will receive will still have the "Valid work only...." statement on it. The EAD card (or Green Card (GC)) is the requisite DHS authorization document. After you receive your 2-yr conditional Green Card, you can take it, and a completed SS-5 application to the SSA office and apply to receive another SSN card without the "Valid work..." statement on it.

http://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Oh Great!! thank-you so much for the helpful information. Finally someone has explained it to me so i can understand - even the SS office was unhelpful!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Oh Great!! thank-you so much for the helpful information. Finally someone has explained it to me so i can understand - even the SS office was unhelpful!!

Oh, you are most welcome. BTW, the SSA is just another monstrous Fed bureaucracy, and it seems that some of their employees are not the sharpest tools in the shed.... B-)

BTW, How are things in the City of Salt? Born and raised there, used to spend the hot summer days at the Fairmont Park pool in Sugar House, cooling off, checking out the girls......

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Oh cool! Yeah Salt Lake is great . We love it here. The outdoor/mountain lifestyle is right up our alley so we are happy.. We are actually right by sugar house. Up near the university..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.