JohnR!

Charleston Shooting Reignites Debate About Confederate Flag

66 posts in this topic

This is my ethnicity breakdown according to DNA testing done through Ancestry.com:

Western European 44%

Native American 43%

Africa 8%

West Asia 4%

Asia 1%

Both set of grandparents immigrated from Mexico in the 1910's. My Father's side of the family has more of the European blood since most of my aunts and uncles look white. I consider myself white-hispanic of Mexican descent.

That's pretty cool. How does that work

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

That's pretty cool. How does that work

Here is a link to their webpage:

http://dna.ancestry.com/?s_kwcid=ancestry+dna+testing&o_xid=58713&o_lid=58713&o_sch=Paid+Search+%e2%80%93+Brand

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

In essence, you're as much an American as anyone else...

This is my ethnicity breakdown according to DNA testing done through Ancestry.com:

Western European 44%

Native American 43%

Africa 8%

West Asia 4%

Asia 1%

Both set of grandparents immigrated from Mexico in the 1910's. My Father's side of the family has more of the European blood since most of my aunts and uncles look white. I consider myself white-hispanic of Mexican descent.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Western European 44%

Native American 43%

Africa 8%

West Asia 4%

Asia 1%

Got you.

So basically your family had nothing to do with civil war.

I have some old tin type phonts of family members posing in their confederate uniforms.

This is why I say the Confederate Flag represents heritage and southern tradition to me and many who don't see the flag as a issue....

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is the U.S. There should be one flag. We don't need confederate and the freaking Texas flag. There should be the U.S. flag only.

Most if not almost all people in Texas are very proud of what the Texas flag represents, it's probably the most popular and easily recognized state flag in the USA.

We have all type of flags displayed, and it's our right to display them. I see gay flag, Mexican flag, even some pirate flags displayed at lakes, I don't get all worked up about them

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Most if not almost all people in Texas are very proud of what the Texas flag represents, it's probably the most popular and easily recognized state flag in the USA.

We have all type of flags displayed, and it's our right to display them. I see gay flag, Mexican flag, even some pirate flags displayed at lakes, I don't get all worked up about them

km5ht.jpg

How simplistic your argument is. Gay flags, pirate flags do not represent oppression. Only insane people in Japan would fly the imperial navy flag today.

Best wishes to your cats.

Shame the South did not know about Mexicans back them, it could all have been avoided.

Waiting for an explanation. Or is it racist?

Being born and raised in Dallas, TX and having lived all my life in Dallas County, it is nice to see there are other people who share my feelings about the Confederate flag. This article does a good job of expressing my feelings:

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/message-claim-confederate-flag-represents-heritage/

it's sort of funny, earlier in the spring i noticed on my way home from work that one of the houses along the way that had been empty all winter suddenly had a huge confederate flag across the front porch. the porch practically sits on the road, the house is so close and they are certainly porch sitters. which are fairly easy to spot (an abudance of cheap walmart outdoor chairs and piles of garbage waiting to go to the dump, sprinkled with coors cans). there were a few times i saw them all sitting out there, all proud n shirtless - cause 'murica.

but last friday night, coming home from work - the flag was gone from the porch. i wonder if they were embarassed or worried some passerby would take issue and pay them a visit.. given the nc shooting.

Timeline

it's sort of funny, earlier in the spring i noticed on my way home from work that one of the houses along the way that had been empty all winter suddenly had a huge confederate flag across the front porch. the porch practically sits on the road, the house is so close and they are certainly porch sitters. which are fairly easy to spot (an abudance of cheap walmart outdoor chairs and piles of garbage waiting to go to the dump, sprinkled with coors cans). there were a few times i saw them all sitting out there, all proud n shirtless - cause 'murica.

but last friday night, coming home from work - the flag was gone from the porch. i wonder if they were embarassed or worried some passerby would take issue and pay them a visit.. given the nc shooting.

I thought "porch sitters" was a racist expression? Personally, don't know why.

I thought "porch sitters" was a racist expression? Personally, don't know why.

if it is, i didn't know. porch sitting is one of my favorite pastimes. i just keep my shirt on and put my empties in the recycling. oh and no flags on my porch. obstructs the view.

Timeline

if it is, i didn't know. porch sitting is one of my favorite pastimes. i just keep my shirt on and put my empties in the recycling. oh and no flags on my porch. obstructs the view.

Yep. It was referenced in some film .. Sounds an ideal occutpation to me;)

Timeline

So can you explain Boiler's joke? I don't live in the States so don't get it. Am guessing it is some white guy loser fantasy . Lots of them on this site, for sure.

Yep. It was referenced in some film .. Sounds an ideal occutpation to me;)

well, i wouldn't be surprised if the term was used in a derogatory way towards black people, but porch sitting is best part of summertime, imo. haters gonna hate.

So can you explain Boiler's joke? I don't live in the States so don't get it. Am guessing it is some white guy loser fantasy . Lots of them on this site, for sure.

no, i have no idea what he's talking about. sorry.

but you're guess is a good start, sounds like the right track.

Timeline

well, i wouldn't be surprised if the term was used in a derogatory way towards black people, but porch sitting is best part of summertime, imo. haters gonna hate.

no, i have no idea what he's talking about. sorry.

but you're guess is a good start, sounds like the right track.

Yep. He and VOL think women should never answer back to a man.