Jump to content

Translation of overseas child support documents

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. Thanks for a great site. It has been great help for submitting N-400.

I have a question about translating documents for the interview. I am applying for citizenship on the 5-year rule. I got the Green Card through my US citizen ex-wife. We have one child, born after I got the GC. They both now live overseas. We got divorced last year, in the courts of the country where they live. We are on good terms and I pay child maintenance every month. She made an affidavit about this which I submitted with my application.

My question is about other supporting documents about this. The country where they live sets child support according to your income. So it is standard, not decided in each case by a judge like in the US. So our divorce agreement just says “exact amount determined by the Official Child Support Table” and that is what I pay.

But that Table is a long bureaucratic document, with pages and pages of notes. Do I need to get that document translated too to show what the amount I am officially supposed to pay is?

Also, our divorce agreement itself is 12 pages long, but only one paragraph is about child support. A lot of it is just legal blah-blah. Do I need to get the whole agreement translated, or just that one paragraph?

If anyone has opinions, I’d be very grateful. I don’t want to make any mistakes. Thanks!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.