neoes

Doing own FBI background check for info sake?

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever done their own FBI Background check just for info sake to see what's in the file while waiting for N400 to process? I had a couple of no no's from 9 years ago, all dismissed, and I have the court dispositions filed with the application. But I'm just curious to see what's on the FBI file for me, so that I can see what my IO might see at interview. Will running your own check from a livescan same-day report place cause issues? I have already done my biometrics about a month ago, and waiting for interview.

Thanks.

By issues I mean delays, or other potential hazards. I know that you can request your own fbi file for review-sake or to correct anything, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I believe you can do a background check on yourself with the FBI but you will have to pay money. Besides it won't have as much info about you as USCIS or a government agency would get about you.

I could be wrong but I know you could background check on yourself with DMV or a court.

I don't think it will cause any issues.

You can.

Privacy Act Request

The Privacy Act allows U.S. citizens and lawfully admitted aliens to request information on themselves or another living person.

If you are requesting information about yourself, you must use one of the following options:

Option 1: Use the U.S. Department of Justice Certification of Identity Form DOJ-361. You may submit an attachment listing additional information that may aid in locating responsive records. Please place your name and contact information on the attachment.

Option 2: Following the instructions in U.S. Department of Justice Certification of Identity Form DOJ-361, submit a letter to the FBI, sign your request, and have it notarized or state, “Under penalty of perjury, I hereby declare that I am the person named above and I understand that any falsification of this statement is punishable under the provisions of Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 1001 by a fine of not more than $10,000 or by imprisonment of not more than five years, or both; and that requesting or obtaining any record(s) under false pretenses is punishable under the provisions of Title 5, U. S. C., Section 552a(i)(3) as a misdemeanor and by a fine of not more than $5,000.” If you have any questions about this process before submitting your FOIPA request, please e-mail foipaquestions@ic.fbi.gov.

Thank you silkafi88. I understand that an individual may not get their full and complete file because some data may be classified like name check records, etc. I'm just wondering if what FBI provides is less, more or same as what you get when you ask for dispositions from a county court.

Edited by neoes

Filed: Timeline

Ah, yes, you can request FBI arrest records and such, but this is a bit different than asking FBI to conduct a background check.

Years ago, I did some work for a defense contractor and had to undergo a background check for the proper clearances. FBI conducted this check to the behest of DOD. These records are, presumably, available to me upon request, but I don't believe a typical citizen/resident is able to request such a background check be conducted.

Edited by novedsac

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Please take this with a grain of salt because it is a total gues son my part... I'm just thinking out loud really (or while o type I should say).

I would assume that if you requested your information from the FBI or any government agency, they would give you a copy of the information that is currently in your file. On the other hand, when USCIS asks for a background check, they get more because the FBI will actually conduct a full background check. Instead of handing over a file they will actually do a multi-agency check. They have your addresses and they can check local police records. None of that local information would be in your federal file before the background check.

Now, not sure what happens if you ask for the information after the USCIS background check... is all that additional information now included in your file?

That probably wasn't too helpful, but if you do request the information I hope we hear from you how detailed it was.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Thank you Jimmy, that was actually helpful. I'll be sure to update here. I'm almost leaning towards getting a livescan during the week. The place near me that does it says you get results and report available within 24hrs. Fee is $50.

My only concern is will it impact my application in any sort of way, or will FBI then tell uscis that i also requested my file. Don't want to complicate things, and let the process wrap up as quickly as possible. On the other hand, it would be nice to see what information is on there just for my own information sake and perhaps share the info with my lawyer.

Edited by neoes

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Doing a request on yourself would be a waste of time. It will only tell you what is readily available publically and what you already know about yourself. USCIS probably does not conduct a full check on people. A full background check probably takes way longer than 15 minutes to do. Try intellius, it is just as effective.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Doing a request on yourself would be a waste of time. It will only tell you what is readily available publically and what you already know about yourself. USCIS probably does not conduct a full check on people. A full background check probably takes way longer than 15 minutes to do. Try intellius, it is just as effective.

I agree that doing a background check on oneself doesn't seem like a good use of time.

If the OP is worried about something in particular then he should get a lawyer and prepare for it. There isn't going to be anything serious in his record that he has no idea about. Anything that he does know about needs to be disclosed.

I'm not sure I uderstand the point about a background check taking more than 15 minutes... I agree it would take longer, but USCIS background checks through the FBI take days, if not weeks and in some cases months.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

It's more just for curiosity sake than anything else. Everything was disclosed by my attorney because he prepared the application for me. Sent in dispositions. All previous incidents are from 2006 and older and nothing since, and all were dismissed as Nolle Presequi or S.O.L. which in my state means a dismissal without any penalty, probation, or restrictions, etc.

Just to update you guys, I got the report earlier today. It lists the same stuff that my county court had, for which I have the dispositions already. Interesting thing is that 1 of the incidents shows S.O.L. (Stricken off leave, which is dismissal in Illinois), but the others just list charges and no outcome; at least not on the report.

Lol, well at least now I know what's on there. Thank you guys for your feedback.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.