lala64

Jamaica... Police certificate Help!

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So I wanted my fiancé to be prepared with the documents by the time the paperwork hit the US Embassy in Kingston. I sort of pressed him to get some items he would need from information I found here on VJ. this past Tuesday he went to Montego Bay and applied for his and his sons's passport and went to get his Police Certificate. According to him he took 2 passport photos signed by the Justice of the Peace and his TRN and paid the 3000 JMD to have the certificate in 21 days. Heres is where there might be a small problem. He did not tell them that the certificate was for immigration purposes or supply them with his passport because remember he doesn't have it yet. Is the certificate that he will receive going to be sufficient for the interview OR should he wait for the passport and reapply telling them he needs it for immigration. Also he didn't have the letter from the embassy stating that he needs it. I have read where some use the passport and letter and some don't. What is the right way and are we OK?

We just got my husband's police certificate about a month ago. You wont need anything from the embassy as far as a letter, but you will need to state it's for immigration purposes. They actually have a "To" section on the police certificate and it has the US embassy and address on it. It will definitely need that!

USCIS

11/12/14 - I-130 Packet Sent! (Phoenix Lockbox)

11/14/14 - I-130 Delivered

11/18/14 - NOA1 (Sent to TSC)

3/2/15 - NOA2

3/10/15 - Sent to NVC

NVC

3/17/15 - Received by NVC

3/23/15 - Case number assigned

3/23/15 - DS 261 completed

3/24/15 - AOS Fee Invoiced

3/27/15 - AOS Fee Paid

4/28/15 - IV Fee Invoiced

4/29/15 - IV Fee Paid

5/3/15 - IV Application Complete

5/26/15 - AOS & IV Packet Sent

5/28/15 - AOS & IV Delivered

6/3/15 - Email received stating scan date of 5/28/15

6/23/15 - Case Complete

8/12/15 - Requested expedite at NVC

8/19/15 - Received email - Expedite Approved! (57 days after Case Complete)

8/21/15 - Case left NVC

Embassy

8/24/15 - Case Received

8/26/15 - Interview Scheduled

9/2/15 - Medical Exam

9/11/15 - Interview - Approved!!

9/15/15 - Visa Issued

9/21/15 - Visa In Hand

10/30/15 - POE!!

11/24/15 - Social Security Card received in the mail

Timeline

We just got my husband's police certificate about a month ago. You wont need anything from the embassy as far as a letter, but you will need to state it's for immigration purposes. They actually have a "To" section on the police certificate and it has the US embassy and address on it. It will definitely need that!

Did your husband take his passport also?

Did your husband take his passport also?

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to answer that too :) Yes, he did take his passport! He had to show it!

USCIS

3/2/15 - NOA2

3/10/15 - Sent to NVC

NVC

3/27/15 - AOS Fee Paid

4/29/15 - IV Fee Paid

6/23/15 - Case Complete

8/21/15 - Case left NVC

Embassy

8/24/15 - Case Received

9/2/15 - Medical Exam

9/15/15 - Visa Issued

9/21/15 - Visa In Hand

10/30/15 - POE!!

Timeline

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to answer that too :) Yes, he did take his passport! He had to show it!

Well we just donated 60 USD to Jamaica Police Dept. we have to do it again and then get an expedite version. Live and learn... Sigh. thanks for your help. He called and they told him that they need his passport and also it was too late to change the address. On to the next challenge,

Filed: Timeline

Why is he getting police cert....did he get a check-list from NVC?

they last only 6 mths....he can get that when he gets his interview date

He must take PP, tell them its for US Embassy & it can be expedited if

he needs to ...He should be working on their vaccines instead not police

certs yet....do they both got all their shots so far?

They are actually good for one year for Jamaican police certificates!

USCIS

3/2/15 - NOA2

3/10/15 - Sent to NVC

NVC

3/27/15 - AOS Fee Paid

4/29/15 - IV Fee Paid

6/23/15 - Case Complete

8/21/15 - Case left NVC

Embassy

8/24/15 - Case Received

9/2/15 - Medical Exam

9/15/15 - Visa Issued

9/21/15 - Visa In Hand

10/30/15 - POE!!

Timeline

Yes that was my error I read on here that he needed one so I told him to get one without all the details. and no we have not received our checklist NVC gave me my case number and said it should be leaving any day so I figured to get a head start. I am unsure about the shots. His son should be current but unsure about him was actually WAITING on the instructions to make medical apt for exam and shots. Why do those take more than one visit if they need shots? I am now waiting for packet 3 before we waste anymore money thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My fiancé got his police report months ahead of time. His police certificate was dated July and he interviewed in December. There was not an issue with that. He did not use nor did they ask for his passport. I'm not sure if he told them it was for immigration or not. I'll have to ask him. I was there but don't remember that part. I'm unaware that there is 2 different types of police certificates. First time I'm hearing this. I'll check with him and post back.

Timeline

In Montego Bay they don't expedite the police record even if yo pay extra for one. At the Kingston office you can pay the expedite and have it in one day

Secondly, if you wait too long for Packet 3 you may want to email the embassy in Kington and let them know. We never got our mail until months after the fact which was tampered with. The embassy can send your packet and appointment notice all through email

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.