tolitzpogi

AOS Interview Experience

4 posts in this topic

Hello folks!

My wife and I just completed our AOS interview this morning and I wanted to share our experience.

Our interview was scheduled for 8:15am at the Federal Building in Downtown L.A. We arrived there at roughly 6:40am and the building was still closed, but the line was already fairly long. We waited for about 30 minutes before we were finally let in. Once we got in, we proceeded to the 8th floor and gave our appointment letter to one of the windows, and they asked us to wait for my wife's name to be called.

As we waited in our seats, we took notice of our surroundings. It was still around 7:45am and we noticed there were only about 8-10 people/couples waiting for their names to be called. One of the things we noticed was that more than half of them had an attorney with them. My wife and I were chatting among ourselves and we were joking about some of the questions to be asked - we were in a pretty jolly mood due to excitement and the fact that we had prepared well for our interview. We noticed that almost everyone there looked tense - some of the couples weren't even speaking with each other that much, and I noted that to my wife and told her that we seemed relatively noisy compared to the rest of the people there.

At around 8am they called my wife's name, so we entered the room, and our interview was a Hispanic lady named Eva who was very courteous. She asked us for our IDs and my wife's passport, then swore us in. She asked for a copy of my passport as well; I brought my U.S. passport but didn't have copies of it. She offered to photocopy it and I handed it to her.

The questions she asked my wife were:

• Her name
  • Her birthday
  • Her current address
  • When the wedding took place
  • Where and when I proposed to her

The questions she asked me were:

• Where the wedding took place
  • How I met my wife

She asked for our joint documents and I provided her copies of our join bank statement, phone bill showing my wife's name in the family plan, my health insurance documents showing my wife as my beneficiary, and a recent mail from the Franchise Tax Board showing both our names with the same address. She also took a look at our wedding album and asked my wife about random photos, mostly checking if she knew everyone who attended.

After that she asked my wife the mandatory questions to complete the interview (i.e. is she a member of the communist party, did she commit a crime, etc), then informed her that everything seems to be in order and there was no reason for the application to not be approved, but they needed to do a final background check; she then asked us to wait outside for a decision on approval. Before we went out, I brought up the issue of my wife leaving the country.

Since my wife was scheduled to leave for the Philippines on Friday, I immediately told the IO about it and showed her my wife's itinerary, one that showed her leaving alone on 06/12, and the other showing her and her two K2 daughters coming back on 06/25. She told me that it was a good thing she informed me, and she said she will ask her supervisor if a stamp can be placed on my wife's passport. She took my wife's passport and asked us to wait outside.

We waited outside for about 10 minutes, and then the IO called us and she both our passports, with my wife's passport having the I-551 stamp that was valid for three months, as well as a paper that said "Notice to Conditional Permanent Resident Alien." She then congratulated us and wished my wife a safe trip. And we were done.

Total interview time was about 10 minutes.

Thanks to everyone who provided the guidance and direction we needed that made this particular stage in the journey smoother than we expected. On the way home I was telling my wife about the other couples there with their lawyers with them, and told her I was thankful to have found VJ which saved us time and money :)

Now to gather documents for the ROC and prepare for a similar AOS journey for my stepdaughters.

Cheers VJ!

K1 Timeline:

02/28/2014 - I-129F Submitted
04/08/2014 - I-129F NOA2 Received

07/03/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 1 (Result: Sputum Culture)

09/18/2014 - SLEC Medical Appointment 2 (Result: Passed)

10/14/2014 - K1 Visa Interview (Result: Approved)

10/23/2014 - K1 Visa Issued

11/09/2014 - Entered USA (POE: Los Angeles)

01/02/2015 - Wedding Day

AOS Timeline:

03/02/2015 - I-485 Submitted (with I-765 & I-131)

03/13/2015 - I-485 NOA Received (with NOA for I-765 & I-131)

03/30/2015 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

05/12/2015 - I-785 & I-131 Approved

05/20/2015 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received

06/10/2015 - AOS Interview (Result: Approved)

06/18/2015 - Conditional Green Card Received

ROC Timeline:

05/15/2017 - I-751 Submitted 
05/26/2017 - I-751 NOA Received 
06/13/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Completed

07/18/2017 - Extension NOA Received (twelve month extension)
03/05/2018 - I-751 Received by Local Office
04/20/2018 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on Passport, six-month extension)

06/18/2018 - Extension NOA Received (eighteen month extension)

10/29/2019 - Infopass Appointment (Result: I-551 Stamp on new Passport)

11/06/2019 - I-751 Approved

11/14/2019 - Permanent Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Awesome, congrats!!! :dancing:

K-1

August 1, 2014: I-129F packet sent (USPS Priority mail)

August 5, 2014: NOA1 received (email/text)

August 9, 2014: NOA1 hardcopy received/Alien Registration Number changed

October 3, 2014: RFE notice received (email/text)

October 9, 2014: RFE hardcopy received (General question missed on I-129F part 3) *Oops

October 10, 2014: RFE response inquiry sent (USPS Priority mail)

October 15, 2014: RFE response review (USCIS)

October 21, 2014: NOA2 I-129F was approved (email/text)

October 28, 2014: NOA2 hardcopy received

November 13, 2014: NVC received and case number assigned

November 25, 2014: NVChard copy received (case was forwarded to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate)

November 30, 2014: Filled out forms DS-160 online for fiancé (K-1) and step daughter (K-2)

December 3, 2014: Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate received case

December 18, 2014: NOA3 hardcopy received from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico Consulate

December 22, 2014: Paid visa fees online and scheduled ASC Biometrics + Interview

January 20, 2015: Biometrics for fiancé in Guadalajara Jalisco, Mexico

January 22, 2015: Medical exam at Clinica Medica Internacional (Ciudad Juarez, Mexico)

January 26, 2015: Picked up medical results for fiancé (K-1) and step daughter (K-2)

January 27, 2015: Interview APPROVED!!! (Ciudad Juarez, Mexico)

January 30, 2015: CEAC status "Issued"

January 31, 2015: DHL tracking number received via email

February 3, 2015: Passports ready for pickup via email/DHL tracking (DHL Ciudad Juarez, Mexico - Lopez Mateos) POE El Paso, TX

April 11, 2015: MARRIED 

AOS

April 23, 2015: AOS/EAD/AP packet sent USPS Priority mail (K-1/K-2)

May 5, 2015: NOA1 received (email/text)

May 9, 2015: NOA1 hardcopies received (6) - Dated "4/28/15"

May 16, 2015: Biometrics appointment letter received

May 18, 2015: Biometrics completed (early walk-in)

July 10, 2015: EAD/AP approved (K-1/K-2)

August 25, 2015: AOS interview (K-1/K-2) Fresno, CA "APPROVED" 

September 4, 2015: Green Card received

ROC

May 26, 2017: ROC packet sent USPS Priority mail (K-1/K-2)

June 3, 2017: NOA1 received 

June 17, 2017: Biometrics appointment letter received

June 20, 2017: Biometrics completed (early walk-in)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Congrats! Glad they gave you the stamp so she could travel soon. Thanks for sharing!

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based main forum to Progress Reports sub-forum - topic is case status ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.