Jump to content

Regarding I765 question 11

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone!

I got to the US in May 2015 on a K1 visa. Everything is ready to be filed for AOS except form I765.

Question 11 asks if I previously have applied for a work authorization from USCIS. The answer to this is YES. I was a student in the US between 2006 and 2010. I left the US before my student visa expired. During my last semester I applied for a work permit (which was granted), I believe it was called OPT. I never used it though as I could not find work and my visa expired.

I remember receiving a work authorization card. I destroyed it a couple years later because it had expired and the writing on it was starting to fade, also did not want anybody to forge it etc in case of theft. So what documentation am i supposed to attach? Is it enough to write about my situation in a letter?

I called USCIS for help, they all gave different answers. One said get an immigration lawyer....seems ridiculous in my opinion. The other said email USCIS.FOIA@USCIS.DHS.GOV and file form G639 and try to get information about this old work permit.

I am hoping I can simply file the form with a letter stating my case. I've been here for a month now and would like to have everything filed.

Thanks for all the help!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just fill out the form with what information you do have and know. Attach a statement explaining the old card was destroyed. You are applying for a whole new card based on a different category, (c )(9 ), so it is not like you are asking to renew the old anyway. You will most likely be fine that way.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.