megwarr

I-751 deadline approaching and no resolution to court case

4 posts in this topic

Hi all-

I posted about 2 weeks ago about my husband being cited for shoplifting (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/550421-legal-troubleugh/). We have retained the services of an attorney and he seems confident that the charges will be dismissed based on no prior criminal history, etc.

However, the court date has been scheduled for after the deadline for filing the I-751. I realize that in an ideal world I would attach documents and everything else related to this case, including its outcome, but that is not possible here. In my head risking an RFE is better than missing the deadline. But I would really appreciate other advice.

I'm pissed at us for not filing this paperwork ASAP, I'm pissed at my husband for being so dumb, and I'm pissed at the stupid amount of money this will wind up costing (were planning to buy a house later this year which seems impossible based on the money we've bled recently due to this mess). The timing could not be worse.

Can someone please tell me things will be ok and talk me off the edge? I'm normally very calm and level-headed but I am FREAKING OUT.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would file and wait for the RFE

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't think anyone saying anything will change it. Some people will say you will be ok and some will not I would imagine. In the end it isn't that bad, I would be surprised if it mattered. I'm curious though as to how he got caught? When I was in H.S. me and a bunch of friends went on a couple month stealing spree, it's really really hard to get caught unless you are a moron. It's funny until you posted this I really hadn't given it any thought, but never once have I even had a thought to steal something since I got out of high school. I wonder what would make someone older want to do it, when I know I could do it and get away with it and still never even consider it. It's also odd that had your husband racked up thousands of dollars and debt and filed bankruptcy you would have nothing to be worried about because it isn't a crime. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, if you really wanted to sell it at an interview or something he could take a class or something like AA to stop shoplifting. I highly doubt he got caught his first time though, hopefully he has come clean to you.

I don't think anyone saying anything will change it. Some people will say you will be ok and some will not I would imagine. In the end it isn't that bad, I would be surprised if it mattered. I'm curious though as to how he got caught? When I was in H.S. me and a bunch of friends went on a couple month stealing spree, it's really really hard to get caught unless you are a moron. It's funny until you posted this I really hadn't given it any thought, but never once have I even had a thought to steal something since I got out of high school. I wonder what would make someone older want to do it, when I know I could do it and get away with it and still never even consider it. It's also odd that had your husband racked up thousands of dollars and debt and filed bankruptcy you would have nothing to be worried about because it isn't a crime. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, if you really wanted to sell it at an interview or something he could take a class or something like AA to stop shoplifting. I highly doubt he got caught his first time though, hopefully he has come clean to you.

Thanks for your response. I know that no one can guarantee that it will be ok, but I do find it helpful when others affirm that it is not that bad. This is what I thought at first--1st time offense, small value item, etc. I mentioned this in my other post, but my husband has had a MUCH tougher time adjusting than I think either of us thought he would. I think that this was a way for him to feel a little bit in control, as convoluted as that sounds. Plus, we were out & about that day and he forgot his wallet. I don't want to get into too many details, but he has a hobby which I find slightly annoying (in a shake-my-head, roll-my-eyes kind of way), and this item had to do with that hobby. The way he explained it to me is that he didn't want to feel like a kid and burden me by asking to buy it since he forgot his wallet. He wanted to be in control, so he just took it, I guess--he didn't have a better explanation and I don't either. Jokes on him because now this stupid $35 thing is going to cost at least $1000 in lawyer/court/etc fees. Cue the giant eye roll from me!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.