Ethan Liew

HELP!!! K1 Visa - co-sponsor - Bangkok Embassy.

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi Guys,

I have a serious question regarding my K1 visa application. Me and my US citizen fiancé are planning to move to the states.

As my fiancé has lived with me in Bangkok for almost 3 years, he is not qualified to be a sponsor of my K1 Visa. However his father is very happy to be a joint/co-sponsor for our application, and we will live with his parent after we arrive in San Francisco.

Everything went smooth until i heard from various people online that the US Embassy in Bangkok DOES NOT accept co-sponsors... (Please tell me this is not true...)

As per my understanding, they are worried that I might become a “public charge” upon entry to the US and will become dependent on public services such as welfare.

So, what if i myself have a stable job which allows me to work from home and receive approximately 22k annual income, and I have about 20-30 thousand USD in my bank account. I can definitely support myself until i got my green card. Would this be enough?

Edited by Ethan Liew

18 Sep 2012 - First met in Bangkok

01 March 2015 - Decided to move to the States

29 May 2015 - Mailed I129F to CSC from Bangkok to San Francisco

Filed: Timeline

Hi Guys,

I have a serious question regarding my K1 visa application. Me and my US citizen fiancé are planning to move to the states.

As my fiancé has lived with me in Bangkok for almost 3 years, he is not qualified to be a sponsor of my K1 Visa. However his father is very happy to be a joint/co-sponsor for our application, and we will live with his parent after we arrive in San Francisco.

Everything went smooth until i heard from various people online that the US Embassy in Bangkok DOES NOT accept co-sponsors... (Please tell me this is not true...)

As per my understanding, they are worried that I might become a public charge upon entry to the US and will become dependent on public services such as welfare.

So, what if i myself have a stable job which allows me to work from home and receive approximately 22k annual income, and I have about 20-30 thousand USD in my bank account. I can definitely support myself until i got my green card. Would this be enough?

I'm not sure about Bangkok. The only US Embassy I know of is London that allows self-sponsorship. I suggest you to contact the Bangkok Embassy to make sure.

Plenty of CR1/IR1 references involving Joint Sponsors at that Embassy on this site.

You will need a joint sponsor USC or LPR with domocile in the USA - at 125% of your FPL (with corrections if they sponsor others).

OR: Asset test - Multiple of Assets to 125% FPL based on Spouse or Non Spouse

OR: Show your Overseas Job will continue to bring the salary at 125% FPL when you are stateside........

Also its tricky as the 2555 / 2555-EZ un-earns the income and the I-864 then shows the non-earned income for many.

OR: Get a job letter stateside

AND you'll need to have USC show intent to resume domicile which is the annoying part. Buy a cheap car remotely and have someone title it to USC name. Rent a property from someone you know to live in. Have power bill or mobile phone account turned up.

If your resident in Thai for more than 6 month with non-tourist visa, you might want to marry there. you can DCF Bangkok and there are folk getting the CR1 visa in 45-60 days. I-130s approved in 2 -7 days after walk-in. DCF Bangkok can be very fast. Much fast than the K-1 path.

Plenty of CR1/IR1 references involving Joint Sponsors at that Embassy on this site.

You will need a joint sponsor USC or LPR with domocile in the USA - at 125% of your FPL (with corrections if they sponsor others).

OR: Asset test - Multiple of Assets to 125% FPL based on Spouse or Non Spouse

OR: Show your Overseas Job will continue to bring the salary at 125% FPL when you are stateside........

Also its tricky as the 2555 / 2555-EZ un-earns the income and the I-864 then shows the non-earned income for many.

OR: Get a job letter stateside

AND you'll need to have USC show intent to resume domicile which is the annoying part. Buy a cheap car remotely and have someone title it to USC name. Rent a property from someone you know to live in. Have power bill or mobile phone account turned up.

If your resident in Thai for more than 6 month with non-tourist visa, you might want to marry there. you can DCF Bangkok and there are folk getting the CR1 visa in 45-60 days. I-130s approved in 2 -7 days after walk-in. DCF Bangkok can be very fast. Much fast than the K-1 path.

All US Consulates accept joint-sponsors for IR-1/CR-1 (spousal visa).

However, the OP is doing the K1, and not every US Consulate accept joint sponsors for that visa. At the AOS process, USCIS accepts joint sponsors, but first the OP has to get the K1 visa to get to that point.

DCF is a great suggestion. It both saves money and time.

Edited by Mr&MrsJenkins

Timeline

Thanks for the great advice;)

Unfortunately we cannot do DCF because we can't get married in Thailand. We are same sex couple.

Thanks for the great advice;)

Unfortunately we cannot do DCF because we can't get married in Thailand. We are same sex couple.

I understand. All you can do is to find out (by contacting the Bangkok US Embassy directly) whether they allow joint-sponsors or self-sponsoring. The reason why I suggest to contact the Embassy directly is because you will find contradicting and not always reliable information online.

If neither is allowed, then your K1 visa will be denied.

In this case you two could:

1. either travel to a third country (not Thailand and not US) that allows same sex marriage, get married, go back to Bangkok and file for DCF;

2. or you could apply for a B2 (tourist) visa, travel to the US with your fiance, get married, go back to Bangkok and file for DCF.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Mr&MrsJenkins

Timeline

I understand. All you can do is to find out (by contacting the Bangkok US Embassy directly) whether they allow joint-sponsors or self-sponsoring. The reason why I suggest to contact the Embassy directly is because you will find conradicting and not always reliable information online.

In neither is allowed, then your K1 visa will be denied.

In this case you two could:

1. either travel to a third country (not Thailand and not US) that allows same sex marriage, get married, go back to Bangkok and file for DCF;

2. or you could apply for a B2 (tourist) visa, travel to the US with your fiance, get married, go back to Bangkok and file for DCF.

Hope this helps.

Hi Mr & Mrs Jenkins,

I just received a response from the Embassy regarding my inquiry. I think they accept co-sponsor in Bangkok Embassy. However they want me to mail the I-134 forms and other related documents with Package 3. I guess this is to give them more time to review everything :)

Hi Mr & Mrs Jenkins,

I just received a response from the Embassy regarding my inquiry. I think they accept co-sponsor in Bangkok Embassy. However they want me to mail the I-134 forms and other related documents with Package 3. I guess this is to give them more time to review everything :)

It is great to hear that they accept joint sponsors, I'm happy for you.

They probably scrunitize joint-sponsor cases more thoroughly, so make sure you have every document in order. Also, include all the supporting evidence possible for the I-134:

1. the joint-sponsor's paystubs (last 6 months' worth)

2. employment letter from the joint sponsor's employer

3. the joint sponsor's IRS tax return transcripts (or copy of W2s, 1040s, etc) of the past 3 years

I wish you the best of luck!

Edited by Mr&MrsJenkins

Timeline

That's great to hear that they accept joint sponsors, I'm happy for you.

They probably scrunitize joint-sponsor cases more thoroughly, so make sure you have every document in order. Also, include all the supporting evidence possible for the I-134:

1. the joint-sponsor's paystubs (last 6 months' worth)

2. employment letter from the joint sponsor's employer

3. the joint sponsor's IRS tax return transcripts (or copy of W2s, 1040s, etc) for the past 3 years

I wish you the best of luck!

This is so kind of you. i truly appreciated your help ^^

Cheers!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi Mr & Mrs Jenkins,

In most K 1 cases BKK will not allow joint sponsors. This is a good case for A P when all the info is known. I don't mean that is bad but I suggest planning on extra time.

It could be that they have changed their procedures. What did they say that indicates to you that they will accept them now ?

To do a DCF case you would have to marry & live as a legal resident of Thailand for 6 months. Neither will happen in this case.

Edited by Ning

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

In most K 1 cases BKK will not allow joint sponsors. This is a good case for A P when all the info is known. I don't mean that is bad but I suggest planning on extra time.

It could be that they have changed their procedures. What did they say that indicates to you that they will accept them now ?

To do a DCF case you would have to marry & live as a legal resident of Thailand for 6 months. Neither will happen in this case.

Do you know if Bangkok accepts self sponsorship? I have been traveling the last two years and can not show working income for the last tax year. I do on the other hand hand have well over the minumum income in liquid assests.

• 1 year later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Two unanswered questions moved to own new thread in Thailand Regional Forum~

~The last respondent has not been active in over a year~

PItaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.