Matt and Ângela

How helpful is it for sponsor to be at K-1 Interview (Brazil/Rio)?

8 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is addressed on a FAQ on this site somewhere, but I could not find it, so here it goes...

We have our K-1 interview scheduled for June 23rd at the Rio de Janeiro consulate.

We just met with our immigration lawyer, and she says it would be a good idea for me to go down there for the interview if possible. She says that though not really necessary, it would help our chances. For a variety of reasons, it would not be a good time for me to travel, but not impossible.

Our case is super solid -- it breezed through the system, we just filed in early March. Tons of evidence, and no real red flags. From what I have read in the Rio consulate reviews, it seems like things are relatively straightforward, so I hadn't really been thinking about going down there.

On the other hand, if somehow something happened, and she was rejected, and I hadn't gone down, it would be so awful.

What are people's thoughts? Does it make a big difference to have the sponsor there (in particular for Brazil)?

Filed: Timeline

Sorry if this is addressed on a FAQ on this site somewhere, but I could not find it, so here it goes...

We have our K-1 interview scheduled for June 23rd at the Rio de Janeiro consulate.

We just met with our immigration lawyer, and she says it would be a good idea for me to go down there for the interview if possible. She says that though not really necessary, it would help our chances. For a variety of reasons, it would not be a good time for me to travel, but not impossible.

Our case is super solid -- it breezed through the system, we just filed in early March. Tons of evidence, and no real red flags. From what I have read in the Rio consulate reviews, it seems like things are relatively straightforward, so I hadn't really been thinking about going down there.

On the other hand, if somehow something happened, and she was rejected, and I hadn't gone down, it would be so awful.

What are people's thoughts? Does it make a big difference to have the sponsor there (in particular for Brazil)?

Well, based on your timeline your I-129F petition was approved in 20 days. At California Service Center it is totally normal, so it is not a "sign". It is totally up to you whether you decide to attend her interview or not. Brazil is not a number one high fraud country but it is not exactly low fraud either.

You say you are sure that your relationship doesn't have any red flag whatsoever and you have tons of evidence of ongoing bonafide relationship. If your fiancee was from a country in the European Union, Canada, Australia, New Zealand (meaning from a super low fraud country) I would say it is perfectly safe for you to not to go. However in your case I say it is better to be safe than sorry. The interview will might be easy since most reviews are positive, but there is no guarantee.

Good luck!

Edited by YouAndMeForever

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Country-specific thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Mexico/Latin/South America regional subforum. ***

[Moderator hat off]

I wouldn't take chances with a visa interview in ANY Central or South American country.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

If it's not a good time to travel I wouldn't bother. Rio is a very easy Embassy and generally when the petitioner is there they don't even ask anything to him/her, all the questions should be directed to the beneficiary. Average 5 minutes interview with the same questions: When/where did you guys meet, how many times the petitioner has been in Brazil and who proposed to who. Try to read some reviews to feel a little bit more comfortable about not attending. You will see people with what could be considered as red flags who got approved easily (E.g: More than 20 years age difference, previous deportation issues, long time no seeing and etc..). I was told that IF they have doubts about your case that you request a second interview with the petitioner (That's what the Doctor in Rio told me and he worked for more than 15 years inside the Embassy, I am not sure if that's how it works).

Good luck.

Well I ended up buying a ticket yesterday -- not a great time for me to travel (leaving on the Friday of the second week of a new job I am starting), but it works. At least the ticket was fairly cheap. Apparently it is the off season, though I have no idea why -- June weather in Rio looks perfect to me (low 80's and no rain). And we haven't seen each other since February, so it will be great to spend a long weekend together.

That's interesting that they would request a second interview with the petitioner. From what our lawyer told us, if she got rejected our only real option was to get married down there, then start all over with the visa for bringing in a wife, which is even longer and more complicated. Which is why we did not want to take any chances at all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

we did not want to take any chances at all.

Very wise thinking.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well I ended up buying a ticket yesterday -- not a great time for me to travel (leaving on the Friday of the second week of a new job I am starting), but it works. At least the ticket was fairly cheap. Apparently it is the off season, though I have no idea why -- June weather in Rio looks perfect to me (low 80's and no rain). And we haven't seen each other since February, so it will be great to spend a long weekend together.

That's interesting that they would request a second interview with the petitioner. From what our lawyer told us, if she got rejected our only real option was to get married down there, then start all over with the visa for bringing in a wife, which is even longer and more complicated. Which is why we did not want to take any chances at all.

Sorry but your Lawyer is not fully right because getting married doesn't mean approval. Well, I am from Rio and June is not so perfect for us there, it can be a little bit chilly (Chilly for me means a cool weather for you, lol) for us and it does rain, but I am sure the weather will be okay.

And depending on the denial it's something that people can work out, it doesn't mean you have no other options. How many cases we see here that they got denied at first and then later on they were approved (OF COURSE it depends on each case).

As I mentioned before I am not sure about this second interview but that's what the Doctor told me. Y'all can ask the same to the doctor if the exams will be taken in Rio!! The day that I had my interview we are a group of 6 or 8 K1s, everybody approved, same questions to everybody and less than 5 min interview. It's always good listening to people who has gone thru the experience in Rio because each country is different and in other places it does make a difference having the petitioner or it's even a MUST (E.g: DR). But since it's done now you will be happy to enjoy time together and it's good to help your beneficiary with the anxiety!! :) To be honest I wanted my now husband to be with me bc I was so nervous and he keeps me at ease but he was underways and there I was by myself for my 3 minutes interview and now I am here married! :)

Good luck!

Sorry but your Lawyer is not fully right because getting married doesn't mean approval. Well, I am from Rio and June is not so perfect for us there, it can be a little bit chilly (Chilly for me means a cool weather for you, lol) for us and it does rain, but I am sure the weather will be okay.

She was saying that if we got denied for the K-1, there really is no point in trying to appeal, and our best bet at that point would be to try for a spouse visa. But she did not say that was guaranteed either.

Anyway, it should all be moot -- it is really hard to see why they would deny us. Especially with me there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.