We Keep Receipts

Hundreds expected outside Phoenix mosque at Mohammed cartoon contest

142 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

For folks who serve in the Corps, it is.

Out of the 4 branches of service( Coast Guard is a part of the Dept of Transportation), everyone who has an idea about our military services knows instinctively that the Marine Corps is by far the most grueling of all of them. This is why there's a more sense of fellowship between most currently and retired/discharged Marines. Doing 20 years in any branch of service is no small feat, but 20 years Marine is something else.

So what's the prevailing view of this cartoon contest guy? As a racist bully, is he worthy of the title?

Timeline

And here I thought joining the military was all about service to the country. Silly me...

I'll be honest, that's an idea I find very uncomfortable. I'm not sure any of the conflicts since WW2 fit the definition of serving one's country. Not knocking the people in the military, but I just dont see how Iraq or Afghanistan did anything positive for the country.

Indeed I do. Unfortunately, you can't claim the same.

And here I thought joining the military was all about service to the country. Silly me...

Oh but it is. No one can argue about that. But as much as I would love to say all branches of service are equal, I can't. Each one is equally important, but the Marine Corps requires a bit more digging within one's self to make it through. Esp when you factor things in like Quality of life, assignments, training, combat awareness, education, etc.

Kind of like the difference between a sailor and a Navy Seal.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I'll be honest, that's an idea I find very uncomfortable. I'm not sure any of the conflicts since WW2 fit the definition of serving one's country. Not knocking the people in the military, but I just dont see how Iraq or Afghanistan did anything positive for the country.

I don't disagree that the powers to be have madly misused the armed services of their respective countries - especially those around here. But I do believe that many - in fact, most - of those that join the armed forces - whichever branch - do so to serve their country.

Indeed I do. Unfortunately, you can't claim the same.

Oh but it is. No one can argue about that. But as much as I would love to say all branches of service are equal, I can't. Each one is equally important, but the Marine Corps requires a bit more digging within one's self to make it through. Esp when you factor things in like Quality of life, assignments, training, combat awareness, education, etc.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Timeline

I don't disagree that the powers to be have madly misused the armed services of their respective countries - especially those around here. But I do believe that many - in fact, most - of those that join the armed forces - whichever branch - do so to serve their country.

I get how that works in theory (by theory I mean in the sense of say religion) but not in practical terms. Fighting dirty wars and being a puppet of a corrupt foreign policy doesn't serve the interests of average people. At least not in any way that is readily apparent. Edited by Venkman

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As an American I feel better knowing Bin Laden isn't jacking any more planes and sending them this way.

Is it over, probably not.

War seems to keep economies going.

As far as cartoons, they are what they are.

Like Saturday night live skits, it's called humor.

Some can deal with it, some can't.

Filed: Timeline

I know that some places in the armed services are more comfortable than others. No doubt about it. I don't want to take away from what it takes to be a Marine, to be a Navy Seal, to be an Army Ranger. That's tough stuff, no doubt. But these guys don't operate in a vacuum and it takes the larger force to make them as effective as they are.

As an American I feel better knowing Bin Laden isn't jacking any more planes and sending them this way.

I think most of us feel better. But it wasn't the Marines that took him out, was it?

So what's the prevailing view of this cartoon contest guy? As a racist bully, is he worthy of the title?

He served his country and has been honorable discharged from the the Marine Corps. If that's true, he can still be called a Marine. He's earned that much.

Don't care too much for his views, but he has a right to have them, no matter how messed up they are...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I know that some places in the armed services are more comfortable than others. No doubt about it. I don't want to take away from what it takes to be a Marine, to be a Navy Seal, to be an Army Ranger. That's tough stuff, no doubt. But these guys don't operate in a vacuum and it takes the larger force to make them as effective as they are.

I think most of us feel better. But it wasn't the Marines that took him out, was it?

Truth.

Not really. SNL did the skit, and no one was shot up or threatened. I'd go as far to say it's how you go about it. This isn't humor. These are people who have a problem with Islam and are going out of their way to be disrespectful towards Muslims.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Yes, because joining the Air Force obviously is just an occupation while joining the Marines is so much more. :rolleyes:

Actually that's fairly accurate. Like the jar head said, if we got to explain it you would probably not ever get it

Agreed

Navy Seals made it happen.

The Army had to get them there

Agreed

Navy Seals made it happen.

The Army had to get them there