ChicagoSarah

Baby and Cultural Differences?

4 posts in this topic

My hope is to keep this cultural...not medical/personal, etc...

We're 25 weeks with our first child. I grew up in the Midwest and my husband grew up in London. Our child has been less than cooperative with our ultrasounds in regards to gender reveal, so we don't know and have decided to not try and find out (baby wins!).

Since we don't know for sure, we started talking last night. How did other UK ex-pat couples address cultural differences with having a baby? Something like male circumcision is the norm in America but clearly not the norm in the UK/Europe. So (medical/personal opinions aside), how did people approach topics like this that each culture has a different norm?

And what other quirky/cultural differences came up when you guys had babies of your own? I'm sure there will be things (even the name of some items) that we'll encounter along the way!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

We are American and Mexican, so not exactly in the UK Europe demographic but....

What we did with our baby is just to raise it like we wanted and not worry too much about cultural differences. Or our cultures.. I suppose subconsciously perhaps, like the pressure to dress our kid in a million layers even though it is 25c here in January; although we resisted and made some compromises. Travelling home from the hospital in a car seat is not very common and was not even questioned when we left the hospital, but we did it anyway because we wanted our baby to be safe. Hmmm... we speak to our son in both languages, sometimes two languages in one sentence, just whatever comes naturally.

I suppose what I mean is, think about what you two want to do, and not feel too pressured to follow the "norm" all of the time. Sometimes the norm is wrong even though everyone does it.

It seems to be uncommon for kids in my neighborhood to go to bed anytime before 11 pm, even the little ones. That would be the norm. Yet, I know my child needs sleep and a schedule so we have a set bedtime even when all of the other 1.5 year olds are still out playing and crying from exhaustion. Our son is sleeping soundly because he is tired and it is whats best for him.

We are also less paranoid about germs, maybe an American idea, I do not know as I have not lived there in over 5 years. Kids will get sick, life goes on, go out and play and explore the world.. Anyway just our thoughts..

Congrats on having the baby! If you are in the UK dont forget to file for your CRBA!

Married December 29, 2012
CRBA for Son April 2014
I-130 Filed in Mexico City March 12, 2015
I-130 approved and transfered to Ciudad Juarez March 23, 2015.
Emailed consulate asking for Status at beginning of April.

April 24, emailed back saying case was ready for interview on March 31.

They emailed us the instructions to make the interview appointment when we were ready.

Interview in July

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

You can always let your kid decide for himself whether or not he (if indeed a he it is) wants to be circumcised after he is an adult.

07/14/2012: Eloped in Texas Hill Country
08/11/2012: Mailed I-130, I-485, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
08/13/2012: Package received by Chicago Lockbox
08/14/2012: Priority Date
08/17/2012: Notice of receipt sent
08/21/2012: Biometrics appointment notice sent
08/27/2012: Walk-in biometrics completed
09/19/2012: Interview scheduled for October 26
10/24/2012: EAD production ordered
10/26/2012: Interview in San Antonio. AOS approved!
11/5/2012: USCIS claims green card delivered, nothing in mailbox.
12/5/2012: Service request filed for non-delivered green card.
12/7/2012: Service request replied to (but not delivered).
1/4/2013: Filed I-90, paid another $450
1/24/2013: Biometrics again...
4/1/2013: First Green Card from November finally arrived...

4/22/2013: Replacement Green Card arrived.

8/9/2014: Filed I-751

8/14/2014: Received NOA for I-751

3/12/2015: ROC Approved!

7/18/2016: Sent in N-400 to Texas lockbox

7/21/2016: N-400 delivered

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Circumcision is not nearly as common these days as parents are led to believe. It's getting close to 50/50. We have a boy on the way and circumcision isn't covered by medicaid in 17 states or OHIP (Ontario where I'm from).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.