Jump to content

getting health insurance for mom and dad

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife is from the Philippines and has been here for a few years. We're at the point of contemplating bringing her Mom and Dad to the US to live with us. I'm researching the costs of health insurance for them as this would be a major concern of ours since they are getting in their 60's. From what I've researched it looks like newly arrived green card holders would qualify for Obamacare but not Medicare. My question is concerning the subsidies. Since premiums for Obamacare are not cheap we're hoping they could qualify for the subsidies. Does anyone know if they look at myself or my wife's income for calculating the subsidies since they will be living with us or do they only look at the green card holder's income? If they only looked at my their incomes I'm sure they could get subsidies since they won't be working. I'm just not sure if the government will consider them dependents since they will be living with us and will therefore look at our income also??

Thanks for anyone's info or experience in this situation.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The subsidies are calculated on the applicant's income. Proof of income is required by submitting a copy of your tax return. Be aware there is a minimum threshold(about $23,000 or so), below which the applicant is automatically referred to the state's welfare medical insurance. Obviously, if the parents apply with no job and no income that's where they would end up. Listing them as dependents on your tax return would make them eligible for your insurance, with any subsidies based on your income. And the more income you have the less subsidies you get.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

A subject that gets raised every now and then questions asked, answers given but nobody comes back and says what they have done.

Some basics:

Varies by State and you do not say which one you are in, I know about CO so I will comment from that perspective.

I presume they will be living off their Pensions so that will be what matters from a US perspective.

You have to have a minim level of income, for one person it is about $16,000, otherwise you get kicked out of the Exchange to Medicaid. But you need to have been a LPR for 5 years to get Medicaid.

Premiums in the Exchange for someone 60 vary between $400 ish and $1200 ish, Bronze to Platinum. I think the max credit is c $400.

Medicare they can buy into when they get of age but that is very expensive.

Never understood the US rules on dependents for tax purposes But lets say that was possible, the level of credit would be dependent on your income.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.