GoingBlue

Biometrics early walk-ins

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I see quite a few people have done an early walk-in for biometrics.

I assume this is just to expedite the overall process, so i intend to go in for my biometrics tomorrow. The date on the letter is June 2nd.

I have had biometrics done at that office in 2011 for a UK visit visa, so i know how the process itself is like.

However, is there anything to know/do/not do, in order to avoid any hiccup specifically with an early walk-in?

Edited by GoingBlue

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I see quite a few people have done an early walk-in for biometrics.

I assume this is just to expedite the overall process, so i intend to go in for my biometrics tomorrow. The date on the letter is June 2nd.

I have had biometrics done at that office in 2011 for a UK visit visa, so i know how the process itself is like.

However, is there anything to know/do/not do, in order to avoid any hiccup specifically with an early walk-in?

Some offices allow it and others don't. Some require evidence of travel or some other reason why you can't make your original appointment, but some don't.

People do walk-ins because of scheduling conflicts or because they think it'll speed up the process. It's not clear how helpful this actually is. For instance if I apply June 1st and you apply June 2nd and we get appointments for exactly a month after we apply (July 1st and 2nd) but you go in two weeks early, it's not clear what our order in line is now... me because my priority date is sooner or you because you completed an additional step sooner. Looking the data seems to show that it's pretty unpredictable.

So it's not clear if doing an early walk-in will speed things up. Just basing this on the timelines I've looked at, you could end up saving yourself anywhere between no time to two weeks... so it depends on how far the office is; if it's a 2 hour drive, that doesn't seem like enough if an incentive to risk being turned away for coming in on the wrong day.

The day you apply, the day you do your bio, the day your bio was actually scheduled, the length of the background check, and how busy your office is will all contribute to the length of the process.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Some offices allow it and others don't. Some require evidence of travel or some other reason why you can't make your original appointment, but some don't.

People do walk-ins because of scheduling conflicts or because they think it'll speed up the process. It's not clear how helpful this actually is. For instance if I apply June 1st and you apply June 2nd and we get appointments for exactly a month after we apply (July 1st and 2nd) but you go in two weeks early, it's not clear what our order in line is now... me because my priority date is sooner or you because you completed an additional step sooner. Looking the data seems to show that it's pretty unpredictable.

So it's not clear if doing an early walk-in will speed things up. Just basing this on the timelines I've looked at, you could end up saving yourself anywhere between no time to two weeks... so it depends on how far the office is; if it's a 2 hour drive, that doesn't seem like enough if an incentive to risk being turned away for coming in on the wrong day.

The day you apply, the day you do your bio, the day your bio was actually scheduled, the length of the background check, and how busy your office is will all contribute to the length of the process.

Thanks for your response. I can imagine. However, i don't have much to lose really. The office is like 4-5 miles away, and only takes a few minutes to get there, so if i get turned away, it wouldn't be a big deal.

It is a Boston location, and someone posted they did an early walk-in there about a week ago, so I know they are not against it as a matter of policy. Other circumstances might apply, but i doubt it.

I have the time tomorrow, so I'll give it a shot. Whether or not it expedites the process - at least it'll be one less thing on my plate.

I went in today, and did the biometrics. No one mentioned anything about being early for the appointment.

I was in and out of there in 30 minutes or less. :)

The Portland St. Application Support Center is really good. My wife had good experiences there all 3 times she had her biometrics done. We did a walk in 2 of those times and had no problem at all. The people there all seem to be immigrants so they know what the process is like. They were the friendliest of any USCIS or Consulate personnel that we encountered throughout the process. I wish everyone was like these Boston employees. They were human, not robots.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

The Portland St. Application Support Center is really good. My wife had good experiences there all 3 times she had her biometrics done. We did a walk in 2 of those times and had no problem at all. The people there all seem to be immigrants so they know what the process is like. They were the friendliest of any USCIS or Consulate personnel that we encountered throughout the process. I wish everyone was like these Boston employees. They were human, not robots.

Yeah, I agree. This was my second time in there, and they were nice both times.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.