DAAG

which name to use on plane ticket for perm resident travel

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife came over from the Philippines on k1 visa as my fiancé, married me, in 2011, and has advanced all the way to 10 year green card holder, without ever departing the USA. we were intending to get her citizenship before she departs, to avoid all hassles, but her mother's health has made it necessary for her to return to mom's side for a visit, possibly 4 or 5 months in length. all her ID's are in her married name, state, retired military dependent, social security card, USAA, And other memberships she has as a result of our marriage, her job everything. When she went to renew her Philippine passport, they wouldn't let me in the building to make sure all went well and to look after her interests. in that closed session with me kept outside, the building, the consulate officer said they couldn't change her name on the passport and must renew it in her maiden name, because the Philippines doesn't recognize the name change in the USA due to marriage. This created an unnecessary dilemma for us when it came time to travel.

My first question is, since she must travel immediately, which name should I buy her ticket in? her maiden name to match the passport and birth certificate, or her married name to match reality and all her ID's? She does have her marriage certificate as well, to bridge the gap between maiden and married name.

I had to buy her a one way ticket because she's not certain just exactly how long she needs to stay with her mom, just yet, before I fly over and bring her back. The CEO of her company has told her she still has a job to return to when she gets back here, and we don't plan for her to be there beyond say 5 1/2 months. So the only problem as I see it, is the name game, even though, admittedly I was a little concerned about buying only a one way ticket, only because I'd heard USCIS uses that as one of the criteria to determine I she intends to come back. I believe we have an overwhelming preponderance of evidence to prove to anyone that my wife intends to come back home, from her lack of departures in 4 years, to having two joint bank accounts, her keeping her job in spite how long her mom needs her to visit, being my military dependent, USAA and AARP memberships with me, joint tax returns for 4 years and so on.

I just need to know #1. Which name I should have used on the ticket, that is to say is it okay that I bought it in her maiden name, as the window to buy it was closing, considering I was following the consulate officers instructions to my wife, #2. If simply buying a one way ticket, for reasonable reason, can cause any sort of problems, and finally, #3. Will there be any problem with her having her maiden name on her ticket at any point, departing the USA, entering the Philippines, exiting the Philippines, or reentering the USA on her return home? Thank you so much in advance to anyone who knows the correct answer to this dilemma brought about by someone simply not being willing to accept that its normal for a woman to take her husband's last name at marriage in the USA just as it is in the Philippines.

Travel = name in her passport

Return to the US = she needs to show her passport and her green card and have her marriage certificate handy as proof of name change.

As far as I know, for PI folks to get their names changed in their passports they need to report the marriage to the consulate before they can do that.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Thank you so much for your quick response, milimelo. If you're certain passport name is correct, and you seem so, then I can relax a bit.

It scared me, cause we were in a time crunch to get a ticket, and prior to that time, I had never considered that using her maiden name to buy a ticket would be correct, or even come up, since previously we had planned to finish her naturalization process before her departure, which would have made everything more clear cut.

So, then, I assume all should be well using her maiden name on ticket returning home to USA as well, after her/our trip to the Philippines. I guess I'd better press on with paying extra baggage fees online and making sure everything else is set to go well on her trip over. I fear two large checked bags and a carry on, on a small plane to a tar strip in the jungle, on her parents home island, may not be easy, as I've always traveled light on last leg of such trips, but had to downsize my luggage at that point, in addition to paying excess baggage fees as well, even though I was carrying much less than my wife does, to begin with. Thank you again.

Timeline

I assume, also, that getting my wife's name changed on her Philippine passport will be a simple, 'tho, perhaps costly, process, once she's back here at home, with me, in the USA, just incase she should need to go again before her naturalization process is completed.

Timeline

Another question related to my first post, on travel, for my wife just occurred to me. When a Philippine citizen, with Philippine passport and 10 year US green card based on marriage to US Citizen, travels to Philippines for a visit, are they ok traveling through Hong Kong, and most other countries with noting additional, just like US Citizens? I guess I'm just tying to think of any possible problems and solutions for same that my wife might encounter, because with her Metro PCS phone, once she departed the US coast its kind of like when a space ship goes on the far side of the Moon, no communication till she reaches her home town in the Philippines and can use her moms phone which I set up for unlimited calling back and forth to us here in the USA.

I was trying to set my wife up with a means of calling me and possibly her mom and friends in the Philippines while en route, before she left, but she said no its ok. I know from experience it'd be a lot easier for her if I had. But she just wanted to spend more time together before heading to her moms place on the other side of the world and has little tolerance for interruptions in he plans, no matter how important those interruptions may be. while I applaud her reasons for that decision, I also know from experience, "resistance is futile." I still wish Id spent at least enough time getting her phone ready to work en route. I did buy her an unlocked phone she can pick up a sim card for once she reaches the Philippines. but being a Flipina she used the battery operated emergency charger I sent along to charge her camera for selfies, leaving nothing for her phones.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.