5 posts in this topic

My wife is applying for naturalization through the N400 form/application. Everything went well on the application; she was scheduled for her interview; which she attended. She was given the reading, writing and knowledge tests and passed them without any problem. However.... The interviewer said that he could not approve the N400 application because of past due taxes on my part. I am on an installment payment plan and am current on the payments. However, I neglected to include the Injured Spouse tax form in the application packet. He said that I needed a statement from the IRS stating that I am on a payment plan and that I am in "good standing" on the plan. He also said that any transcripts I would submit (Tax return or account transcripts) had to have a stamp from the IRS showing it was official and genuine. Thus is the problem. When I went to the IRS to get the statement, the IRS official said he could not do any of that... that such was against IRS policy. He said that the Department of Homeland Security and USCIS knows about that but keeps asking for such things. Therefore, my wifes' application may be denied because one agency doesn't want to do what is needed by another.

Does anyone know how to deal with this situation? We have a 4 week deadline to get these documents to the interviewer...

Thanks in Advance!

Bill and Vivian

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

The only recourse i guess is to seek assistance from an expert immigrant lawyer.

N-400 process

03/03/16 Submitted N-400 application and docs
03/09/16 USCIS ackn rcpt (txt, email, and NOA1) and chk cashed
03/29/16 Biometrics (walked in - orig date 04/05/16)
04/04/16 In Line for an Interview (txt, email, and checked case status)

05/16/16 Scheduled for an Interview (Case Status Online)

05/20/16 Received I/L
06/24/16 Interview date (PASSED)
07/20/16 Oath-taking at LACC ( I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!)

Lawyer can't do anything. All you need to do is to provide an official tax letter stating your payment plans, pretty straightforward. IRS will be able to provide you that, go to your local irs and talk to an agent, they will help you out.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Please read my post. I have went to the IRS. The agent there refused to give me ANYTHING like a statement, letter, or even a stamp indicating that the transcripts he gave me were genuine.

Then you need to request to talk to a supervisor, I don't know any agency in the US being unreasonable for official statements, go to another IRS or talk on phone with help line.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.