jgcp20

Moving Stateside - Employment Logistics & Timing

4 posts in this topic

Good evening folks! I am in need of some guidance if you could assist. I am extremely pleased/relieved to report that after only a 9 month wait, last week I collected my CR1 visa. According to my visa I have until the end of September this year to enter the USA. To give some context – I currently reside in London and my wife (a US Citizen) in New York – and we’ve been doing the long distance transaltantic thing for almost 3 years now, so we’re both looking forward to finally ending up on the same side of the Pond together soon. I am trying to plan my move Stateside and naturally want things to go as smoothly as possible, ideally without becoming unemployed. At present, I still have my job in London and my boss has said that he is looking to transfer me to our US office at the end of this year – but herein lies my dilemma – I have to enter the USA by 30th September, but might not be transferred until end of Dec… does anyone know how much leniency there is in this process? Ie. If I enter the US before 30th September (I am aware that I have to do this!) can I then return to the UK for a short period (2-3 months) to tidy up loose ends – housing, jobs etc? Otherwise, if I don’t take a transfer with my current employer, and instead I look for a new position in the USA, I may have to fly over for interviews etc. - does this mean I would have to quit my current job and move to the US without a role, or can I stay employed in London (for a short period) while I find something Stateside? Would be great to hear of anyone’s first hand experience of this?

Apologises for the rather wordy explanation, and thank you in advance!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Once you enter the US on your CR-1 visa, it will auto!atically be a green card holder. Your visa will be endorsed and serve as your temporary green card valid for one year.

You must enter before your visa expires.

Once you have the temporary green card, you can leave and enter without any problem as you planned.

You can continue to work in London. However, as a green card holder, you will need to report this income on your US tax return. The US will tax you on your worldwide income regardless of where you earn it base on your green card status (US citizens are taxed the same way.) This differs significantly from most of the world where the money is only taxed where it's earned. You will not be double taxed. You will get a credit for taxes paid in the UK.

Best of luck

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Quite normal for people to go back and tidy up loose ends.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.