Jump to content

Moving Stateside - Employment Logistics & Timing

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Good evening folks! I am in need of some guidance if you could assist. I am extremely pleased/relieved to report that after only a 9 month wait, last week I collected my CR1 visa. According to my visa I have until the end of September this year to enter the USA. To give some context – I currently reside in London and my wife (a US Citizen) in New York – and we’ve been doing the long distance transaltantic thing for almost 3 years now, so we’re both looking forward to finally ending up on the same side of the Pond together soon. I am trying to plan my move Stateside and naturally want things to go as smoothly as possible, ideally without becoming unemployed. At present, I still have my job in London and my boss has said that he is looking to transfer me to our US office at the end of this year – but herein lies my dilemma – I have to enter the USA by 30th September, but might not be transferred until end of Dec… does anyone know how much leniency there is in this process? Ie. If I enter the US before 30th September (I am aware that I have to do this!) can I then return to the UK for a short period (2-3 months) to tidy up loose ends – housing, jobs etc? Otherwise, if I don’t take a transfer with my current employer, and instead I look for a new position in the USA, I may have to fly over for interviews etc. - does this mean I would have to quit my current job and move to the US without a role, or can I stay employed in London (for a short period) while I find something Stateside? Would be great to hear of anyone’s first hand experience of this?

Apologises for the rather wordy explanation, and thank you in advance!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Once you enter the US on your CR-1 visa, it will auto!atically be a green card holder. Your visa will be endorsed and serve as your temporary green card valid for one year.

You must enter before your visa expires.

Once you have the temporary green card, you can leave and enter without any problem as you planned.

You can continue to work in London. However, as a green card holder, you will need to report this income on your US tax return. The US will tax you on your worldwide income regardless of where you earn it base on your green card status (US citizens are taxed the same way.) This differs significantly from most of the world where the money is only taxed where it's earned. You will not be double taxed. You will get a credit for taxes paid in the UK.

Best of luck

Edited by aaron2020

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite normal for people to go back and tidy up loose ends.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.