AbbeyRoad3057

I-864 Joint Sponsor Questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

I am a US citizen and my husband (a UK citizen) and I are beginning the process to apply to go back to the US.

Brief background - We were married in the US in November 2014 while he was working there on a J-1 Visa. Prior to moving to the UK in March I had received a UK spousal visa allowing me to work and stay in the UK for up to 27 months. Circumstances have changed and we are looking to go back.

We will be filing a DCF I-130 form. Neither of us currently have jobs lined up in the US (I am waiting until closer to our moving date to apply), so my dad will be using his income to sponsor us. We have begun the I-864 form, but I am a little confused filling out the "Part 5, Sponsor's Household Size". It will be my parents, myself, and my husband living in the house. There is an option for my dad, my mom, and my husband; but what option do I choose for myself? I am not a dependent, but I do not know what other option I would choose to show that there will be 4 of us in the house.

Also, do I need to fill out an I-864 form, as well, if my dad's income is enough to cover the %125 above poverty level for the 4 of us?

Finally (and I apologize for all of the questions!), I still have my open checking account in the US and my husband also has his US savings and checking account still open. Should we fill out a form indicating that or should we bring our bank statements to the interview? We just want to make sure we can prove that we will not need any government funds.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi! Im in a similar situation. My husband is a U.S. Citizen and I'm argentine. He lives with me in Argentina. We are moving back to USA.

Our case has just been completed ?.

My mother in law is our Joint Sponsor. Both her and my husband filled the I-864. My husband can't meet the minimum required for the three of us ( we have a little boy) so she is helping us.

In your dad's I-864 he only is sponsoring your husband so the household size should be 2. Which

means he will be financially responsible for your husband to the government.

You as the petitioner have to send the I- 864 as a sponsor as well, showing the information of your current employment in UK and Irs tax returns. In the I-864 there is a box where you can supplement your income with your assets. Maybe you can get the minimum with that.

One thing that is important in your I-864 is the sponsor's domicile. Coz I'm assuming you have been living with your husband in the UK, I recommend you search for documents and things to prove that you went to live in UK temporarily.

If you think I can help you in any way, just let me know. ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

If your father is married then it will not just be two for the household it would be 3 him the wife and your spouse . And yes the petitioner always has to fill out a i864 even if they are unemployed, etc.

Hi there,

I am a US citizen and my husband (a UK citizen) and I are beginning the process to apply to go back to the US.

Brief background - We were married in the US in November 2014 while he was working there on a J-1 Visa. Prior to moving to the UK in March I had received a UK spousal visa allowing me to work and stay in the UK for up to 27 months. Circumstances have changed and we are looking to go back.

We will be filing a DCF I-130 form. Neither of us currently have jobs lined up in the US (I am waiting until closer to our moving date to apply), so my dad will be using his income to sponsor us. We have begun the I-864 form, but I am a little confused filling out the "Part 5, Sponsor's Household Size". It will be my parents, myself, and my husband living in the house. There is an option for my dad, my mom, and my husband; but what option do I choose for myself? I am not a dependent, but I do not know what other option I would choose to show that there will be 4 of us in the house.

Also, do I need to fill out an I-864 form, as well, if my dad's income is enough to cover the %125 above poverty level for the 4 of us?

Finally (and I apologize for all of the questions!), I still have my open checking account in the US and my husband also has his US savings and checking account still open. Should we fill out a form indicating that or should we bring our bank statements to the interview? We just want to make sure we can prove that we will not need any government funds.

Thanks in advance for your help!

hello AbbeyRoad3057, here is the deal for that.

You, being the primary sponsor of your husband NEED to fill up I-864 affidavit. In that form you can include all the assets like your US savings and checking account since you just said the you are unemployed. Since you don't have income in US, if you think that your asset is ENOUGH (the difference between your income and poverty threshold multiplied by 5) then, you don't need a joint sponsor (your dad)

if your asset is not enough to cover the Poverty Threshold, then you need a Joint Sponsor or your Dads income. Alright, Your Dad needs to fill out his own I-864 form. If your Mom is his dependent on filing tax return or they jointly file tax return. Then your Dads "part 5, Sponsor's Household size is only 3. (your dad, mom and your husband). Meaning, he is sponsoring your husband to enter US. That doesn't include you. now, if your Dad jointly files tax return with your mom. Then, your mom will fill up her own I-864A form.

YOU AS WIFE= I-864

DAD= I-864

MOM= I-864 A

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.