GrayL

Timeline + Filing Recommendations

6 posts in this topic

Hi Good People of VisaJourney,

Well the final leg of my journey is almost upon me and I have a question.

I am applicable for filing for naturalization on July 24th this year. However I already have a vacation booked for my wife and I to (finally) get back to Australia (my wife's first time, my first time since I moved here in 2011)! We are going to be in Australia for the most part of November.

I was wondering what other people's recommendations are. I'm assuming tests+oath ceremonies wouldn't happen until 2016, well after we come back. And based on previous applications, bio-metrics would probably happen sooner than November.. but I'm not 100% sure.

To summarize:
Applicable for Naturalization July 24, 2015.

Vacation to Australia November 8-26, 2015.

Filing location: CSC.

Local Office: Helena, MT (EXTREMELY quiet office).

Can bio/tests/oath ceremonies be rescheduled in these circumstances?

I don't particularly want to wait. I am anxious and excited for my journey to be done and dusted after 5 years (as we all).. there's that huge part of me that has conform in the security that citizenship brings. My job will allow me to work on more projects that are currently restricted to USC's so there's a real benefit from that too.

That being said I don't want to apply and have it be this awful final step of rescheduling and having the drama that goes with that. I want it to be as smooth sailing as possible.

Interested to know your thoughts, sorry for being long winded, as I always am.

Good day to you.

GrayL

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

From experience you never know, they could take ages with your application or it could be done as quickly and completed within 3 months. Mine entire time was 7 months from start to finish, other people in my group complete the entire process in 3 months.

I see feb filers who are citizens already (so 3 months again).

I guess if you are on your vacation you would just have to reschedule, not that much of an issue if you are filing based on 5 years.

Good luck to you, Enjoy your vacation.

I guess if you are on your vacation you would just have to reschedule, not that much of an issue if you are filing based on 5 years.

Thanks for the reply jimmypesto. So rescheduling bio/test/oath is not a big deal? if the ducks happened to align in November? I have never needed to reschedule a single appointment in the past so have no experience with that.

NB: I'm based on 3 years after being married to the same USC the entire time.

Thanks again!

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

USCIS shows a processing time of 5 month for this office. Biometrics are not a problem anyway, they schedule it actually pretty fast. Interview might interfere with your trip.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Rescheduling an interview or an oath ceremony should be a straight-forward process, but that's not always the case.

Some people reschedule with no trouble at all and end up with a new appointment 1 or 2 months later. Some people face complications as their rescheduling requests are not processed correctly, which causes delays of several months.

Speaking for myself, I would not reschedule a USCIS appointment unless there was an emergency. I would either wait until late November to apply or I would apply in July and be prepared to reschedule my vacation in the event of a conflict.

Again, rescheduling appointments is certainly possible.

You've expressed a desire to be naturalized quickly, but you haven't said that there's an urgent need. If there is a family member you need to sponsor urgently or if there's a job offer that will be gone in 6 months, then you may want to apply in July. if not, then there's no harm in waiting until November. I'd enjoy my vacation a lot more if I wasn't worrying about interview letters.

Of course, there's a chance that you could apply in July and be all done by your vacation.

It's a very subjective matter so you need to do what you're most at ease with... if you're the type of person who worries a lot and stresses when you don't get regular updates, then don't apply until November. If you're going to be relaxed about the process and don't mind possible rescheduling delays, then go ahead and apply.

Remember that if you apply in November you'll be setting yourself back by 4 months, which is probably longer than any rescheduling delays you'll face. So it's a choice between being naturalized as soon as possible or minimizing possible stress.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Rescheduling an interview or an oath ceremony should be a straight-forward process, but that's not always the case.

Some people reschedule with no trouble at all and end up with a new appointment 1 or 2 months later. Some people face complications as their rescheduling requests are not processed correctly, which causes delays of several months.

Speaking for myself, I would not reschedule a USCIS appointment unless there was an emergency. I would either wait until late November to apply or I would apply in July and be prepared to reschedule my vacation in the event of a conflict.

Again, rescheduling appointments is certainly possible.

You've expressed a desire to be naturalized quickly, but you haven't said that there's an urgent need. If there is a family member you need to sponsor urgently or if there's a job offer that will be gone in 6 months, then you may want to apply in July. if not, then there's no harm in waiting until November. I'd enjoy my vacation a lot more if I wasn't worrying about interview letters.

Of course, there's a chance that you could apply in July and be all done by your vacation.

It's a very subjective matter so you need to do what you're most at ease with... if you're the type of person who worries a lot and stresses when you don't get regular updates, then don't apply until November. If you're going to be relaxed about the process and don't mind possible rescheduling delays, then go ahead and apply.

Remember that if you apply in November you'll be setting yourself back by 4 months, which is probably longer than any rescheduling delays you'll face. So it's a choice between being naturalized as soon as possible or minimizing possible stress.

WOW, great response. Thank you.

You are right, besides just 'being done with my Visa Journey', there is certainly no emergency to require this.

I think I might take your advice and wait until October-ish, I'd rather wait a few more months than potential cause issues.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.