mzhomsi

N 400 change state

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Syria
Timeline

Hello,

I Have a question in regard applying for neutralization. I am moving from Florida to NY in two weeks. I am already eligible to apply now but since I am changing states I was advised to wait and apply once I settle down there. I know that there is a three month rule of actual residence in the state I am applying from before filing but I was reading today on USCIS this:

In cases where an applicant has filed early and the required three month period of residence in a State or Service District falls within the required five-year period of continuous residence, jurisdiction for filing will be based on the three-month period immediately preceding the examination on the application.​ [15]

based on the 90 day rule of applying earlier, does this mean that I can file right after I move to NY without waiting the three months?
What do they mean by examination on the application? is it the interview or something else?
I am trying to get my citizenship asap cuz I need to apply for K1 visa for my fiancee.
I would appreciate any help.

You will have to wait 3 months in NY. They will return your N400 when they receive it. Even if it goes through, at interview they will deny it anyways.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello,

I Have a question in regard applying for neutralization. I am moving from Florida to NY in two weeks. I am already eligible to apply now but since I am changing states I was advised to wait and apply once I settle down there. I know that there is a three month rule of actual residence in the state I am applying from before filing but I was reading today on USCIS this:

In cases where an applicant has filed early and the required three month period of residence in a State or Service District falls within the required five-year period of continuous residence, jurisdiction for filing will be based on the three-month period immediately preceding the examination on the application.​ [15]

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter6.html#footnote-15

based on the 90 day rule of applying earlier, does this mean that I can file right after I move to NY without waiting the three months?

What do they mean by examination on the application? is it the interview or something else?

I am trying to get my citizenship asap cuz I need to apply for K1 visa for my fiancee.

I would appreciate any help.

Nancy is right. You have to wait three months when you move to NY.

The quoted passage is related to which state and USCIS office has jurisdiction over your application of you move after you apply. However, you must have met the three month residence requirement within a state before applying.

So move to NY, obtain proof that you moved there (a drivers license or a lease) and then wait three months from the date on the form of proof that you intend to present... don't mail the application before 90 days have passed.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.