Lococf7

K1 questions for Russian Fiancé

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I just had some starting questions. My fiancé and I met while working on cruise ships and are now looking to file our K1 visa request. The first question is she is a Russian Citizen, but also a permanent resident of Belarus as some of her family moved there years ago. Which embassy would she be interviewing at? I would assume the Russian citizen would mean she would do it in Moscow at the U.S. Embassy, but does the permanent residency change anything? Also, how soon after entry is she allowed to file for the ability to work or is that only after marriage, while filing the adjustment of status paperwork?

Also, once she has entered the U.S. Are we allowed to move. I am currently living in Chicago, but we have plans of heading to Miami or another warm place and starting our life there.

I'm sure I will have more questions, but these are the first.

Thanks and Cheers!

Edited by Lococf7

Not sure about the citizenship issue

About your other questions

- She can file for EAD (permit to work) right after you get married. File your EAD and AP with your AOS so the first two are free.

- You can move anytime you want when she gets here. Just update USCIS about the change in address if/when your AOS is pending.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I just had some starting questions. My fiancé and I met while working on cruise ships and are now looking to file our K1 visa request. The first question is she is a Russian Citizen, but also a permanent resident of Belarus as some of her family moved there years ago. Which embassy would she be interviewing at? I would assume the Russian citizen would mean she would do it in Moscow at the U.S. Embassy, but does the permanent residency change anything?

Yes, she'd have it at the Embassy serving the country she has legal residence in.

Also, how soon after entry is she allowed to file for the ability to work or is that only after marriage, while filing the adjustment of status paperwork?

Correct to the latter. The EAD filing is free when sent along with the 485 AOS documents.

Also, once she has entered the U.S. Are we allowed to move. I am currently living in Chicago, but we have plans of heading to Miami or another warm place and starting our life there.

Wherever you want to go.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.