shippingforecast

Interview in London on Monday

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys, just need some last minute advice. I did a search but couldn't find any similar threads.

Our case was sent to the NVC last October and we sent our documents in in December 2014. My interview is scheduled for May 11th (next Monday). I noticed that the P4 letter stated that I only need to take an updated tax return if we submitted an extension in lieu of an actual tax return alongside our I-864. However I've been told that someone was asked for their most recent tax return at interview held yesterday (I'm not sure which consulate). Is this correct? Should I take along a copy of our 2014 tax returns? I didn't think it would be a requirement.

Many thanks for your help as always.

Edited by shippingforecast

Now chronicling my experience in handy blog format at

http://the-shipping-forecast.tumblr.com/

While it may not be required since you signed and submitted the I-864 before taxes were due, why not take a newer version if you have one? Your spouse can scan and email it to you so you have updated info to show. She can also download a transcript from the IRS that would be easy to email. Then W2s wouldn't be necessary.

Get the one call TAX RETURN transcript http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Yeah, she's gonna email them across to me today, for both herself and co-sponsors. I noted that the guide stated that if your interview is scheduled past April 15th you'll likely be asked for 2014 tax information. I'm glad I caught it in time. I'm assuming I just need to take the returns, not newly completed I-864/I-864a paperwork?

Another thing - we got a checklist in January that stated the tax info on her mother's I-864a didn't match what was on the return. So we corrected it to show joint income as per the return, and 30 something days later got our case complete. A couple of hours after that, we received another checklist stating that her dad's total income on the I-864a didn't match what was on the return either, but just to take along a corrected I-864a to the interview. My wife sent that along in the post to me a few weeks ago. Following the above today I got a little suspicious and went over all the paperwork again, and I noted that she used the figure in line 7 of the tax return (salaries, wages and tips) for the "total income" required on the I-864a for 2013. I think this is wrong... It's the figure marked "total income" on line 22, right? We were wondering why we got a checklist the second time around when they seemed to accept back when we got the first checklist in January.

Ugh, headache!

Edited by shippingforecast

Those lines on the I-864 (I think 13 a b c) are to be taken exactly as they appear on Line 22 of the 1040. The individual income of the sponsor is reported in Section 6, number (5?) If I am remembering the line number correctly.

On the I-864A, it's the same concept. My current income is ________ should be whatever one can prove with a W2, employer letter, or pay stubs. The tax return lines are for whatever line 22 says on form 1040 joint tax return. They do not adjust their joint tax info to match their individual income. They do prove their separate income with something else because the tax return does not differentiate and lumps it all into one pot.

Everything you want to know about the I-864 from the horse's mouth. Skip to about page 23 for the part you are interested in, as well as the last paragraph on page 19. http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdft

Note several references to the validity at the time it was signed is what they are to go by. They are supposed to accept it unless there is strong reason to think something other than the passage of time has changed. That tells me that if the form was signed in Dec 2014 with a 2013 tax return, then simply the "passage of time" is no valid reason to ask for a tax return only required three weeks ago. And by reading the interviewing officer's instruction manual, you can better understand the rules. You can quote the old "passage of time" thing saying it had to be valid on the date signed--full stop.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

EXCELLENT information, thank you so much! As it was only the second page of the form that was off, I've printed a corrected page and swapped it out. I'll go along with 2014 IRS transcripts so I don't require W2s or anything like that, just in case. Like I said, very relieved I double checked and caught this in time.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to respond Nich-Nick, you've been terrifically helpful over the past year or so - remind me to send you a thank you card and a drink when I get through this on Monday!

While it may not be required since you signed and submitted the I-864 before taxes were due, why not take a newer version if you have one? Your spouse can scan and email it to you so you have updated info to show. She can also download a transcript from the IRS that would be easy to email. Then W2s wouldn't be necessary.

Get the one call TAX RETURN transcript http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

So I spoke to my wife about this last night; and as it turns out we can get hold of her tax return, but not her parents. They were notified that someone had tried to commit tax fraud using her father's social security number on their joint tax return, so I think that's being investigated at the moment. I'm fairly worried now that it'll get put on hold until we can send that in to the embassy; I have no idea how long that situation will take to resolve itself.

The last I-864a they filled out was signed on March 31st so the tax return I do have is valid for when the form was signed, so I can bring up the "passage of time" point you told me about, but still in my experience thus far arguing doesn't really get you anywhere when they've made their mind up that they want something from you.

So I spoke to my wife about this last night; and as it turns out we can get hold of her tax return, but not her parents. They were notified that someone had tried to commit tax fraud using her father's social security number on their joint tax return, so I think that's being investigated at the moment. I'm fairly worried now that it'll get put on hold until we can send that in to the embassy; I have no idea how long that situation will take to resolve itself.

The last I-864a they filled out was signed on March 31st so the tax return I do have is valid for when the form was signed, so I can bring up the "passage of time" point you told me about, but still in my experience thus far arguing doesn't really get you anywhere when they've made their mind up that they want something from you.

Scanner and email? They surely have a paper copy of what was filed. I would go with what you have and not bring up the other unless asked. Then if you manage to have a newer return, get it out.

London is not one of those difficult consulates. Much more flexible than most. They do have to follow the rules, but you have read the rules yourself. The reference is the Foreign Affairs Manual, by the way, if you need to say the source.

It is possible that the transcript is not available due to an investigation. Once when I ordered (mail version) I got two and notification that my most recent would not be available until November--eight or so months after filing. I had submitted a statement with mine asking for a penalty for underpayment be waived, so figured mine had gone to the sob story department before it was finalized. (They add a penalty when enough was not held out during the year and you owe a bunch at filing time.)

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Scanner and email? They surely have a paper copy of what was filed. I would go with what you have and not bring up the other unless asked. Then if you manage to have a newer return, get it out.

London is not one of those difficult consulates. Much more flexible than most. They do have to follow the rules, but you have read the rules yourself. The reference is the Foreign Affairs Manual, by the way, if you need to say the source.

It is possible that the transcript is not available due to an investigation. Once when I ordered (mail version) I got two and notification that my most recent would not be available until November--eight or so months after filing. I had submitted a statement with mine asking for a penalty for underpayment be waived, so figured mine had gone to the sob story department before it was finalized. (They add a penalty when enough was not held out during the year and you owe a bunch at filing time.)

I'm just going to be hopeful that they don't ask. I noted that another interviewee (I'm not sure of which consulate) was asked to submit a new I-864 with a 2013 return a few days ago. And I can always bring up that the letter didn't ask for it, on top of the points in the FAM. That said, I'll keep completely schtum about it unless asked. Half of me likes to think they won't even bother asking for the new I-864a.

Other than that, I'm all ready...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

There was no point in posting on here as I had no information to offer you, but just want to wish you all the very best for your interview.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

There was no point in posting on here as I had no information to offer you, but just want to wish you all the very best for your interview.

Thank you so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Congratulations on your approval! Has it sunk in yet, or does it feel like a dream right now?

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Congratulations on your approval! Has it sunk in yet, or does it feel like a dream right now?

I think I'm too tired to feel anything right now but... Part of me is slightly deflated that it took a year of my life to get fifteen minutes of standing in front of windows, but what's the alternative? Would I rather them grill me? No. I'm happy of course but just too worn down to do any more planning until I've had at least eight hours.

I wasn't asked about 2014 taxes and weirdly, they didn't even ask for the amended I-864a the NVC asked me to take along.

Congratulations.

The NVC is so screwed up over those I-864s. They are much harder on you than the consulate in London. And they are so wrong on some items that they checklist. Seems like they could do away with half their bureaucracy by doing away with their convoluted steps and let you show up with your documents at the interview and pay online before you go like the K1s and the DCF spouses. ( I think DCFs still pay in person at the embassy.) That was five months of your life which is accomplished by DCF applicants at a 15 minute interview.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

I think I'm too tired to feel anything right now but... Part of me is slightly deflated that it took a year of my life to get fifteen minutes of standing in front of windows, but what's the alternative? Would I rather them grill me? No. I'm happy of course but just too worn down to do any more planning until I've had at least eight hours.

Yes, deflated was exactly how I felt. After all the paperwork and waiting for 15 minutes of standing in front of windows.

My wife was so excited on the phone and all I felt was, "Is that it"?

Congratulations, good luck and look forward to all the future paperwork.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.