New User 1000

General questions

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

It seems like this site is full of experience and good people that can offer help to people like me. I have few general questions.

1. It is impossible to get proper medical dates in Greater Toronto Area and I am struggling through that. My interview is on May 27th in Montreal. What happens if the doctor gives me a "deferral notice" to take to the interview.

2. Can I enter US and come back to Canada right away to pack/move instead of moving at the first time? Basically I am trying to just start doing the GC process before officially moving as it is hard to sell house in Toronto in middle of summer. Has anyone done this? Will the border have issues?

3. How long does it take to to apply for SSN? Do I have to wait until GC arrives in mail? Also do I have to wait for SSN to arrive in mail or do they gave you temporary card at the office? My current employer can transfer me to work in US but we are wondering how long it takes to get SSN to be on US pay roll.

I will really appreciate any response regarding this. Thank you all in advance.

Timeline

VJ Has been around for many years...Welcome

Yes as a CR-1 or Ir-1...you can enter the USA an immediately turn around..and many do that for the same reason as you

On the one form there was a check box that asked about the SSN..most check that off.....Sometimes it arrives...sometimes it does not. After approx 10 BUSINESS days and no SSN card...1st head to http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ Fill it out..bring the required ID...head to the SSN office and inquire about ur SSN card...if they say, no, not there--u need to fill out a new application..WHAMMO..u hand over the already filled out application! No u do not have to wait until u get the actual wallet sized green card!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

And if you do a search--top right..for Toronto medical, you will come up with past reviews from the Drs that are approved to do medicals. Being that ur in Toronto, u are fortunate..many provinces don't have a single one......Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

If you are still looking for a Medical appointment try this doc. He prefers email. We were able to get an appointment because he caters to people like us who only had a 14 day window from the time we received our interview date to our interview scheduled for tomorrow.

website www.visadoctor.ca for all the details regarding the appointment and (vaccines -US Immigration only).

DoctorLyndon@lmas.ca

Lyndon Mascarenhas, MD CCFP

CLAIRHURST Medical Centre

1466 Bathurst Street (Bathurst & St Clair)

Suite 305,

Toronto, ON, M5R 3S3

Also you can try the Medisys in Montreal. You can drive (or take the train if you want) to get the medical done, then go back 3 days later, get the results, stay overnight in Montreal, have the interview and head on home.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

If you are still looking for a Medical appointment try this doc. He prefers email. We were able to get an appointment because he caters to people like us who only had a 14 day window from the time we received our interview date to our interview scheduled for tomorrow.

website www.visadoctor.ca for all the details regarding the appointment and (vaccines -US Immigration only).

DoctorLyndon@lmas.ca

Lyndon Mascarenhas, MD CCFP

CLAIRHURST Medical Centre

1466 Bathurst Street (Bathurst & St Clair)

Suite 305,

Toronto, ON, M5R 3S3

Hey there, congrats on the interview!! Did you get the docs from Dr. M within a good time? I have only a 5 day buffer from my exam and before my interview, and hoping they will get things to me on time.

Timeline

Hey there, congrats on the interview!! Did you get the docs from Dr. M within a good time? I have only a 5 day buffer from my exam and before my interview, and hoping they will get things to me on time.

Thank you. Yes we did. We had the Medical last Monday and we were able to pick up the packet on Thursday morning. Congrats on your interview and good luck.

Timeline

Hi I was unable to get the appointment with the other two doctors but did send an email yesterday to Dr Lyndon. I haven't heard anything but I did make an appointment in Montreal in the mean time. They have plenty of slots just FYI.

Thank you all for your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.