TracyFan

Financial documents, please help!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: China
Timeline

Hello there, this is Tracy. I am new to this forum. Please bear with me. I filed I-130 for my mom and got approved. Now I have questions about financial documents. First, I got married two years ago, so for the last two years, my husband and I did the tax form together. When I fill out I-864, does my husband need to fill out I-864A since the tax form has both of our names? Second, I need a joint sponsor who is my husband's brother (green card holder), we have the same residence address but not dependent on each other, what kind of form does he need? I-864 or I-864A. To sum up, what are the forms I need to fill out? Thank you so much for your help! Your answer will greatly appreciate!

Edited by TracyFan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

why do you need your brother in law as a joint sponsor?

your husband can't be your co sponsor? is he a USC or LPR and between both of you combining your income don't make enough to sponsor your mom?

please give us more information about your situation

Timeline

hi

why do you need your brother in law as a joint sponsor?

your husband can't be your co sponsor? is he a USC or LPR and between both of you combining your income don't make enough to sponsor your mom?

please give us more information about your situation

Hi! Thank you for your response. We live in California.

My husband is a LPR and he just mailed in his N-400 this week.

No, my husband cannot be my co-sponsor because we didn't have enough income for the past three years. I basically didn't work because I was at school studying. For the past two years, we did our tax form together as a family, and my husband is the head of household on the tax form.

My husband's brother is a LPR. He is divorced and has a nine years old daughter. So I understand that plus my mom, the sponsor's household size would be total of three. My husband, brother in law, and I have the same residence address.

Edited by TracyFan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

your husband doesn't have to file the i864A, since he doesn't qualify even combining income with you, you will need to attach a letter explaining why you don't work and have income and your brother in law will file the i864 as your joint sponsor

Timeline

hi

your husband doesn't have to file the i864A, since he doesn't qualify even combining income with you, you will need to attach a letter explaining why you don't work and have income and your brother in law will file the i864 as your joint sponsor

So I will need two I-864. One for myself and one for my brother in law. Is it correct?

On the I-864 instruction, it says "if you included the income of your spouse listed in part 5, item number 3, .... each one of these individuals must be over 18 years of age and must complete form I-864A". So for my I-864, when it asks the recent three years income, do I just put the income I made or as the ones in our tax form? If I put the income as our tax form (both my husband and I made), does my husband need to file I-864A? I'm confused about how to put the incomes.

Edited by TracyFan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.