Meghan&Andrey

Russian Adoption

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but this is Russia-specific. My husband and I are wanting to adopt. We would really love to adopt from Russia. Since I'm American, I obviously cannot do that. But does anyone happen to know anything about it being allowed if one spouse is a Russian citizen? Or if that isn't allowed, maybe my husband can adopt & then what..we have to go through another immigration process to get the child here then I can adop him/her? This is so complicated. We are planning to adopt one or two American children that are older. But infants are nearly impossible to adopt here without a huge amount of money. That's why we would like to adopt from Russia plus having ties to my husband's homeland.

04/23/2014- Mailed I-129F petition

04/24/2014- Arrived at Dallas lockbox

04/29/2014- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1: routed to Texas Service Center

05/01/2014- Received NOA1 hardcopy, Alien Registration # changed

08/08/2014- Text & email saying we were transferred to another center (from TSC to CSC)

09/22/2014- Received electronic NOA2 dated 9/19/2014

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

12/17/2014- Interview: APPROVED

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

03/26/2015- Mailed off Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization Document & Advanced Parole

04/06/2015- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1 for all three

04/13/2015- Received NOA1 hardcopies for all three dated 4/3/2015
04/18/2015- Received NOA for biometrics appointment dated 4/10/2015

04/28/2015- Biometrics appointment in Houston

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but this is Russia-specific. My husband and I are wanting to adopt. We would really love to adopt from Russia. Since I'm American, I obviously cannot do that. But does anyone happen to know anything about it being allowed if one spouse is a Russian citizen? Or if that isn't allowed, maybe my husband can adopt & then what..we have to go through another immigration process to get the child here then I can adop him/her? This is so complicated. We are planning to adopt one or two American children that are older. But infants are nearly impossible to adopt here without a huge amount of money. That's why we would like to adopt from Russia plus having ties to my husband's homeland.

The law, when passed, said the Russian citizen has to remain a resident of Russia throughout the process to adopt a child. There has been ongoing debate on this as the Duma has recognized that this does not reconcile completely with existing citizenship laws which are not based on residency.

I'm not aware of any recent changes but I havent been following closely. I didn't find anything online to indicated they've done anything beyond discussing possible changes. There might be more current information checking directly with Russian sources.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I did a little more research as did my husband. He said that in the eyes of Russia, we are a Russian family. He is still a full Russian citizen. So, we would be able to adopt. However, I think that we would have to do the living with the child in Russia for the two years before we could immigrate him/her. I don't know how living in Russia for that long would work with my husband's immigration status. Well, it wouldn't work. So I guess if we get to our last resort, we would have to just go live in Russia.

04/23/2014- Mailed I-129F petition

04/24/2014- Arrived at Dallas lockbox

04/29/2014- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1: routed to Texas Service Center

05/01/2014- Received NOA1 hardcopy, Alien Registration # changed

08/08/2014- Text & email saying we were transferred to another center (from TSC to CSC)

09/22/2014- Received electronic NOA2 dated 9/19/2014

12/16/2014- Medical Exam

12/17/2014- Interview: APPROVED

01/17/2015- POE-Houston

03/07/2015- Got married!

03/26/2015- Mailed off Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization Document & Advanced Parole

04/06/2015- Personal Check cashed, electronic NOA1 for all three

04/13/2015- Received NOA1 hardcopies for all three dated 4/3/2015
04/18/2015- Received NOA for biometrics appointment dated 4/10/2015

04/28/2015- Biometrics appointment in Houston

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I did a little more research as did my husband. He said that in the eyes of Russia, we are a Russian family. He is still a full Russian citizen. So, we would be able to adopt.

Probably, but the child may not be allowed to leave.

However, I think that we would have to do the living with the child in Russia for the two years before we could immigrate him/her.

It might be more. PM me as my wife has personal experience.

I don't know how living in Russia for that long would work with my husband's immigration status. Well, it wouldn't work.

Correct, AOS assumes the the majority of the year is spent living in the US>

So I guess if we get to our last resort, we would have to just go live in Russia.

Correct.

PM me and I can get you in touch with my wife if you want better info, at least from her experience, which she has.

Phil

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.