Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Adding middle name and married name on I-751 application?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

My time for filing the I-751 is coming up in a week (the 90 day window opens), and I'm almost done preparing a package. But I have one issue: I want to change my name.

FYI, I'm the immigrant spouse, from Japan, married to an US citizen. Below is my story.

When I got married, my designated last name was my husband's last name on the receipt, but I didn't do anything about it and I always used my maiden name. My conditional green card has my maiden name too. Before filing I-485, I had an infopass and the immigration officer told me that I could change my last name without filing additional fee if I simply wrote my last name as my married name on the application form. At that time I wasn't sure what I wanted my last name to be, because I didn't want to get rid of my maiden name, but now I want to keep my maiden name as my middle name and my last name as my husband's name.

Today I called USCIS and asked if I could just add my maiden name as a middle name on the I-751 application form. This lady said no. Sounded like simply changing my last name to my married name was fine, because I have a marriage certificate, but since no documents record my middle name, (Japanese people don't get middle names) I have to have court order and include the receipt in the package.

But when I read some threads here, it looks like some people could add their maiden name as middle name and married name as last name on I-751. Do I really have to go through court first? When I talked about this to my friend, she says go to Social Security Center before anything no matter what the lady on the phone said, but she knows nothing about immigration. I would really appreciate it if anybody who actually went through the same thing could tell me what to do.

Thank you very much!

P.S. All documents I have show my name as my first name and maiden name.

Edited by Coleman21

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.