Russ&Caro

Colombia - are you waiting for scheduling of interview in Bogota?

261 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks! Yes, I hope that it is processed and delivered soon, so all three of us can go back together.

By the way, my husband said that it seemed to make a big difference that I was there. The official was very serious at first, but once she saw me, she was a lot friendlier. I guess it just depends on the individual. Some people say that it's the same if the spouse or fiance/e is there or not, but, anyway, this was our experience.

Timeline

In my P4 letter, it says that I need to bring an original copy of the marriage license to the interview.

However, in Colombia the notaria never gives you an original. It is always a certified copy. I went to the notaria and asked, and they said there was no way to obtain an original, since it is in a bound volume full of marriage licenses and can't be removed.

Is this a case of the NVC not knowing the rules in each individual country? Because there is no way to obtain an original marriage license in Colombia.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Congrats Kristinaa!

When you say they wanted to see the passport and birth certificate of your joint sponsor, do you mean that they wanted to see a copy?

I had sent a copy of my joint sponsor's passport, but not her birth certificate. Should I get my joint sponsor to send a copy before my interview?

Timeline

In my P4 letter, it says that I need to bring an original copy of the marriage license to the interview.

However, in Colombia the notaria never gives you an original. It is always a certified copy. I went to the notaria and asked, and they said there was no way to obtain an original, since it is in a bound volume full of marriage licenses and can't be removed.

Is this a case of the NVC not knowing the rules in each individual country? Because there is no way to obtain an original marriage license in Colombia.

Congrats Kristinaa!

When you say they wanted to see the passport and birth certificate of your joint sponsor, do you mean that they wanted to see a copy?

I had sent a copy of my joint sponsor's passport, but not her birth certificate. Should I get my joint sponsor to send a copy before my interview?

I was married at notaria 5 in Medellin 11-11-14 and the only original copy is the one with the stamp on it...usually it is blue...

Yes the US embassy in Bogota will want to see the original..I hear people say that they did not ask for it...BUT what if they do ?

I would come prepared ....So to answer your question all you need is the copy you were given on the wedding date....They can tell by the paper

texture if it an original or a color photo copy...The color copy works for the Police Certificate because they are only obtainable on-line..My wife went to DAS

and was told the US Embassy in Bogota knows this is the only way to get it...But they may ask for the original marriage certificate.....

Edited by tiko1426

Timeline

Congrats Kristinaa!

I think that's okay, because all civil documents in Colombia are that way. The birth certificate, too. What shows it as official is the stamp or sticker. They didn't ask us for any originals, though.

Thanks. Yes, a copy. I would say yes, just in case. It's always better to have more than you need. It won't mean a denial, but you'll get a 221 (g) and the case will be delayed. Another thing you might need is proof to reestablish domicile in the US. In one of the consulate reviews, one of the members mentioned that since they were both living in Colombia, the interviewer asked for that. (I don't know if you remember me, but we were co-workers in Bogota in 2012. I just wanted to say that I wish you and your family the best in your new life in the US!)

Timeline

You're Kristina from [redacted] in 2012? Wow, that's amazing. Are you still working there? What a coincidence that we are in the same phase of our lives at the same moment. So great that your husband got a visa!

Tiko, I think you may have misunderstood me. The copy I have of my marriage license is from the notaria itself. They make a certified copy for you when you ask for one of the original license, which is kept on premises and can't be taken out of the notaria. It has the official stamp and everything. Looking over the Bogota embassy's website, it seems that it is acceptable to bring this version to the interview, since there is no way to obtain an original. I sent the same version to the NVC, and in my P4 letter it says to bring an original copy, but I suppose the NVC can't tailor its responses to reflect the different systems in every country.

My joint sponsor is going to scan her birth certificate and send it to me by email. I had already sent the NVC a copy of her passport, and I am bringing a copy or original version of everything I sent to the NVC to the interview as well.

One other question for anyone here with a Bogota interview. I am registering my wife's interview appointment in the Official US Department of State Visa Appointment Service site, and the site said that her case is not ready to register an appointment yet. We have an interview at the Bogota embassy on October 21st, and already received the P4 letter on September 11th. We double-checked that all the info we entered was correct. We sent an email to CSC support to see if there is a problem, but they haven't responded y. Should I be worried or is this normal?

You're Kristina from [redacted] in 2012? Wow, that's amazing. Are you still working there? What a coincidence that we are in the same phase of our lives at the same moment. So great that your husband got a visa!

Tiko, I think you may have misunderstood me. The copy I have of my marriage license is from the notaria itself. They make a certified copy for you when you ask for one of the original license, which is kept on premises and can't be taken out of the notaria. It has the official stamp and everything. Looking over the Bogota embassy's website, it seems that it is acceptable to bring this version to the interview, since there is no way to obtain an original. I sent the same version to the NVC, and in my P4 letter it says to bring an original copy, but I suppose the NVC can't tailor its responses to reflect the different systems in every country.

My joint sponsor is going to scan her birth certificate and send it to me by email. I had already sent the NVC a copy of her passport, and I am bringing a copy or original version of everything I sent to the NVC to the interview as well.

One other question for anyone here with a Bogota interview. I am registering my wife's interview appointment in the Official US Department of State Visa Appointment Service site, and the site said that her case is not ready to register an appointment yet. We have an interview at the Bogota embassy on October 21st, and already received the P4 letter on September 11th. We double-checked that all the info we entered was correct. We sent an email to CSC support to see if there is a problem, but they haven't responded y. Should I be worried or is this normal?

I had the same problem with the registration so we sent an email to the CSC it took about 4 days for their response and then i was able to register the main reason why is important to register the appointment is because while you are doing the registration they ask you to also choose a date to go get the fingeprint done which has to be done before the interview date. Also make sure that the number t the end of the ds form is the number they ask for in the registration, because 2 numbers appear.

I have a question ive heard about some form called the ds 230... i was wondering does every immigrant visa applicant has to fill it out? is that an extra fee we have to pay at the embassy the date of your interview ... im a little lost with this information.

Timeline

No, not anymore. I think of the group of us hired at the same time, now there's only one left. The coordinator is gone, also. Yes, I was surprised, too, cool. Yes, it's great; now we're just checking CEAC obsessively. It went Administrative Processing to Ready as of Friday. It's supposed to change to Administrative Processing again, and then Issued. (I've heard)

I don't think that they would want originals for the passport. I think only for the parts on the interview letter that have a letter J.

jxpm, the DS-230 is just the old version of DS-260.

No, not anymore. I think of the group of us hired at the same time, now there's only one left. The coordinator is gone, also. Yes, I was surprised, too, cool. Yes, it's great; now we're just checking CEAC obsessively. It went Administrative Processing to Ready as of Friday. It's supposed to change to Administrative Processing again, and then Issued. (I've heard)

I don't think that they would want originals for the passport. I think only for the parts on the interview letter that have a letter J.

jxpm, the DS-230 is just the old version of DS-260.

oh ok thx u so much for clearing that up for me:)

Timeline

Hey JXPM,

Thanks for your input. I did the same thing and they got back to us pretty quick. We set up the visa pickup location and the biometric appointment last night.

My joint sponsor sent me a copy of her birth certificate yesterday too. Moving right along!

Now I just gotta get all the rest of our papers organized for the interview and medical appointment.

Kristinaa, is that your baby in the photo? She's adorable! So happy for you!

Timeline

I'm just curious, and I don't intent to hijack this post, but how long has it taken for people to go from NOA2 to Interview at Bogota? I see a variety of answers around the forums, and according to the spreadsheets and tables, etc. it looks like Bogota has problems.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

Marriage : 2013-06-22

I-130 Sent : 2015-09-22 (Filed from abroad)

I-130 NOA1 : 2015-09-28

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-10-30

Waiting for Case Arrival and Case Number from NVC (2015-11-09)

Timeline

Hey Galeano Gomez,

Just updated my timeline. My NOA2 was mid-April, and my interview will be mid-October. So a little over six months for me. I don't think Bogota is the problem. The NVC's computer system was down for over a month while I was going through the process there, which delayed things considerably for many applicants. I got a case complete in August and received an interview date a little less than two months after that.

Timeline

Anyone got any recent medical stories to share? My wife is a little nervous about the appointment after reading some of the complaints on this forum.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.